Giving notice to view pushed to limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving notice to view pushed to limit

Ok, I am still slightly fired up by what has just happened here, so I may be just whinging at nothing, but Id just like to share the last half an hour with fellow tenants. Partly to get off my chest but also, from reading similar posts, to confirm how flimsy the word 'notice' is in respect to landlords gaining access....

I have been a tenant for 6 years. My previous landlord has recently sold the house to another landlord. An hour ago I was woken (I work night shift hours) by loud knocking. I slept in the living room so to not miss someone I was expecting later on. The very second I finished zipping up my pants, the front door was unlocked by my landlord, who walked in accompanied by a surveyor. Having no paperwork actually with them, they told me that they had sent a letter giving me 24 hours notice of this and they had ALLOWED FOR POSTING AND DELIVERY of this notice.

At that time I had no knowledge of this letter and told them so. Anyway, after they left, I looked through my mail. Lo' and behold the letter was there.

The letter itself is dated 28th June. The post mark from the post office has been stamped 29th June. I have received the letter today 30th June. The letter states.. 'I am writing to give 24 hours notice that I will be calling at the property' ..... 'on 30th June. I will be accompanied by the surveyor and have keys to gain access.'

Now, yes this is a biased view, but when your landlord is a female and you are male..... This is cutting things damn fine dont you think? She certainly did not allow for posting and delivery. I received the letter this morning. By a fraction of a second I was almost awakened naked, by a female landlord and her surveying buddy.

I certainly feel like I want to write to them about this. Legally I would guess that this case is riding too much on a fine line..

Please advise/discuss

Many thanks to all from a new member!

Yes they're taking the wee wee.

You would actually be within your rights to tell your landlady that you don't want her to enter without you there. You could even change the locks to prevent access if you wanted to take it that far, as long as you change them back when you move out.

However, being a bit awkward may lead to her evicting you.

A stern letter may be what is needed for a starter. Although you don't own the place, it is your home and you have a right to peaceful enjoyment of your home.

Comment

Originally posted by CuLpRiT
      Ok, I am still slightly fired up by what has just happened here, so I may be just whinging at nothing, but Id just like to share the last half an hour with fellow tenants. Partly to get off my chest but also, from reading similar posts, to confirm how flimsy the word 'notice' is in respect to landlords gaining access....

I have been a tenant for 6 years. My previous landlord has recently sold the house to another landlord. An hour ago I was woken (I work night shift hours) by loud knocking. I slept in the living room so to not miss someone I was expecting later on. The very second I finished zipping up my pants, the front door was unlocked by my landlord, who walked in accompanied by a surveyor. Having no paperwork actually with them, they told me that they had sent a letter giving me 24 hours notice of this and they had ALLOWED FOR POSTING AND DELIVERY of this notice.

At that time I had no knowledge of this letter and told them so. Anyway, after they left, I looked through my mail. Lo' and behold the letter was there.

The letter itself is dated 28th June. The post mark from the post office has been stamped 29th June. I have received the letter today 30th June. The letter states.. 'I am writing to give 24 hours notice that I will be calling at the property' ..... 'on 30th June. I will be accompanied by the surveyor and have keys to gain access.'

Now, yes this is a biased view, but when your landlord is a female and you are male..... This is cutting things damn fine dont you think? She certainly did not allow for posting and delivery. I received the letter this morning. By a fraction of a second I was almost awakened naked, by a female landlord and her surveying buddy.

I certainly feel like I want to write to them about this. Legally I would guess that this case is riding too much on a fine line..

Please advise/discuss

Many thanks to all from a new member!
      I'd just evict you mate! (after you write me some letters when your supposed to be sleeping) you sound like the reason solpadeine was invented! You've obviously had words with your landlady she knows the score now - so forget it! - now go get some sleep!

Comment

Pay no attention to this moron - he's a well known troll on here who obviously hasn't got anything else to do! Take any advice he gives with a pinch of salt.

Originally posted by Billy Whizz
        I'd just evict you mate! (after you write me some letters when your supposed to be sleeping) you sound like the reason solpadeine was invented! You've obviously had words with your landlady she knows the score now - so forget it! - now go get some sleep!
        Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

Originally posted by pippay
          Pay no attention to this moron - he's a well known troll on here who obviously hasn't got anything else to do! Take any advice he gives with a pinch of salt.
          he said (looking at pippay's post count)

Comment

Originally posted by pippay
            Pay no attention to this moron.
            Au contraire. If I were the LL and you started writing me stroppy letters, I'd be evicting you too. LLs don't need stroppy tenants. Yeah, she was taking liberties, but in practice you've got very little of a leg to stand on.

Now I suggest you calm down, relax and enjoy the sunshine, rather than working yourself up into a state of righteous indignation all for nothing.
            The contents of this note are neither advice nor a definitive answer. If you plan to rely on this, you should pay somebody for proper advice.

Comment

You obviously haven't read BW's numerous rantings on here ... and I'm not the one posting the query on here ! Yet another thread being hijacked by BW

Originally posted by Grange
              Au contraire. If I were the LL and you started writing me stroppy letters, I'd be evicting you too. LLs don't need stroppy tenants. Yeah, she was taking liberties, but in practice you've got very little of a leg to stand on.

Now I suggest you calm down, relax and enjoy the sunshine, rather than working yourself up into a state of righteous indignation all for nothing.
              Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

You are well within your rights. The LL does not need to give you notice of entry they actually need to seek your permission.

