lodgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lodgers

My sisters boyfriend works away for long periods of time, he has agreed to take in a lodger (his next door neighbours daughter) so (a) she can be near her mum (b) she can look after his dog! while he is working away for nine months. He does'nt want to rent out the property as such because he want's to return from time to time especially between contracts(work) etc. It is a casual arrangement between friends really but he was wondering whether there was anything he could put in place i.e. legal document that is suitable for this kind of arrangement. Any help please?

is this a lodger or a tenant. Will the neighbour have the house to herself or will she be sharing with teh girlfriend ?

Comment

no she (lodger) will be mostly living on her own, his girlfriend (my sister) has her own house elsewhere and has nothing to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by morgans1
        no she (lodger) will be mostly living on her own, his girlfriend (my sister) has her own house elsewhere and has nothing to do with it.
        If she has sole occupancy of the house then she is NOT a lodger but a tenant and she will have lost of rights in law, formal agreement or not.

i suggest you do a search for AST.

Zoe

Comment

Originally posted by morgans1
          He does'nt want to rent out the property as such because he want's to return from time to time especially between contracts(work) etc.

That doesn't sound much to me like sole occupancy, Zoe. Would OP's sister's boyfriend then become the girl's lodger?
          Last edited by Grange; 02-07-2006, 15:00 PM.
          The contents of this note are neither advice nor a definitive answer. If you plan to rely on this, you should pay somebody for proper advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Grange
            That doesn't sound much to me like sole occupancy, Zoe. Would OP's sister's boyfriend then become the girl's lodger?
            This is why I ask. It is important to establish that this girl is simply a lodger...

Some people do not realise that a formal agreement exists in the form of and AST even if they dont write one or call themselves tenants. If the house is the LL only home, main residence, he lives there and she does not have access to all the rooms I think she could be a lodger - otherwise she is a tenant.

Comment

Would the people I refer to as lodgers actually be lodgers then?

They live in a house owned by myself and my husband and have their own rooms with shared facilities. We do not live there. However, our son does, and it was his home as well as ours before we moved out. The lodgers' rent comes into my bank account and I then transfer it to another account which pays most of the household bills. My son pays no rent (he pays the rest of the bills) and I classify him as my unofficial agent.

Seeing as how the house is, and has been all his life apart from a gap of two years, his main home, do the other occupants class as lodgers even though the rent comes to me?

(edited to add) Sorry for hijacking thread....should I post it separately

Comment

Originally posted by scampicat
                Would the people I refer to as lodgers actually be lodgers then?

They live in a house owned by myself and my husband and have their own rooms with shared facilities. We do not live there. However, our son does, and it was his home as well as ours before we moved out. The lodgers' rent comes into my bank account and I then transfer it to another account which pays most of the household bills. My son pays no rent (he pays the rest of the bills) and I classify him as my unofficial agent.

Seeing as how the house is, and has been all his life apart from a gap of two years, his main home, do the other occupants class as lodgers even though the rent comes to me?

(edited to add) Sorry for hijacking thread....should I post it separately
                i am not the expert but read this

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/lodger...hlight=lodgers

These people are not your lodgers but they could be construed as your sons lodgers and that you are renting to your son. Start a new thread and see what the other replies say.

Comment

thanks for the information Zoe, I've printed it off and will have a chat with him,thanks again.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X