Confirming that all bills are paid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirming that all bills are paid

How do you confirm that all bills have been paid when tenant is moving out?

You don't - the contracts are between the utility companies nd the tenant. Might be prudent to phone the electric/gas/water and council on the day after move out to make sure they know that T has gone and that the accounts need closing.

Comment

So I won't be liable if they haven't paid? Even for council tax?

Comment

You won't be liable for anything that is billed in the tenants names. Realistically, it would be impossible to ensure such bills were paid unless you made the tenants phone each company with their meter readings and debit card and then kicked them out to make sure they didn't use any more electricity

You might want to check with the council who is liable for the council tax right now - ie were they ever told that T had moved in?

Comment

Originally posted by misssmith View Post
          So I won't be liable if they haven't paid? Even for council tax?
          Did you notify the council tax dept when they moved in?
          If not, you may be liable, even if you do produce a tenancy agreement.
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
            You won't be liable for anything that is billed in the tenants names. Realistically, it would be impossible to ensure such bills were paid unless you made the tenants phone each company with their meter readings and debit card and then kicked them out to make sure they didn't use any more electricity
            It's perfectly possible to ask them to provide a copy of the final bill, if necessary receipted by a bank when the final payment is made over the counter, but as has been said, not really necessary.

I do definitely reccommend contacting the council tax and utility cos personally with details - avoids any potential LL liability that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post

I do definitely reccommend contacting the council tax and utility cos personally with details - avoids any potential LL liability that way.
              Just because you don't give details, doesn't mean that the LL would not be liable for Council Tax.
              Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Ignore the above.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X