Surrender of Tenancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surrender of Tenancy

I issued a section 21 notice giving 2 months notice, 1 week later the tenant did not return calls when rent became due on visiting the property it could be seen that they had removed their property leaving the place almost empty. On Monday they finally made contact to advise that they had moved out and would not come back, requested me to contact the utility companies for final readings and account and instructed me to dispose of any items remaining in the property. I requested a forwarding address but this was refused. The keys were left in the property. Is this effectively voluntary surrender of the tenancy. I would note that the are also in breach of the tenancy agreement on a number of accounts. The property has been left in an terriable state. I am now concerned that they have spoken to the council regarding re-housing and been informed that they should not have left and could have remained without paying rent and waited for a court order to be evicted. What is my position can they demand to move back in or have they by their actions surrendered the tenancy.

Contact them again stating that they are liable to pay rent until you receive a written notice surrendering the property.

If you believe they may be claiming housing benefit, tell them that you will be applying to the HB dept for their new address, and they will be required to give it due to you starting legal proceedings against them.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X