My first BTL flat, and a host of problems left by vendor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first BTL flat, and a host of problems left by vendor

I finally completed on my first BTL flat and collected the first month's rent from the sitting tenant.
    The previous landlord, unfortunately, left four wheels, two tyres, two huge propane cylinders, lumps of timber, tiles and bricks, a 6ft tin bath (!) a bag of concrete that had gone solid and two bags full of rubbish in an outhouse.
    I spent most of Saturday making a mess of my car (and my back) taking them to the tip and persuading the council to accept them.
    The house badly needs repointing, but the owner of the upstairs flat is short of money, so there looks like a big problem ahead in persuading him to agree.
    The common entrance door wouldn't close because the frame had moved, which I had to get someone to fix, and the tenant complained about the gap in the wall around the gas flue, which I mortared myself.
    Now his television aerial looks as though it's going to dive bomb off the roof.
    It does get easier, doesn't it? Doesn't it?
    Last edited by Harry; 03-07-2006, 13:43 PM. Reason: literals

What made you buy a dump like this in the first place?

Comment

It does get better until the new tenant decides not to pay rent and you have to go to court to evict him...3 months later you regain possession only to find he has trashed the place....hope this has set your mind at rest.
      Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

As for the rubbish, providing vacant possession is supposed to include clearing everything out - no one should have to ask.

The maintenance issue is one that's unavoidable in a few coastal places - Scarborough and Brighton are the main ones - where many flats are sold with flying freeholds. There's a covenant on this one obliging me and the other owner to split the cost of maintenance, but...

As for why I bought it - excellent price from a money-desperate vendor. A little TLC when it comes to selling and I can't fail to do well.

Comment

Send the previous owner a bill for rubbish removal

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X