Gas cert. and leaving before end of term

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas cert. and leaving before end of term

I am a landlord and rent out via an agent. My tenant signed a 6 month contract but after 2 months decided to move out. Can I claim the full 6 months rent from them? Also, they claim they were not given a copy of the Gas saftey certificate and this means they are within their rights to move out immediately? The gas has been checked and I have copies of the cert but the agent did not pass a copy onto the tenant.

Are they entitled to leave without paying the remaining 4 months rent and what is the minimum amount I can claim from them (one months notice for example?)

Originally posted by AdrianC
    I am a landlord and rent out via an agent. My tenant signed a 6 month contract but after 2 months decided to move out. Can I claim the full 6 months rent from them? Also, they claim they were not given a copy of the Gas saftey certificate and this means they are within their rights to move out immediately? The gas has been checked and I have copies of the cert but the agent did not pass a copy onto the tenant.

Are they entitled to leave without paying the remaining 4 months rent and what is the minimum amount I can claim from them (one months notice for example?)
    not having a copy of the certificate is not grounds to vacate the property, and even if they wanted to see this they need only request in writing.

you cannot, howver, charge for 6 montsh rent or refuse to return their deposit. The most you can charge is the actual loss caused and it is up to you to ensure that you keep this to a minimum. So you need to remarket the property and get new tenants in, you can then charge them for the cost of finding new tenants and any rent actually lossed. Your agents should know all this though.

Zoe

Comment

Yes, I agree with Zoe.
      Originally posted by zoe
      Your agents should know all this though.
      Yeah, and they should also have given the tenant their copy of the gas cert!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X