X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• westminster
    replied
    Originally posted by scribbler View Post
    The original tenancy was a fixed term for 6 months started on the 14th may 2008. This became a statutory periodic tenancy. However, on the 1st June 2009 there was a new tenancy agreement granted verbally with rent payable from the 1st of the month. This tenancy was I presume periodic in that no fixed period was agreed.

The tenant then gave me notice by email on the 15th march that would be moving out by the 19th April but then moved out on the 15th April.

Interesting point Westminster. It was never intended to create a new tenancy. The agreement was to continue the tenancy but with a reduced rent. Would it be reasonable to argue that the tenancy was just a continuation of the statutory periodic tenancy but with a reduced rent and changed payment date?
    You're giving contradictory information.

However, if the latter is the true situation and what was really agreed, then yes I think it's reasonable to argue that. Because the periods of a statutory periodic tenancy are calculated, not by the rental payment date, nor by the sum of rent, but by the date the fixed term ended and the frequency of the rental payments.

Again, assuming that I've guessed correctly that the last day of the fixed term was 13th November, then the periods run 14th to 13th of the month.

T gave notice on 15th March (two days into a period), therefore his liability would continue up to and including 13th June.

Nevertheless, if T disputed it, given that the agreement was oral/verbal, it's possible he could succeed in arguing that a new contractual periodic tenancy was created (in which case his liability would continue only up to 30th April - and TDS may argue that the deposit isn't protected).

Either way, his liability extends beyond 15th/19th April (whichever he is claiming).

Leave a comment:

• scribbler
    replied
    Interesting point Westminster. It was never intended to create a new tenancy. The agreement was to continue the tenancy but with a reduced rent. Would it be reasonable to argue that the tenancy was just a continuation of the statutory periodic tenancy but with a reduced rent and changed payment date?

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
    I think that you can prove the contractual periodic tenancy began on the 1st of the month. Therefore, notice given 19th March would make the last day of the tenancy 30th April.
    If a new contractual periodic tenancy was created on 1st June 2009, (and the new rent agreed further evidences this), then this raises the spectre of deposit protection. The deposit should have been re-protected against the new tenancy.

Scribblers's original post asked whether TDS adjudication would uphold rent liability under a periodic tenancy to the end of a period etc.

If Scribbler means TDS as in http://thedisputeservice.co.uk/ then the deposit won't be protected, because it has not been re-registered for the new tenancy, and the TDS's provisions have not been included in the (oral) contract. So the adjudication service won't uphold anything.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    I think that you can prove the contractual periodic tenancy began on the 1st of the month. Therefore, notice given 19th March would make the last day of the tenancy 30th April.
    Yes (as you mean Notice from T). A corresponding Notice from L- s.21(4)(a)- would have to run for over two months, to/inc. 31 May.

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scribbler
    replied
    They did agree to pay an aportioned amount of rent to the end of the month and then start paying a new lower rent from the first. All this was done verbally.

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    The original tenancy was a fixed term for 6 months started on the 14th may 2008. This became a statutory periodic tenancy. However, on the 1st June 2009 there was a new tenancy agreement granted verbally with rent payable from the 1st of the month. This tenancy was I presume periodic in that no fixed period was agreed.
    When the original fixed term expired on 13th (?) November 2008, a statutory periodic tenancy followed, as from 14th November 2008 (assuming I've guessed the expiry date correctly).

The periods of this tenancy would be 14th - 13th of the month, and notice would have to expire on the 13th of the month.

I am not sure that you granted a new contractual periodic tenancy in June 2009. Could well be that you just agreed to amend the rent payment date, in which case the original periods would still apply. What did you actually agree with the T in June 2009? Did T pay an apportioned sum of rent for May 14th - 30th?

Leave a comment:

• scribbler
    replied
    Sorry for delay in getting back but i've been away.

The tenant then gave me notice by email on the 15th march that would be moving out by the 19th April but then moved out on the 15th April.

Again, what would their rental liability be?

Would they be liable to pay rent :

a) for period from 15th march - 15th april
    b)for period from 15th march - 19th april
    c) for period from 15th march - end of april

I hope this makes sense?
    Last edited by scribbler; 12-05-2010, 09:03 AM. Reason: correction

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    What is important is not when the fixed term began, but when it ended. That is because the periodic tenancy starts on the day after the fixed term ends. Further, the periods of the tenancy are calculated with reference to the first day of the periodic tenancy and not the days on which rent is paid, though the two may be the same.

