tenancy notice & rent period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tenancy notice & rent period

My property is let on a periodic monthly tenancy.

The tenancy began on the 15th of the month.

The tenant gave me notice on the 19th of March that they wished to move out.

Is it right that they have to give a full month notice from the start of the rental period ie the 15th. In which case this would make them liable for rent up to the 15th of May.

Is this the case?

Also has anybody any experience of this being upheld by the arbitrators should the matter be disputed under the TDS?

Many thanks in advance

Was it an AST created as a contractual periodic tenancy from day1?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

No it was originally fixed term and then became periodic

Comment

Originally posted by scribbler View Post
        In which case this would make them liable for rent up to the 15th of May.
        No, 14th May - being the last day of the previous tenancy period. UNLESS the fixed term ended 14th April, in which case no notice would have been required to move out on 14/4/10.

Comment

For clarity then. My tenant who gave notice on the 19th march is only liable to pay rent up to the 19th april?

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
            No, 14th May - being the last day of the previous tenancy period. UNLESS the fixed term ended 14th April, in which case no notice would have been required to move out on 14/4/10.
            For clarity then. My tenant who gave notice on the 19th march is only liable to pay rent up to the 19th april?
            Unlikely (but not impossible)

So I can give you accurate information, I need the following details...

When did the tenancy start?
            How long was the fixed term?
            How much was the rent?
            Is the property in England/Wales?
            When was notice given?

Comment

What is important is not when the fixed term began, but when it ended. That is because the periodic tenancy starts on the day after the fixed term ends. Further, the periods of the tenancy are calculated with reference to the first day of the periodic tenancy and not the days on which rent is paid, though the two may be the same.

Comment

Sorry for delay in getting back but i've been away.

The original tenancy was a fixed term for 6 months started on the 14th may 2008. This became a statutory periodic tenancy. However, on the 1st June 2009 there was a new tenancy agreement granted verbally with rent payable from the 1st of the month. This tenancy was I presume periodic in that no fixed period was agreed.

The tenant then gave me notice by email on the 15th march that would be moving out by the 19th April but then moved out on the 15th April.

Again, what would their rental liability be?

Would they be liable to pay rent :

a) for period from 15th march - 15th april
                b)for period from 15th march - 19th april
                c) for period from 15th march - end of april

I hope this makes sense?
                Last edited by scribbler; 12-05-2010, 09:03 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

The original tenancy was a fixed term for 6 months started on the 14th may 2008. This became a statutory periodic tenancy. However, on the 1st June 2009 there was a new tenancy agreement granted verbally with rent payable from the 1st of the month. This tenancy was I presume periodic in that no fixed period was agreed.
                  When the original fixed term expired on 13th (?) November 2008, a statutory periodic tenancy followed, as from 14th November 2008 (assuming I've guessed the expiry date correctly).

The periods of this tenancy would be 14th - 13th of the month, and notice would have to expire on the 13th of the month.

I am not sure that you granted a new contractual periodic tenancy in June 2009. Could well be that you just agreed to amend the rent payment date, in which case the original periods would still apply. What did you actually agree with the T in June 2009? Did T pay an apportioned sum of rent for May 14th - 30th?

Comment

They did agree to pay an aportioned amount of rent to the end of the month and then start paying a new lower rent from the first. All this was done verbally.

Comment

I think that you can prove the contractual periodic tenancy began on the 1st of the month. Therefore, notice given 19th March would make the last day of the tenancy 30th April.

Comment

I think that you can prove the contractual periodic tenancy began on the 1st of the month. Therefore, notice given 19th March would make the last day of the tenancy 30th April.
                        Yes (as you mean Notice from T). A corresponding Notice from L- s.21(4)(a)- would have to run for over two months, to/inc. 31 May.
                        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

If a new contractual periodic tenancy was created on 1st June 2009, (and the new rent agreed further evidences this), then this raises the spectre of deposit protection. The deposit should have been re-protected against the new tenancy.

Scribblers's original post asked whether TDS adjudication would uphold rent liability under a periodic tenancy to the end of a period etc.

If Scribbler means TDS as in http://thedisputeservice.co.uk/ then the deposit won't be protected, because it has not been re-registered for the new tenancy, and the TDS's provisions have not been included in the (oral) contract. So the adjudication service won't uphold anything.

