Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T wants to replace Cooker

Hi all,

Hope everyone's Bank Holiday is going well and not a complete washout....

Just a quick Q. I need some help with:

T doesn't like the electric cooker that is in the property, claims it is too slow in cooking and so would I replace it. I suggested that I would replace it if it stopped working rather than because it isn't fast enough etc.

Some time has passed and T now has a friend who is giving away a second hand electric cooker, which she wishes to put in place of the one currently in the property, so,

1. Is this a good idea to let T replace the appliance themselves?
    2. What paperwork do I need (amendments/additions to tenancy)
    3. Does T need to get the cooker declared safe to use by a qualified person, who then installs it as well etc?
    4. Who is responsible for repairs/anything going wrong (worst case scenario: electrocution) with appliances that T put in the property?

Your advice/ suggestions are much appreciated

Originally posted by Alleycat View Post
    1. Is this a good idea to let T replace the appliance themselves?
    Not recommended.
    2. What paperwork do I need (amendments/additions to tenancy)
    Update inventory to include change of cooker.

3. Does T need to get the cooker declared safe to use by a qualified person, who then installs it as well etc?
    4. Who is responsible for repairs/anything going wrong (worst case scenario: electrocution) with appliances that T put in the property?
    If T supplies and installs the electric cooker, then she is responsible for checks and maintenance. T may also insist on cooker's removal at tenancy end.

Another approach would be for the LL to install a gas cooker, and be responsible for the annual gas safety check and maintenance.
    The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Your advice/ suggestions are much appreciated
      Have you considered what would happen at the end of the tenancy if you allow this... are you in principle happy for the tenant to dispose of your old cooker now, and then take her own with her when she leaves, leaving you with none? Or would one of you (who?) need to store the old one (where?) until then? Or would she leave it behind for you when she leaves?

Comment

I would permit the tenant to replace the cooker with her own at her expense provided that
        i) The tenant accepted that he/she was responsible for the maintenance of the cooking facility in the property.
        ii) The tenant accepted that he/she would have the original cooker refitted at the end of the tenancy
        iii) The tenant accepted a revision to the inventory to the effect that a deduction could be made from the deposit to re-fit the old cooker if the tenant does not do this.
        iv) The tenant stores the old cooker in a secure dry environment until it is re-fitted.

P.P.
        Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X