troublesome tenant is owner´s son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

troublesome tenant is owner´s son

Hi - I have complained several times to my agent about a troublesome tenant on disability benefits living in our shared 5 bedroomed HMO - he seems to have a mental illness, uses abusive language while talking to himself, hogs the bathroom for hours, cooks at night so we have smells floating into our rooms when we are trying to sleep and who is up most nights pacing around in his room (the loft) over our heads when we have to get up the next morning for work... The letting agent says although there is an assured shorthold tenancy agreement with this tenant there is little he can do as the owner will not authorise the agent to take action to remove him as the tenant is the owner´s son. What can I do?

Originally posted by premieji View Post
    Hi - I have complained several times to my agent about a troublesome tenant on disability benefits living in our shared 5 bedroomed HMO - he seems to have a mental illness, uses abusive language while talking to himself, hogs the bathroom for hours, cooks at night so we have smells floating into our rooms when we are trying to sleep and who is up most nights pacing around in his room (the loft) over our heads when we have to get up the next morning for work... The letting agent says although there is an assured shorthold tenancy agreement with this tenant there is little he can do as the owner will not authorise the agent to take action to remove him as the tenant is the owner´s son. What can I do?
    FWIW, a 5-bed HMO should have a bathroom AND a separate WC http://www.unipol.org.uk/News/HousingActNews.asp. If your property hasn't it raises the issue of wether the property is a licenced HMO or not. It should be, you might want to phone your local councils HMO officer to check if your place is licensed. Is there gas in the property? If so, do you have a landlords gas safety certificate?

Maybe these facts will give you a little bit of leverage against the landlord. If you don't know how to contact the landlord, request his contact details from the gent IN WRITING, they have to provide them within 21 days. http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content...&filesize=2206

Comment

Thanks, this HMO is licensed with gas, elec certs, EPC, Deposit Protection etc etc.

Comment

Not having much HMO experience, I can't offer much else - other than the fact that the HMO officer at the council might be able to offer advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X