Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Please - Removal of Tenant after Section 21

Hello,

I'm not a professional landlord, we have used an agent to rent our property out because of the housing market.

We have found ourselves in a very difficult situation and I would be very grateful of any advice which can be offered.

Our tenant was on shorthold tenancy agreement for 6 months, this has now expired, a Section 21 was issued which has also now expired.

In short these are the problems we have experienced:

None payment of rent initially, 1 payment outstanding, since underpaid by housing benefit each month.
    Keeping of non-authorised pets
    Property damage

Communications between the agent and tenant have broken down, we have inspected the property once but received abuse and left. We have recieved months of problems from this tenant but have fortunately kept records of everything. The tenant claims that she is being harassed (although this is not the case)

The tenant appears to have no intention of moving out.

We have since instructed a solicitor to aid in removing the tenant, we have received a letter this morning advising us of potential costs for the solicitor, our problem is we simply do not have the money, my question is, is there anything in the following stages which we can do ourselves to reduce this expenditure.

Thanks for any advice - it's appreciated.

Sandy

We can help you - but expect this to take 2 or 3 months
    (a solicitor would be no quicker)

Firstly, can you answer these questions...

Is the property in England/Wales
    Is the rent less than £2083 per month
    Does the agreement state rent paid monthly
    How much rent is unpaid
    What date (exactly) did the tenancy start
    What date was the section 21 notice served
    What was it's expiry date (exact wording)
    Was it a s21(1)(b) or a s21(4)(a)
    Was a deposit taken
    Have you protected the deposit?

I know thats a lot of questions, but without all the info we can't be sure the advice will be 100% accurate

Comment

Originally posted by whyohwhy View Post
      my question is, is there anything in the following stages which we can do ourselves to reduce this expenditure.
      You don't have to employ a solicitor to get a possession order. A lot of landlords DIY the eviction procedure (at much less cost). But you'll need to answer Snorkerz' questions first before anyone can advise you how to go about it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
        by HobbitShire
        Sorry but I must reitterate that she DID provide all documents which were initially requested before both parties signed the lease. This new, rigid requirement for a utility bill only came a day before the agreed move-in date.

This is not a case of a prospective tenant having no paper trail....
        20-01-2022, 01:28 AM
      • Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
        by HobbitShire
        My partner has recently signed a lease through a well known property agent in London.

The lease was also signed by the landlord. References from current + previous employer, landlord, etc, and proof of address were requested before signing, and provided.

Upon signing the lease...
        20-01-2022, 00:57 AM
        by HobbitShire
        Firstly, she already provided the previous lease, along with a document from the municipality of Amsterdam stating that she was registered as living there. I paid the bills as we were living together, and she has closed her Dutch bank account (as is required when you are no longer a resident). I'm sure...
        20-01-2022, 01:11 AM
        by Jon66
        No bank statements with the old address on? These are available freely from your online account, or previous utility bills, council tax bills etc. I find it difficult to accept that they are unable to provide something. I would have concerns if you were my prospective tenant. You need to provide the...
        20-01-2022, 01:02 AM
      • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
        by minorbark
        When you put it like that I'm more inclined to edge towards the S21 route regardless. As much as part of me feels some compassion for the guy and doesn't want to lump more stress on top of someone who appears to be struggling already, as has been said before, none of us are acting as a charity.
        19-01-2022, 22:51 PM
      • Property damaged. Advice please
        by minorbark
        Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
        18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
        by minorbark
        Thank you.

My initial contact with the police was just a phone call to the local station. As I almost half expected they wouldn't give up much info, I didn't particularly push back when they said as much and I left it at that. A formal complaint might fill in a few blanks in the story but...
        19-01-2022, 22:37 PM
        by Hudson01
        A back door way into finding out what did happen (or more info than you have now), is to ask for a callback from the local PCSO who covers the beat area where the tenant lives (go online and start a live chat), he or she will know far more about your tenant that a faceless comms operator at HQ or anyone...
        19-01-2022, 22:17 PM
        by DoricPixie
        Just because someone knocks on your door, even if it crescendos to them banging loudly on your door, it doesn’t mean you have to answer it or have to go and investigate.

If the tenant suffers from mental health issues and the police were sent round because someone thought the tenant’s...
        19-01-2022, 21:47 PM
        by WebLand
        From painful personal experience of this issue... You should formally contact the police, ask them why they broke the door down and ask for compensation. Their lawyer will then write to you with some information which may be useful for you to know (but not giving very much detail). I expect they'll...
        19-01-2022, 21:31 PM
      Working...
      X