Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant query....

Hello
    Later this year i will be made redundant from my job. I will then have a healthy bank balance-but no job. I currently rent and have lived in my property for 6 years. My LL (housing association) has said they would be happy to give me a reference (i am very involved in my local community, including being on the board of my HA)
    I have never had a CCJ or even missed payment and would easily pass a credit search. I would be willing to pay 6 months rent up front, plus deposit etc. I can show years of rent statements too.
    I am moving to a new area and know that i will not be able to get another HA property, so will have to rent privately.
    As for income, i plan to expand the small business that i have had for a couple of years.
    I am a 50 year old single women and i am looking for a long term let-i hate moving!
    Could any landlords please tell me what they think my chances are of finding a LL to take me on? BTW, i would not be willing to have a guarantor-i am 50 years old after all and have paid my way for many years without a problem!
    Many Thanks

From what you have written you are probably a dream tenant for a landlord. I don't think you should have any trouble finding a place.
    I think your objection to having a guarantor in place however is misplaced, if, as you say, you are confident of your ability to run the tenancy properly, it would open up the market for you and would give your new landlord peace of mind.

I don't think it is a good idea to pay six months up front, it gives the impression that, while you are flush now you might not be in six months time. It will be far better to pay the normal month in advance and then pay the next 5 months meticulously on time, that way you will build up your reputation as a good, responsible, tenant.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

If you have been running a small business for a few years then you will have accounts that you can show to any prospective LL.

Is the business moving with you? If this is a home business it may be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
        From what you have written you are probably a dream tenant for a landlord. I don't think you should have any trouble finding a place.
        I think your objection to having a guarantor in place however is misplaced, if, as you say, you are confident of your ability to run the tenancy properly, it would open up the market for you and would give your new landlord peace of mind.

I don't think it is a good idea to pay six months up front, it gives the impression that, while you are flush now you might not be in six months time. It will be far better to pay the normal month in advance and then pay the next 5 months meticulously on time, that way you will build up your reputation as a good, responsible, tenant.
        I agree with jta. You would be welcome to come and live in my rental property (although I don't expect you'd want to share it with six male medical students of varying degrees of squalidness and a tendency to practise minor surgical procedures on each other at the kitchen table.). Also, as far as paying six month's rent up front goes, I wouldn't bother. There is a prevailing neurosis among some LLs on this forum that this means the tenant is running a cannabis farm in the property and wants to keep the LL off his back!

I have on occasions taken six months' rent up front from international students, but only because they were not in a position to offer a home-owning, UK-based guarantor. Most of them had more money than me, however.

Good luck in your hunt.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Hello again
          Thankyou to everyone who has replied. The reason i have said that i would be willing to pay 6 months up front, is because i wont have a job. I will have enough savings to live on comfortably for a couple of years-even if i didnt earn a penny in that period.
          I try to think what would i do if i was a landlord i guess. Would it not be a worry (for the LL) if a prospective tenant has no job?
          The comment about the cannabis farm tickled me-i wonder how many middle aged women actually set up operations like that?!
          Many Thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Flat rental bathroom query
            by Landyman
            Are you saying that the toilet and basin are out in the open, adjacent to the kitchen? Or are they in a separate room?

Does the room have a window? Or a fan ventilator?

It's had to visualise exactly what you mean. Could you sketch a simple floorplan and upload that here p...
            16-01-2022, 23:47 PM
          • Flat rental bathroom query
            by NewGuyOne
            Hello,

A rented flat with a toilet (of course) and basin next to the kitchen, and a bedroom with a quite small en suite - shower/basin/rail for towel ... Is this acceptable in a flat - with no additional separate bathroom?

Flat consists of 1 bedroom en suite, hallway, lounge,...
            16-01-2022, 20:13 PM
          • Reply to Problems with tenant getting work done and not paying me rent
            by axil23
            Thank you Lawcruncher.

Just so I am not reading the lease wrong. Executed as a deed means that it has to say that and be witnessed by a 3rd party right?...
            16-01-2022, 23:23 PM
          • Problems with tenant getting work done and not paying me rent
            by axil23
            I have rented my house to a {name removed} who use it to house Asylum seekers from a govt contract. In June the flat roof developed a leak and they asked me to fix it which I did the next day. 6 months later I get a bill for £1900 for scaffolding, asbestos survey, party wall agreement & for some...
            13-01-2022, 12:05 PM
          • surrender of lease charges
            by jshire
            Hi,
            I'm trying to assist a family member who is in the process of surrendering a lease on a shared flat (all tenants moving out). The landlord agreed as the reasons were reasonable. He's sent an email stating that there will be costs that the tenants have to meet, charged by the letting agent...
            16-01-2022, 20:49 PM
          • Reply to Gas certificate fail
            by MdeB
            But if you had a valid certificate when the tenancy started but failed to give it to the tenant, then I believe that providing them with a current certificate before serving S21 will be OK....
            16-01-2022, 20:30 PM
          • Gas certificate fail
            by ReginaPhalangi
            We've been renting out our property since 2017 and now have given notice to our tenants to leave. However we have just realised that we have failed to get a gas certificate during their tenancy. Is it possible to get the gas certificate now? Would we need to give notice again after we issue the gas...
            15-01-2022, 20:05 PM
          • Reply to No Tenancy agreement
            by MdeB
            There are a number (of the order of 20) of grounds under which possession can be sought. See the Housing Act 1988.

The claim is for the period for which they were paying rent whilst there was no required licence in place, up to a maximum of 12 months. Getting a licence ends...
            16-01-2022, 19:32 PM
          • Reply to No Tenancy agreement
            by MdeB
            That depends on when the tenancy started.

Or, possibly, the one in place when it is given to the tenant. The regulations are ambiguous...
            16-01-2022, 19:18 PM
          • Reply to Wales: New Legislation – your roles and responsibilities
            by steaming
            4. Antisocial behaviour…..a fair and consistent approach to everyone. No. 4 is then not mentioned in the extended information (click link). Surely this needs explaining in detail or, maybe, they haven’t actually thought further that the nine words used. No surprise.
            16-01-2022, 19:17 PM
          Working...
          X