Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 month or 12 month ast

Hi I am new.

I have a potential tenant who wants a 12 month contract without a break clause. I want the flexibility on both sides to ask the tenant to leave before if necessary so would like a break clause. Am I right in thinking that a 6 month AST which then becomes a periodic tenancy is essentially the same as a 12 month AST with a 6 month break clause? They both allow you to ask the tenant to leave after 6 months?

Thanks

Mary Ann

Yes, but with a 6 month break clause the break is likely to be at 6 months only, whereas with an SPT the break can be at 6 / 7 / 8 /9 etc months.

Also, you can insist on specific notice periods for a break clause, whereas an SPT you are restricted to what statute says (1 month T / 2 months LL)

Comment

Originally posted by MaryAnn View Post
      Hi I am new.

I have a potential tenant who wants a 12 month contract without a break clause. I want the flexibility on both sides to ask the tenant to leave before if necessary so would like a break clause. Am I right in thinking that a 6 month AST which then becomes a periodic tenancy is essentially the same as a 12 month AST with a 6 month break clause? They both allow you to ask the tenant to leave after 6 months?

Thanks

Mary Ann
      There is also the issue of fixing the rent amount for an extended period, which clearly works both ways, in a falling market you gain and a rising market you lose

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X