One T (of several) leaves; replacement enters; how to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Westminster
    Would it make a difference if the landlord asked the boyf for the deposit when he was moving in? What I am confused about is the boyf's status in this situation, because he had same responsibilities as other tenants (ie to pay bills, not to damage the property etc) is he a guest or sub-let or just a randomer shall we say?
    Original tenants are responsible, but what if the boyf will decide to come back and claim he is a tenant because he was accepted by the parties, the landlord gave keys to him directly (and accepted A's surrender) and was asking for and expecting his rent every month?

Comment

Originally posted by cherry1 View Post
      Thanks, Westminster
      Would it make a difference if the landlord asked the boyf for the deposit when he was moving in? What I am confused about is the boyf's status in this situation, because he had same responsibilities as other tenants (ie to pay bills, not to damage the property etc) is he a guest or sub-let or just a randomer shall we say?
      Original tenants are responsible, but what if the boyf will decide to come back and claim he is a tenant because he was accepted by the parties, the landlord gave keys to him directly (and accepted A's surrender) and was asking for and expecting his rent every month?
      Although LL has asked for deposit, he can not hold the boyfriend responsible for anything as he is not a tenant and there is no lawful agreement between BF and landlord. Even IF a new tenancy agreement had been issued to BF, I do not think it would be valid because the one you signed would still be in place and there can not be 2 concurrent tenancies for the same property.

Comment

Originally posted by cherry1 View Post
        What I am confused about is the boyf's status in this situation, because he had same responsibilities as other tenants (ie to pay bills, not to damage the property etc) is he a guest or sub-let or just a randomer shall we say?
        But BF doesn't have the same legal liabilities as the tenants. He doesn't have a contract with the LL. If he damaged the property, it would be girls-A-B-C-D who would be liable for the cost of repair, not the BF. Same if he didn't pay rent. His status is most probably a lodger/excluded occupier.

Comment

Anyway, if BF is person5, he cannot be one of the legal joint tenants (limit: 4).
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X