Laminate flooring is chipped- deposit held- deductions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by markbigears View Post
    The deposit scheme always works in favour for the tenants, I find the whole process a total joke.
    So refuse to use it and sue them for the damage through the courts.

OP, do you know how much your LL claimed the laminate cost him to put down in the first place?

Leave a comment:

• markbigears
    replied
    The deposit scheme always works in favour for the tenants, I find the whole process a total joke.

Leave a comment:

• fsl
    replied
    Good news, at least it proves that the deposit scheme works well in favor of tenants when needed and also shows that LL and LA's need to make their check in inventories more detailed.

Leave a comment:

• ratdemon2003
    replied
    Final Decision

Hi again. This is my final post as we have received a decision from the arbitration service. They decided that although we were not liable for the full cost of the floor replacement, we would have to make a contribution towards it. We have received all of our deposit back minus £144.00 towards the cost of cleaning the carpets (£40.00 as agreed) and £104.00 towards the replacement of the laminate flooring. We are very happy with this result as it was less we had offered before the arbitration. Thank you for all your advice, and good luck to anyone going through the process, Dave

Leave a comment:

• ratdemon2003
    replied
    Hi all, thought i'd give you an update. We received just short of £350 of the £750 deposit and so have decided to take the case to the arbitration service. Having submitted all evidence including contracts, inventories, statements and pictures, we are now waiting for a decision or some come back. The lady I spoke to a mydeposits.co.uk said what we had sounded satisfactory however they didnt seem that keen on giving any advice. Just got to wait now, only 2 to 3 months??

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    The photo would be to prove that LL has relaid the floor without OP's consent, not that it was damaged.

All the other suggestions are academic, really, since the check-in inventory does not mention the state of the flooring.

Just let the arbitration service decide. My money is on complete return of deposit unless OP agrees otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• bullybantam
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Take a photograph of the new flooring with today's Election Day newspaper on it, (or tomorrow's) with headline and date if poss, clearly visible.
    Hint - use old fashioned film. Flaws in floors can be made or lost in a jiffy with photoshop.

Leave a comment:

• ratdemon2003
    replied
    Cheers for the comments people, spoke to landlord and he's agreed to return the deposit minus a percentage he believes to be fair as a contribution to the fitting of the new floor. If we don't agree with the reduction, the difference between the total deposit amount and what we recieve back will go to the arbortration people for them to decide. I'll keep you informed as to how much it is and whether or not we accept it, and what the deposit guys tell me tommorrow. Cheers again.

Leave a comment:

• property mongrel
    replied
    if you want to put LL on back foot a little bit and at least feel like you have got some control, write to LL and ask for full details of the floor that was fitted, date of fitting, supplier, cost, details of the product, copy of invoice re fitting etc. if he subsequently claims that the life expectancy of the floor was X years despite having told you it was cheap stuff, you would need to be in a position to disprove this.

pm

Leave a comment:

• bullybantam
    replied
    Not too helpful for present situation, but those plastic milk bottle tops under pressure points help protect a laminate floor. But my bird doesn't like them under her stilletoes...

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by ratdemon2003 View Post
    Thanks again. That sounds like good news then but how do I prove that he entered the property and fitted the floor before our agreement ended? I tried ringing the deposit scheme number but their offfices are now closed. Do you think the date stamps on these posts would suffice as evidence? I tried taking a picture but my phone doesn't directly date stamp images.
    Take a photograph of the new flooring with today's Election Day newspaper on it, (or tomorrow's) with headline and date if poss, clearly visible.

Here's that link to other arbitration cases and their outcomes (thanks to westminster!) Click on 'here' in #1:
    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...d.php?p=193103

Leave a comment:

• ratdemon2003
    replied
    Thanks again. That sounds like good news then but how do I prove that he entered the property and fitted the floor before our agreement ended? I tried ringing the deposit scheme number but their offfices are now closed. Do you think the date stamps on these posts would suffice as evidence? I tried taking a picture but my phone doesn't directly date stamp images.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by ratdemon2003 View Post
    Thanks again, though another twist has added to the tale. Our tenancy ends tommorrow and though we moved out a week ago I have just been round to pick up some mail and drop the key off. To my suprise the floor has been fully replaced and there is no sign of the damage. Am I right in thinking that if it has been done in our tenancy and without informing us, that we won't have to pay for it? Fingers crossed I supose.
    What it means is that he has let himself into your home without your consent which is not OK...and he will struggle even more to get his hands on your deposit, as technically he should have given you the chance to replace/repair the floor yourselves before you moved out. Silly man.

I should be very surprised if you end up paying for this grasping man's laminate!

Leave a comment:

• PaulF
    replied
    I wouldn't be paying anything at this stage. Put your representations to the dispute service asap with full details of what has happened.

Leave a comment:

• ratdemon2003
    replied
    Thanks again, though another twist has added to the tale. Our tenancy ends tommorrow and though we moved out a week ago I have just been round to pick up some mail and drop the key off. To my suprise the floor has been fully replaced and there is no sign of the damage. Am I right in thinking that if it has been done in our tenancy and without informing us, that we won't have to pay for it? Fingers crossed I supose.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X