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    No, 14th May - being the last day of the previous tenancy period. UNLESS the fixed term ended 14th April, in which case no notice would have been required to move out on 14/4/10.
    For clarity then. My tenant who gave notice on the 19th march is only liable to pay rent up to the 19th april?
    Unlikely (but not impossible)

So I can give you accurate information, I need the following details...

When did the tenancy start?
    How long was the fixed term?
    How much was the rent?
    Is the property in England/Wales?
    When was notice given?

Leave a comment:

• scribbler
    replied
    For clarity then. My tenant who gave notice on the 19th march is only liable to pay rent up to the 19th april?

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    In which case this would make them liable for rent up to the 15th of May.
    No, 14th May - being the last day of the previous tenancy period. UNLESS the fixed term ended 14th April, in which case no notice would have been required to move out on 14/4/10.

Leave a comment:

• scribbler
    replied
    No it was originally fixed term and then became periodic

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Was it an AST created as a contractual periodic tenancy from day1?

Leave a comment:

• scribbler
    started a topic tenancy notice & rent period

tenancy notice & rent period

My property is let on a periodic monthly tenancy.

The tenancy began on the 15th of the month.

The tenant gave me notice on the 19th of March that they wished to move out.

Is it right that they have to give a full month notice from the start of the rental period ie the 15th. In which case this would make them liable for rent up to the 15th of May.

Is this the case?

Also has anybody any experience of this being upheld by the arbitrators should the matter be disputed under the TDS?

Many thanks in advance

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
    by jpkeates
    It's a loss to the landlord arising while the tenant was responsible for the property.
    It's not necessary for them to have caused the damage themselves or been negligent in any way.

The tenant should try and recover the cost from the police (although they might as well not bother...
    19-01-2022, 13:42 PM
  • Property damaged. Advice please
    by minorbark
    Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
    18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
    by mokka
    I agree fully....
    19-01-2022, 13:36 PM
  • Reply to Deposit transfer
    by jpucng62
    I don't think this is possible and I don't think I would want a tenant who is so short of cash they can't stump up the deposit.

The lifetime deposit has got to include some sort of insurance to cover the short fall & the details have not been worked out yet. Bottom line is - its going...
    19-01-2022, 13:34 PM
  • Deposit transfer
    by Flynn
    I’m currently looking for a new tenant (not using an agent). Something a prospective tenant has mentioned is the deposit being transferred from their current tenancy to their new one via the DPS.

Has anyone had experience of this working in practice, I’ve read online about the concept...
    19-01-2022, 12:28 PM
    by Hudson01
    As has been said by others, he does not need to open the door and it appears his mental health is impacting his behaviour to such an extent that it will keep costing you money......... knowing this, he would have to go.The best place for those suffering severe mental health propblems is not the PRS,...
    19-01-2022, 13:30 PM
    by mokka
    Tenant not responsible if police damage the door in my opinion. The tenant didn’t do it why should he pay?

If I left to go on a random holiday and told no one and the police were called thinking I was suicidal within the house and they kicked the door down and the landlord tried it on...
    19-01-2022, 13:25 PM
    by jpkeates
    If the tenancy ended tomorrow, the damage would be claimed from the tenant.

They're responsible for what happens in the property while they're living there - just as an owner would be responsible, if the same thing happened to them....
    19-01-2022, 13:13 PM
  • Reply to Ending of a tenancy
    by leasee123
    OK.

But where do I stand legally?

If tenants agree to leave as per email, but they don't actually leave, meanwhile new tenant is due to move in. Can I claim all costs, including new tenants claims from me, from existing tenants?
    19-01-2022, 13:12 PM
  • Reply to Ending of a tenancy
    by jpkeates
    I don't market properties until the tenants have left - properties full of tenants' possessions aren't at their best, and there made be things you need to do to smarten it up or fix.

It's not actually possible for a tenant to give valid notice during a fixed term, so you couldn't rely on...
    19-01-2022, 12:51 PM
Working...
X