Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 21 expiry and prospective tenant viewing period

Hi,
    My tenant signed a 6month AST on 04/03/10 - I am not going to extend/renew the agreement at the end of the term as they are a problem tenant. I have kindly been advised to serve a Section 21 (1)(b) notice, with an expiry date of 03/09/10.

Could anyone tell me if I sould type "...the landlord requires possession after the date stated in this notice or at the end of the period of your tenancy which will end next after the expiration of 2 months from the service upon you of this notice" next to the expiry date, just to safeguard myself. And do I need to send a covering letter with the notice?

Also if I decide to rent the property out again can I show prospective tenants around the property in Aug, or would I need to wait in case they don't move out and I have to commence possession proceedings?

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.
    Many thanks

Originally posted by Harassed LL View Post
    Hi,
    My tenant signed a 6month AST on 04/03/10 - I am not going to extend/renew the agreement at the end of the term as they are a problem tenant. I have kindly been advised to serve a Section 21 (1)(b) notice, with an expiry date of 03/09/10.

Could anyone tell me if I sould type "...the landlord requires possession after the date stated in this notice or at the end of the period of your tenancy which will end next after the expiration of 2 months from the service upon you of this notice" next to the expiry date, just to safeguard myself. And do I need to send a covering letter with the notice? ust type the landlord requires possession after the date stated in this notice. You dont need to send a covering letter with however you should send it and get proof of posting and perhaps hand deliver one as well

Also if I decide to rent the property out again can I show prospective tenants around the property in Aug, or would I need to wait in case they don't move out and I have to commence possession proceedings? you can however given that you are asking the tenants to leave they might not be too happy about alllowing you to carry out viewings whilst they are still there and there is little you can do about this.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.
    Many thanks
    Hope this helps and that they do leave on time!

Comment

Just to add to what Poppy35 advises : it is not strictly necessary to hand deliver, especially if it is a problem T who may refuse to accept it. The alternative is to send TWO copies by ordinary first class post from different post offices and to keep the free certificates of postage from both, just in case you need proof.

I think in the circumstances it may be optimistic to assume that your T will consent to viewings, although a financial or other incentive may sweeten them : try offering to do the end of tenancy 'deep clean' yourself and thus be able to return their deposit ion the last day (assuming no damage) if they co-operate with viewings?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X