Query on "contractual periodic tenancy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query on "contractual periodic tenancy"

I have a client who wishes us to insert a clause into our standard agreement that states the tenants also have to give 2 months notice should they wish to vacate. I have informed him that whilst he can put this in the contract, even if the tenants sign this, that this clause is not enforcable and as his agents we would not be willing to enforce it. His reply to me was

"Please do insert a clause about the 2 months notice because my understanding is that if this is agreed (i.e. in initial lease and also in writing between tenant and landlord just prior to the end of the fixed term) then the Statutory Periodic Tenancy can be varied to become a Contractual Periodic Tenancy agreement with an enforceable 2 months notice either way"

Anyone have any ideas of whether this is correct or not? I know a contractual periodic tenancy is only created when the original tenancy does not have a fixed term which is not true in this case.

Thanks in advance

Why not create a letting which expressly runs:
    a. for fixed term; and thereafter
    b. as a contractual periodic?
    That way, no SPT will ever arise.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

ok, but how can a tenancy become a contractual periodic after a fixed term and what, if any are the implications and will the 2 months notice be acceptable?

Comment

Are you confusing:
        a. an AST/SAT that the Agreement grants for a fixed term (1988 Act continues it as SPT; with
        b. an AST/SAT that the Agreement expressly grants for a fixed term plus a periodic contractual continuation (1988 Act never creates SPT)?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

If you grant a fixed term and no more, then any provision in the agreement as to termination of the statutory periodic tenancy is of no effect. If you grant a fixed term which is to continue bi-monthly that is a bit of a two edged sword as what you are granting is a term equal to the expressed fixed term plus two months, and, when you want to serve a section 21 notice, if you just miss the end of a two monthly period you will end up having to serve almost fourth months' notice. Further, it creates complications and confusion if the rent is payable monthly but the periodic tenancy is bi-monthly.

Tell your client to keep it simple and not to listen to barrack room lawyers and that trying to get round having a void period is just so lower-middle class.

Comment

Thanks. I have told him that we would not enforce the 2 months notice should the tenant query it.

You are right LC, he just wants to avoid a void period but like I have told him its a lovely cottage and was let first viewing so no reason to think it will be empty for very long.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to MCOL & PCOL
              by Perce
              OS7

Yes you can start your application now. The sooner the better, I think, as it takes time. My solicitors applied in the middle of Jan but I have not heard anything yet neither from the County Court nor The High Court (I applied to both).

As far as I know the tenants...
              24-01-2021, 19:06 PM
            • MCOL & PCOL
              by OS7
              Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
              04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
            • Reply to Tenant county court claim
              by alice123
              I would get the advice of a good solicitor , he will charge but he will be able to help
              I personally think you did all you could to prevent this and the fact that you have -

'we offered a professional mould clean, a dehumidifier and a to visit the flat to inspect the mould ourselves....
              24-01-2021, 18:51 PM
            • Tenant county court claim
              by Jennyturn
              Hello,

I would really appreciate some advice before I contact a solicitor.

In October my tenant reported that their was water coming in through a extractor fan via our agent. Who sent a contractor who recommended a damp report.

I agree to this and it stated damp...
              24-01-2021, 13:14 PM
            • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
              by OS7
              Thanks Perce.
              I hope to speak to council tomorrow to let them know my intentions to evict.
              I also wanted to ask about your HCEO proceedings. Have you heard anyyhing back.
              Could I also ask as I am going via county court enforcement, could I start the application now for county court...
              24-01-2021, 18:02 PM
            • Reply to What happens when furlough ends?
              by Neelix
              a bit like lots of UK benefits...
              24-01-2021, 17:39 PM
            • What happens when furlough ends?
              by JK0
              A worrying thought has occurred to me tonight. If furlough ends on 30th April, as I believe it's meant to, are we going to find loads more tenants unable to pay their rent?

I know one of mine is a taxi driver, and I'm amazed he's managed to come up with the rent so far.

Any...
              23-01-2021, 19:40 PM
            • Reply to Renting to a housing professional
              by Hudson01
              Covid or not, no one will walk over any of my rental thresholds without me first meeting them, never have and never will, I put this alone down to why after many years in the BTL arena i have had zero arrears and zero notable issues.

Its sounds odd behavior, that alone would be a no.
              24-01-2021, 17:24 PM
            • Renting to a housing professional
              by Celibin
              I have advertised a good size flat in a small town via an established Letting agent. A chap who lives some 60 miles away and will be working from home has got a colleague locally to visit the place and an offer has been made on it. (e will not be seeing the flat himself (as far as I am aware) and prefers...
              22-01-2021, 15:49 PM
            • Reply to What happens when furlough ends?
              by Hudson01
              I can see that point of view, my concern is the length of it and how people can easily become comfortable in getting paid very well for doing nothing at all, then getting back to work. My job has meant i have worked throughout the pandemic and in fact have been even more busy than normal, i have talked...
              24-01-2021, 17:09 PM
            Working...
            X