A-voiding voids!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A-voiding voids!

Just interested to hear about other LL's policies and experience on this, especially from those who say they've never had a void between tenancies in X years...

My standard 6-month AST runs from 1st of the month to the 11:00 on the last day of the final month (specific dates are stated), with the aim of turning the place round within the day when tenants change. I also insist on the months' notice to quit being given on a rent day, and separately insist on that rent day will be the first of the month (not sure if I'm on thin ice with either stipulation?).

What I'm particularly interested in knowing is, if you're showing a prospect a property which becomes empty in say 3 weeks, do you normally keep that as the date when the prospect would have to start paying rent if he wants the place, or if they can't/don't want to move in for, say 4-5 weeks do you acquiesce and just lose the rent for the intervening period?

I'm sure this depends on many factors such as 'quality' of the new tenants and state of the rental market, but I'm wondering what prospective tenants' expectations are under these circumstances?

If I had a place that would be void for 2 weeks then thats all part of the game. Recently I had a couple move out and knowing I would have it void for at least a month, because I would have to get in there and repaint it before I viewed it to prospective tenants, I rented it to a work collegue who would want in the day after the others moved out and then allow me to paint the place and make it nice. I dropped the rent £50 a month to do this. The way I looked at it, no voids, no ads, no viewings and someone I could trust. Everyone happy.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Death of landlady, where does rent go?
      by ash72
      The money for the sale can go to the Solitors in an escrow account, and held there until the will has been read. Is there a will, it will state who her estate should be given to (if your husband is the only child most likely to him). Has anyone been appointed to deal with her affairs? That person should...
      21-01-2021, 14:50 PM
    • Death of landlady, where does rent go?
      by Ani
      My Mother-in-law lived until recently in an ‘assisted-living’ flat, which she owned. Once she moved into a care home we are (with Power of Attorney) selling her flat on a rent-to-buy basis, with the rent being deducted from the selling price if completing within six months. But my Mother-in-law...
      21-01-2021, 14:35 PM
    • Reply to Neighbour Erecting Unsightly Signs
      by jghomer
      He has been in dispute with my tenants over various different matters over time. The trampoline, fencing, parking, you name it. We try to work through each complaint as received and assess. Lately he has become rather more unpredictable with his actions, and the fitting of those signs seemed a step...
      21-01-2021, 14:31 PM
    • Neighbour Erecting Unsightly Signs
      by jghomer
      Hi All

Grateful for opinions on an odd situation.

The neighbour of one of my tenants does not get on with my tenants at all. It's a shame because my tenants are lovely people.

He has decided to erect ridiculous 'Private Property' signs facing inwards towards my...
      21-01-2021, 12:49 PM
      by Berlingogirl
      I suspect there's a bit more going on here. The signs are facing the trampoline. Are the children bouncing on the trampoline and looking over/shouting over the fence where the neighbours are trying to enjoy a drink on their patio (there's sunbrella on their side)? Does the family have loud BBQs (there's...
      21-01-2021, 13:55 PM
      by Hudson01
      As said above...... no one would go to the trouble of doing this unless they have a dispute with your tenants, but as also said it is none of your concern, you do not live there, let the tenants deal with it in the same way they would if they owned the house and had the same issues.
      21-01-2021, 13:47 PM
    • Reply to Inventory Signing : one or all tenants?
      by Lawcruncher
      Best to get all to sign and then there can be no argument. The inventory should of course be part of the tenancy agreement.
      21-01-2021, 13:39 PM
    • Inventory Signing : one or all tenants?
      by lluke
      Hi there,

wondering if anyone is able to advise :

Is it ok to have one tenant sign the inventory on behalf of both tenants listed on the tenancy, or do you need all tenants to sign?

best...
      21-01-2021, 13:23 PM
      by Lesney Park
      Is the 2nd photo, the front garden? It looks like a very high fence for a boundary at the front. Speculation based on that and there being no other info, I'm going with the neighbour being a bit odd/ paranoid.

Have you had issues with neighbour an prior tenants?

But its not...
      21-01-2021, 13:24 PM
      by ash72
      Don't get involved between and T and neighbour, you don't live next door to your T so you don't know what is happening. Could just be a grumpy neighbour, no need to cause a dispute, after all the property is rented and your not selling it, so it's fine for the time being.
      21-01-2021, 13:14 PM
    Working...
    X