Dispute amongst tenants- noisy girlfriend of one of them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dispute amongst tenants- noisy girlfriend of one of them

Hi I am a landlord of an HMO split into 5 flats let on AST's. We have an escalating dispute between 2 tenants both long standing. Basically one has a girlfriend who spends a lot of time there and is causing disturbance we thought carelessly but there now seems to be an element of malice creeping in since we spoke to both parties to try and calm things down
    Any thoughts or experience of this or ideas how to resolve it?
    Thanks John

Originally posted by jonny View Post
    Hi I am a landlord of an HMO split into 5 flats let on AST's. We have an escalating dispute between 2 tenants both long standing. Basically one has a girlfriend who spends a lot of time there and is causing disturbance we thought carelessly but there now seems to be an element of malice creeping in since we spoke to both parties to try and calm things down
    Thanks John
    How heavy handed do you want to get? Eviction under section 8 ground 14 might be sucessful.
    The tenant or a person residing in or visiting the dwelling-house—
    (a) has been guilty of conduct causing or likely to cause a nuisance or annoyance to a person residing, visiting or otherwise engaging in a lawful activity in the locality
    If you do decide to go for this, note that possession is at the judges discretion (ie you might fail) and that you do not need to give any notice on ground 14 - serve the notice, then straight to www.possessionclaim.gov.uk with your credit card.

Comment

Thanks John
      Perhaps give the T the chance to remedy the situation (by banning the girlfriend?!) or face a section 8/section 21 notice. The threat of eviction may just bring him to his senses. Or it may not, in which case you will need to decide how heavy to get, as Snorkerz says.

In the end though, unless the neighbour has hard evidence of her being a public nuisance, there may be very little the LL can do, in practice.

By 'causing disturbance', what exactly do you mean?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
        How heavy handed do you want to get? Eviction under section 8 ground 14 might be sucessful.

If you do decide to go for this, note that possession is at the judges discretion (ie you might fail) and that you do not need to give any notice on ground 14 - serve the notice, then straight to www.possessionclaim.gov.uk with your credit card.
        Also use g12 with that g14.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Tenants noisy girlfriend

The disturbance started as just noisy use of shared stairs, thoughtless rather than malicious but when pointed out has now escalated to what seems like deliberate noise both within flat and on stairs. Seems she has a grudge against the original complaint and is going to make them suffer for it.
          Its not ridiculously late or enough to constitute what I understand to be statutory nuisance just subtle enough to drive the other tenant mad.
          I've spoken to her partner( our tenant) but am wary of overdoing it as I dont want to be seen to be harassing him

Comment

The disturbance started as just noisy use of shared stairs, thoughtless rather than malicious but when pointed out has now escalated to what seems like deliberate noise both within flat and on stairs. Seems she has a grudge against the original complaint and is going to make them suffer for it.
            Its not ridiculously late or enough to constitute what I understand to be statutory nuisance just subtle enough to drive the other tenant mad.
            I've spoken to her partner( our tenant) but am wary of overdoing it as I dont want to be seen to be harassing him
            Ridiculous. She needs to grow up - and someone needs to tell her.

Otherwise bf will have to go.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
              by DoricPixie
              In the opening post you said there was 6 month fixed term AST with both your niece and her now-ex-partner named as joint tenants. Now you are saying there was never a tenancy agreement drawn up.

With the benefit of hindsight it would have been better if you'd had your niece pay money into...
              27-10-2021, 06:33 AM
            • Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
              by Yorkie2020
              Good evening all,

I wonder if I could get some advice on ending an AST tenancy in England.

Originally a 6 month AST last Sept between my niece and her partner, I foolishly listed both on the AST as joint tenants and didn't list him as a permitted, there was no deposit paid....
              20-10-2021, 19:44 PM
            • Reply to Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
              by Yorkie2020
              Guess I've been very lucky this time. My niece has informed her partner that she is ending the tenancy and signing up for a new one in her name only and he is ok with it. She did point out that he will no longer be responsible for any more rent or bills when it's totally in her name.
              JPkeats,...
              27-10-2021, 02:02 AM
            • Reply to Increasing rent
              by jpkeates
              There may be something on the NRLA website, but I don't know of a standard template.

To be honest that clause doesn't seem to help you a lot, it stops you using a s13 notice (I'd wrongly assumed that because it said "may" you'd be able to) but doesn't actually help you with an...
              26-10-2021, 17:37 PM
            • Increasing rent
              by Berlingogirl
              Tenancy start date May 2020 in England. 6 month initial AST.
              My tenancy agreement says
              “The landlord may increase the rent after the first 52 weeks of the tenancy…..”
              Is there a specific form I should use?...
              26-10-2021, 13:33 PM
              by Berlingogirl
              Thanks jpkeates, I looked at the form 13 but that’s for if you don’t have anything in your tenancy agreement with regard to a rent increase. Is there a pro forma for a rent increase if there is a condition in your TA?
              26-10-2021, 17:05 PM
              by jpkeates
              If the tenancy is now an SPT, and you want to be ever so formal (and impose the increase without any agreement), search for form 13 (which is called something else on the government's tenancy forms page).

Otherwise, you just need to get the tenant to agree and start paying the new rent...
              26-10-2021, 13:58 PM
            • Reply to Advanced rent and S21 Notices
              by jpkeates
              It is quite likely that the 2 additional months might be seen as a deposit, unless the tenancy agreement is very specific about the initial payment being for months 1, 5 and 6.

If it is a deposit, you won't be able to use a s21 notice without returning it and the deposit will be unlawful...
              26-10-2021, 08:35 AM
            • Advanced rent and S21 Notices
              by Shorif908
              Hi All,

I have recently had new tenants move in.
              the estate agent did the whole thing and put them in.

The arrangement with rent payments was this. 6 months AST Tennants pay last 3 months rent in advance and then make 3 monthly payments in advance. Ie start of the month....
              26-10-2021, 08:06 AM
            • Reply to Advanced rent and S21 Notices
              by Lesney Park
              BUT to answer your question, yes the 3 months very much look like an unlawful deposit, being for a non-defined period (the last 3 months of a tenancy). If it is for a specific 3 months, its a bit lesss grey but then I'm wondering what you hope to achieve...
              26-10-2021, 08:35 AM
            Working...
            X