Make It Illegal For LL Not to Provide Reference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make It Illegal For LL Not to Provide Reference

I am fed up to the teeth with my LL and realise after waiting eight weeks for a reference and the promise of 'It's in the post' that for some strange reason I am not going to get one. I think this is so unfair! I have looked after the property and never been late with rent in the two and a half years I've been here.

I'd like to see the law changed making it compulsory for a LL to provide a reference. In fact I am going to look into it!

How would you construct your requirement? What if L merely decides not to help?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hello Jeffrey!
      Not sure how to construct requirement yet. The general attitude seems to be that his refusal to give me a reference implies I have not been a good tenant.
      I feel I need to stop moaning and do something about it.

Comment

Your tenancy agreement as to rent the property. A reference is extra workload for which the landlord gets no payment. Most of us (landlords or tenants) would not be keen on doing something for nothing - and yet it is expected in this case (not only by you, but by all tenants).

How about when you organise your change in the law, you include some sort of nominal fee - along the lines of a 'subject access request' where a fee of £10 can be legitimately charged.

Of course, a tenant may pay their £10 and find they don't like the reference - I can see a few arguments about that

This might be a starting point... http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/

Comment

I'd be more than happy to pay a fee for a reference and will put your clause in when I get the law changed.
          Thank you for your input!

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
            A reference is extra workload for which the landlord gets no payment. Most of us (landlords or tenants) would not be keen on doing something for nothing - and yet it is expected in this case (not only by you, but by all tenants).
            O tempora! O mores!

Everyone thinks they should be paid for every little thing they do. The way to look at it is swings and roundabouts - you get references free and supply them free.

No wonder Napoleon said England was a nation of shopkeepers.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
              O tempora! O mores!

Everyone thinks they should be paid for every little thing they do. The way to look at it is swings and roundabouts - you get references free and supply them free.

Sounds like a one way street to me.
              Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                Another senseless comment from this poster. Please clarify how LLs giving and obtaining references freely can be a 'one-way street'.
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

These are but one way of minimising congestion, inherently neither good nor bad (although occasionally frustrating).
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                    Another senseless comment from this poster. Please clarify how LLs giving and obtaining references freely can be a 'one-way street'.
                    Not sure why you are so angry?

I meant that the tenant is getting the "work" (reference) for nothing.
                    The LL doesn't benefit from it.
                    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

I think The Saints comment is very mean spirited.

Comment

Originally posted by mishyanne View Post
                        If I want a letter from my Dr, he charges me for it, despite me paying my N.I contributions.

If I want a letter from my mortgage company...

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                          O tempora! O mores!

I have no problem giving free references. I might have a problem if the state forces me to give one.

Comment

Not sure why you are so angry?

I meant that the tenant is getting the "work" (reference) for nothing.
                            The LL doesn't benefit from it.
                            Yes, he does, because as part of the tenant referencing process when that LL's tenants apply/applied for his property, their previous LL supply/supplied references freely to him.

Geddit?

I am not angry, merely a little alarmed by the number of your posts which have to be checked and challenged!
                            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mishyanne View Post

Don't worry about it

Bit of a loose cannon...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                                Jcg76
                                I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                                Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                                24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                              • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                                Jcg76
                                Thanks for the above info, especially the 20-30% info, I wanted to get an idea of the standard/reasonable amount.
                                He does have permission, but we were not informed, although our lease stipulates that we cannot object to any of his building works. SO not a lot I can do about that.
                                Can anyone...
                                25-07-2017, 20:24 PM
                              • Tenant application form
                                Elum
                                Hi all!

So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

Thanks in advance,

Liam.
                                25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
                              • Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
                                aciduzzo
                                I will have three guarantors as there are three (student) tenants. The agency has sent me a guarantee-of-deed sample, but i'm not sure whether i should send a separate one to all guarantors, or just have one listing all guarantors. What do others on here do?
                                25-07-2017, 10:05 AM
                              • Reply to Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
                                aciduzzo
                                I've used landlordreferencing.co.uk for the referencing and RGI. They seem to think it's standard to ask the guarantors to guarantee the full amount. They weren't even sure whether they could provide RGI if the guarantors are only liable for 1/3 rent. So i have asked them to check with the underwriter...
                                25-07-2017, 18:19 PM
                              • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                                Pb21
                                Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
                                25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
                              • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                                leaseholder64
                                It is typically a condition of insurance that there be secure, morticed deadlock, at least for contents insurance....
                                25-07-2017, 17:09 PM
                              • AST end date 31/07/17 advice needed.
                                scooter08
                                Hi, Guys, I have posted a few threads on this forum now and although the section 21 notice is probably invalid I don't want to let the landlord know that yet.
                                I'm after help with writing my landlord a letter. He wants us out on the 31/07/17 and keeps asking me how I intend to leave the keys for...
                                25-07-2017, 09:54 AM
                              • Reply to AST end date 31/07/17 advice needed.
                                scooter08
                                I hear you Wright76 we're stressed out as well. We have 3 kids all with additional needs so don't want any court action and definitely not bailiffs. My landlord doesn't understand why I'm being picky, with the needs my kids have they all need separate rooms. I haven't told the landlord this as it's...
                                25-07-2017, 16:45 PM
                              • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                                Pb21
                                Thanks for your reply jpkeates, although just so I am clear and for the avoidance of doubt is your statement that as there has been damage while we were responsible for the property we are, consequently, responsible for the damage, your opinion or a fact?
                                25-07-2017, 16:17 PM
                              Working...
                              X