Comment

Interesting point Westminster. It was never intended to create a new tenancy. The agreement was to continue the tenancy but with a reduced rent. Would it be reasonable to argue that the tenancy was just a continuation of the statutory periodic tenancy but with a reduced rent and changed payment date?

Comment

The tenant then gave me notice by email on the 15th march that would be moving out by the 19th April but then moved out on the 15th April.

Interesting point Westminster. It was never intended to create a new tenancy. The agreement was to continue the tenancy but with a reduced rent. Would it be reasonable to argue that the tenancy was just a continuation of the statutory periodic tenancy but with a reduced rent and changed payment date?
                              You're giving contradictory information.

However, if the latter is the true situation and what was really agreed, then yes I think it's reasonable to argue that. Because the periods of a statutory periodic tenancy are calculated, not by the rental payment date, nor by the sum of rent, but by the date the fixed term ended and the frequency of the rental payments.

Again, assuming that I've guessed correctly that the last day of the fixed term was 13th November, then the periods run 14th to 13th of the month.

T gave notice on 15th March (two days into a period), therefore his liability would continue up to and including 13th June.

Nevertheless, if T disputed it, given that the agreement was oral/verbal, it's possible he could succeed in arguing that a new contractual periodic tenancy was created (in which case his liability would continue only up to 30th April - and TDS may argue that the deposit isn't protected).

Either way, his liability extends beyond 15th/19th April (whichever he is claiming).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to MCOL & PCOL
                                by OS7
                                Just to close of this thread : telephone hearing took place and after a lengthy hearing - the defendants application to set aside CCJ was dismissed and a CCJ with an instalment order was ordered by the Judge. He said he saw no real prospect of the defendant defending the claim, however to resolve he...
                                30-11-2021, 05:44 AM
                              • MCOL & PCOL
                                by OS7
                                Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
                                04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
                              • Reply to Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                                by meyou5ick
                                I actually signed the terms in the beginning of the contract, and I have not witnessed this before but these guys had another page where they mentioned this. Now my issue is that given how abysmal their service was and me paying from my own pocket, I should have disbanded the contract then. The issue...
                                30-11-2021, 04:32 AM
                              • Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                                by meyou5ick
                                Dear all,

I was letting my place to tenants that were sourced by this estate agent. The estate agent however misrepresented myself and misled the tenants about what's included in the monthly rental cost. The tenant had complained to the agent however, I had to pay for 6 months of services...
                                29-11-2021, 16:04 PM
                              • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                                by AndrewDod
                                Even if you are an AST "tenant", you are tenant of Sarah, not a tenant of Sarah's landlord. If Sarah ceases to be a tenant that does not make you a tenant of Sarah's landlord (nor does any deposit you paid to Sarah have anything to do with Sarah's landlord).

Sarah's right of...
                                29-11-2021, 23:05 PM
                              • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                                by Bert1e
                                Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
                                28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
                              • Reply to Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                                by Hudson01
                                Did you use them on a tenant find service only ? If so then read the contract you signed and see what it says about what you are about to do, i use the tenant find service but then let the leases go into periodic, i pay the agent nothing and never have done, maybe if i signed another 12 AST a fee may...
                                29-11-2021, 19:44 PM
                              • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                                by jpkeates
                                There's not normally an issue with the gas certificate timing other than the very first one.
                                That said email is not how you give people documents like that, unless the tenant has agreed to be served them by email.
                                29-11-2021, 18:16 PM
                              • Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                                by Mr. Sparkle
                                About 3 weeks ago I had a gas certificate issued.

I forgot to email the tenant a copy of the document.

I plan to evict the tenant with either a Section 8 or 21 and want to know whether there is any issue regarding the delay to give the tenant the gas cert?

There...
                                29-11-2021, 14:15 PM
                              • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                                by theartfullodger
                                No idea if the GSC you have is OK or not (1st place, you don;t say) or what the timing is for when it should be served. So difficult to answer.

But...

s8 not an issue

s21 see
                                https://nearlylegal.co.uk/section-21-flowchart/

- there's...
                                29-11-2021, 17:50 PM
                              Working...
                              X