Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rules regarding replacement showers

Hi all,

I am in the process of replacing the shower for my tenants. I plan to install a mixer shower in place of the bath taps. My plumber tells me that there are new regulations that mean I should install a thermostatically controlled shower.

I can't find any information on this and am not sure the plumber is correct. Does anyone know? I'm new to all this!

Thanks

Hatster

Go to a plumbers merchant or B&Q and ask the tradesman advisor.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatster View Post
      Hi all,

I am in the process of replacing the shower for my tenants. I plan to install a mixer shower in place of the bath taps. My plumber tells me that there are new regulations that mean I should install a thermostatically controlled shower.
      Yes, the blue tap and the red tap, turn until you have the right temp!

seriously, who creates these policies? Is a political body?

Comment

Originally posted by Bazdaa View Post
        Yes, the blue tap and the red tap, turn until you have the right temp!

seriously, who creates these policies? Is a political body?
        It's not always as simple as you suggest, although I understand what you are getting at.

In some domestic water systems, the temperature of the water coming out of the mixer tap can fluctuate (despite having been 'preset' as it were by the user), when someone somewhere else in the property turns a hot or cold tap on. If that reduces the flow of hot water to the mixer tap in the bathroom/shower, the worst that can happen is that the person in the shower has the unpleasant experience of the water going a bit cold on them. If it reduces the flow of cold water, then scalding can occur. This happened to someone I know when they moved into a new home and weren't warned about it - the previous owner had been a sole occupier, so the problem had never arisen. I think it depends the nature of the hot-water system, how well designed it was in the first place and whether extra showers, etc., have been added since the original installation.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Hatster View Post
          Hi all,

I can't find any information on this and am not sure the plumber is correct. Does anyone know? I'm new to all this!
          You'll find chapter and verse on this in the relevant Building Regulations here (see page 25). Plumber is correct in that there are new regs to this effect; however the general rule with building regs is tha whereas new builds have to comply, there is no onus on owners of older properties to upgrade them every single time the rules change. That said, if you're installing a new mixer shower as opposed to simply replacing an old one like-for-like, maybe this rule might apply here. But I don't know for sure either way.

Building Regs dept at your local council would probably be your best point of call.

Comment

a thermostatically controlled bath/shower mixer is likely to cost quite a bit more than a non-thermostatic mixer.

There is no legal obligation to fit a thermostatic one, as Eric says, building regs are not applicable in this case. However, personally i probably would fit thermostatic just to cover my own back in the unlikely event of the tenant scalding themselves. What is the difference in price?

Comment

True, if your doing the work anyway then upgrade. I would. However I would be p&ssed if a reg came in forcing ll to change from old to new.

Ultimately, I think this does not bode well for Tenants as I believe rents will be forced up to cover regs!

Comment

Originally posted by Bazdaa View Post
                True, if your doing the work anyway then upgrade. I would. However I would be p&ssed if a reg came in forcing ll to change from old to new.
                Ultimately, I think this does not bode well for Tenants as I believe rents will be forced up to cover regs!
                this cannot and will not ever happen - the building regulations change regularly, yet it would be totally impractical to enforce these changes onto every property in the land - for example, required insulation thicknesses increase regularly - it would be ridiculous if everyone in older houses had to upgrade them every time.

Building regulations only come into play when work is done which requires them - work such as new builds, extensions, conversions, new bathrooms (i.e. where there wasn't one before, NOT just a refit of an existing one) and major structural changes. Even then, the regulations usually only apply to the part of the building being worked on, not the whole property.

As far as i can tell, the ONLY explicit regulation that must be adhered to when letting property is that you must have a gas safety certificate (HMO's excepted). The housing act also requires the property is safe, but there are no specific requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by owen View Post
                  As far as i can tell, the ONLY explicit regulation that must be adhered to when letting property is that you must have a gas safety certificate (HMO's excepted).
                  ... and an EPC!

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                    ... and an EPC!
                    oh yeah forgot about that, easily done

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                      ... and an EPC!
                      and....

* Need to have fire labels on soft furnishings.
                      * Need to follow the deposit protection rules.

Comment

Originally posted by owen View Post
                        As far as i can tell, the ONLY explicit regulation that must be adhered to when letting property is that you must have a gas safety certificate (HMO's excepted).
                        HMOs excepted?
                        I've never heard of this. Surely you are mistaken?

Comment

Originally posted by HairyLandlord View Post
                          HMOs excepted?
                          He is mistaken.

HMOs definitely need annual CP12 gas safety certificates, just like any other rental property.
                          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by HairyLandlord View Post
                            HMOs excepted?
                            sorry i didn't make myself clear - HMO's obviously need a gas cert AS WELL AS a whole raft of other legal requirements. My point was that non-HMO's have very few legal requirements.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to MCOL & PCOL
                              by OS7
                              Just to close of this thread : telephone hearing took place and after a lengthy hearing - the defendants application to set aside CCJ was dismissed and a CCJ with an instalment order was ordered by the Judge. He said he saw no real prospect of the defendant defending the claim, however to resolve he...
                              30-11-2021, 05:44 AM
                            • MCOL & PCOL
                              by OS7
                              Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
                              04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
                            • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                              by AndrewDod
                              Even if you are an AST "tenant", you are tenant of Sarah, not a tenant of Sarah's landlord. If Sarah ceases to be a tenant that does not make you a tenant of Sarah's landlord (nor does any deposit you paid to Sarah have anything to do with Sarah's landlord).

Sarah's right of...
                              29-11-2021, 23:05 PM
                            • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                              by Bert1e
                              Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
                              28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
                            • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                              by jpkeates
                              There's not normally an issue with the gas certificate timing other than the very first one.
                              That said email is not how you give people documents like that, unless the tenant has agreed to be served them by email.
                              29-11-2021, 18:16 PM
                            • Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                              by Mr. Sparkle
                              About 3 weeks ago I had a gas certificate issued.

I forgot to email the tenant a copy of the document.

I plan to evict the tenant with either a Section 8 or 21 and want to know whether there is any issue regarding the delay to give the tenant the gas cert?

There...
                              29-11-2021, 14:15 PM
                            • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                              by theartfullodger
                              No idea if the GSC you have is OK or not (1st place, you don;t say) or what the timing is for when it should be served. So difficult to answer.

But...

s8 not an issue

s21 see
                              https://nearlylegal.co.uk/section-21-flowchart/

- there's...
                              29-11-2021, 17:50 PM
                            Working...
                            X