Zoe

Comment

Officially the landlord is wrong to do what she did - but in mitigation, she did send you a letter, and did knock before using the key - yes, I know that does not put the matter right - you have had words with her - so leave it at that. You cannot do anything about harassment unless she pursues a course of conduct - a single "mistake" does not count.

If you want to lose the place at the end of your fixed term, then by all means write a stroppy letter.

You have read the riot act when she was there - she will probably be too embarassed to try that tack again!

Comment

Ok Grange and Billy the kid... I am gonna send you a letter saying I am coming then when I get there I am gonna lbarge my way past you. Its not on.. the woman must have known the surveyor was coming at least a week in advance and should have given more notice.. surly they want to show the surveyor a decent property so would have been in her interest. We found our selves in a similar situation but we did not enter we just opened the door and shouted in. If the tenant had not allowed us access we would have walked away and arranged another time.

to the OP I would not write a letter on this occasion as you have spoken to her but if it happens again I would write.

I am both a property manager and I was a tenant for 3 years. I had a LL who thought they could come and go as they pleased and it was annoying. When you give someone the keys and as AST to a BTL property it becomes their HOME. YOU would not like it if someone thought they could come round as and when they pleased to your home and so you should show a tenant the same respect, especially if you want them to look after your property. Show them respect and hopefully you will get that respect returned. In my experience this often means you get a property looked after and improved as well as rent in your pocket. There are those who trash the place and fail to pay rent but luckily those have been the minority due to the respect we show ppl.
                    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Originally posted by justaboutsane
                      Ok Grange and Billy the kid... I am gonna send you a letter saying I am coming then when I get there I am gonna lbarge my way past you. Its not on.. the woman must have known the surveyor was coming at least a week in advance and should have given more notice.. surly they want to show the surveyor a decent property so would have been in her interest. We found our selves in a similar situation but we did not enter we just opened the door and shouted in. If the tenant had not allowed us access we would have walked away and arranged another time.

to the OP I would not write a letter on this occasion as you have spoken to her but if it happens again I would write.

I am both a property manager and I was a tenant for 3 years. I had a LL who thought they could come and go as they pleased and it was annoying. When you give someone the keys and as AST to a BTL property it becomes their HOME. YOU would not like it if someone thought they could come round as and when they pleased to your home and so you should show a tenant the same respect, especially if you want them to look after your property. Show them respect and hopefully you will get that respect returned. In my experience this often means you get a property looked after and improved as well as rent in your pocket. There are those who trash the place and fail to pay rent but luckily those have been the minority due to the respect we show ppl.
                      All that for what we basicly said at the start

Comment

You need to nip this in the bud now and put it on record in writing so as to head off it happening again. The notice was too short and they didn't obtain your agreement to enter. They can only enter without your agreement if it's emergency repairs.

I had a similar experience but was saved by the chain being on the front door. Like you I was in bed!

I phoned the agent and gave them an earful and they were extremely apologetic. I also explained I was going to have to put the incident and my objections (breech of tenancy agreement) in writing for the record and they accepted this and gave me every assurance it wouldn't happen again. It hasn't. If it does I will refer them to my earlier letter of objection and change the locks.

Oh and I didn't lose the place at the end of the fixed term by standing up for my rights, I was offered and accepted a second term. But if it came to it I would rather lose the place than have this entering happen again.
                        ~~~~~

Comment

Very much appreciated for all the replies people!

I can see sense in what your all saying. Ill probably speak to her at the office in the week, as at the time, I'd had just 2hours sleep and was unaware of the letters' dates etc. The fact remains though that if I hadnt expected a package from mr postie that day, she wudve walked in to find me asleep and naked on the sofa.

I didnt mention this before, but 2 days earlier, I had a very insistant knocking from someone. Not expecting anyone, I didnt answer. Now I realise that this was the surveyor. On his own... He stood with his clipboard at the door and yapped away extensively on his mobile. I guess now that he was informing the landlord and was arranging the more official route. Im sure he tried getting her to come down then with the keys. He was yapping for a good while.

I need to just have a word in her ear to request that she gives more chance through the post. Unfortunately, it is worrying me that the same thing can happen again. I got 2 kids staying here for half of the week. And more importantly, im shy! I aint renting my naked bits! I mean, she has my fone numbers, she knows I work nights.The fact that she showed no consideration to a troublefree 6 year tenant has just spelt out how much money they must have rolling on this deal.

Anyhoo.. ! Very grateful to you all for responding. Hope I can return the favour soon

Comment

Like many things, yes you are within your rights. But effectively your rights are worthless because... if living with the new LL is as stressful as it sounds, move out. If you're unpleasant enough to the new LL you'll quite likely be moving out anyway...

If you were a 1977 Rent Act tenant, then it would be quite a different matter.

As it is, you may have a bad LL, so would be better off moving out.
                            The contents of this note are neither advice nor a definitive answer. If you plan to rely on this, you should pay somebody for proper advice.

Comment

Well, I went to speak to her 2day. Just to request an extra day when sending thru the post....

"Ive already given an extra day. That is an extra day"

So no luck appealing to any common courtesy. Shes in contracts land...
                              I gave her my fone numbers AGAIN. There is no excuse 4 it 2 happen again...

...... Why do I get the feeling it will?!?!

Thanks again to every1.

Best regards

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X