Make It Illegal For LL Not to Provide Reference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make It Illegal For LL Not to Provide Reference

I am fed up to the teeth with my LL and realise after waiting eight weeks for a reference and the promise of 'It's in the post' that for some strange reason I am not going to get one. I think this is so unfair! I have looked after the property and never been late with rent in the two and a half years I've been here.

I'd like to see the law changed making it compulsory for a LL to provide a reference. In fact I am going to look into it!

How would you construct your requirement? What if L merely decides not to help?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hello Jeffrey!
      Not sure how to construct requirement yet. The general attitude seems to be that his refusal to give me a reference implies I have not been a good tenant.
      I feel I need to stop moaning and do something about it.

Comment

Your tenancy agreement as to rent the property. A reference is extra workload for which the landlord gets no payment. Most of us (landlords or tenants) would not be keen on doing something for nothing - and yet it is expected in this case (not only by you, but by all tenants).

How about when you organise your change in the law, you include some sort of nominal fee - along the lines of a 'subject access request' where a fee of £10 can be legitimately charged.

Of course, a tenant may pay their £10 and find they don't like the reference - I can see a few arguments about that

This might be a starting point... http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/

Comment

I'd be more than happy to pay a fee for a reference and will put your clause in when I get the law changed.
          Thank you for your input!

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
            A reference is extra workload for which the landlord gets no payment. Most of us (landlords or tenants) would not be keen on doing something for nothing - and yet it is expected in this case (not only by you, but by all tenants).
            O tempora! O mores!

Everyone thinks they should be paid for every little thing they do. The way to look at it is swings and roundabouts - you get references free and supply them free.

No wonder Napoleon said England was a nation of shopkeepers.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
              O tempora! O mores!

Everyone thinks they should be paid for every little thing they do. The way to look at it is swings and roundabouts - you get references free and supply them free.

Sounds like a one way street to me.
              Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                Another senseless comment from this poster. Please clarify how LLs giving and obtaining references freely can be a 'one-way street'.
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

These are but one way of minimising congestion, inherently neither good nor bad (although occasionally frustrating).
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                    Another senseless comment from this poster. Please clarify how LLs giving and obtaining references freely can be a 'one-way street'.
                    Not sure why you are so angry?

I meant that the tenant is getting the "work" (reference) for nothing.
                    The LL doesn't benefit from it.
                    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

I think The Saints comment is very mean spirited.

Comment

Originally posted by mishyanne View Post
                        If I want a letter from my Dr, he charges me for it, despite me paying my N.I contributions.

If I want a letter from my mortgage company...

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                          O tempora! O mores!

I have no problem giving free references. I might have a problem if the state forces me to give one.

Comment

Not sure why you are so angry?

I meant that the tenant is getting the "work" (reference) for nothing.
                            The LL doesn't benefit from it.
                            Yes, he does, because as part of the tenant referencing process when that LL's tenants apply/applied for his property, their previous LL supply/supplied references freely to him.

Geddit?

I am not angry, merely a little alarmed by the number of your posts which have to be checked and challenged!
                            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mishyanne View Post

Don't worry about it

Bit of a loose cannon...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X