X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Landlord need to repair the oven?

Hi,

A tricky situation.
    We have a tenant who owes a lot of rent. I am waiting for the landlord to return a signed Sec 8 notice.

The tenant has just informed me that the built in electric oven is not working(I assume it's the element, as the grill works). The hob is fine.

I know the landlord is not going to like having to get it done under the circumstances.

I have looked at this link to see if he's obligated to:

http://www.letlink.co.uk/letting-fac...ligations.html

http://www.letlink.co.uk/letting-fac...ligations.html

but, I can't find anything to say he needs to. Can someone point out if this is the case. If it is, then I know I can get him to do it however hesitant he is.

There is nothing in the tenancy agreement with regards to repairs of this nature.

The tenant has a microwave, and a hob. Could the landlord decommission the oven?
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

I would say if the tenant signed an agreement that included a working oven then you have no right to deprive him of one. He might use this against you in court when you try to evict him.

Decommissioning the oven could be classed as harrassment.

It may be just a fuse. Get Lecky in.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
      I would say if the tenant signed an agreement that included a working oven then you have no right to deprive him of one. He might use this against you in court when you try to evict him.

Decommissioning the oven could be classed as harrassment.

It may be just a fuse. Get Lecky in.
      Thanks for the thoughts, but I want to be able to show the Landlord something in law.

I would only advise decommisioning it if he does not have to fix it, if it were a fuse, the grill wouldn't work.
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

You might find that it would take about a month to get someone in, who would then quote a price for the repair of the oven, which was close to the replacement cost of a new cooker. And then it could take three weeks or more to get the part and install, if LL decided to go ahead.

No, I'm not joking. It depends on the make and model of the cooker, of course.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X