Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any rights regarding mail?

I am at my wits end.

I've been living here for 2 years and over the last 7 or 8 months in particular my mail just 'goes missing'.

We live in a communal building of about 16 'flats'. Another resident had warned me about mail going missing and suffering credit card and ID fraud. He's even seen strangers in the communal area where the mail is delivered.

There are no separate or secure boxes for each flat, the mail just gets dropped through the main front door and someone will pick it up and put it on a table.

Anything that doesn't look like a regular boring letter doesn't arrive now - Play.com or other parcel orders, presents, even a doctor's letter and most troublesome - bank statements. I don't know what else.

My other half has had somebody try to use his bank details to purchase something last year and today somebody has ordered a new PIN for his card - to be delivered at OUR address... where they plan on taking it from, I imagine.

The landlord knows that mail has been going missing. He even installed a fake CCTV camera to point at the table. Which is not helpful in the slightest because it's clearly fake and can't prove anyone is taking mail that's not theirs.

A flat upstairs has even installed a private separate mailbox on the wall outside.

This other resident believes that at least one person who does not live in our building has been given a key to gain access (not by the landlord) and he says that the landlord refuses to install a more secure mail box or system but it 'costs money'.

Do I have a right to receive mail at my home address that is addressed to me without fear of somebody pinching it FROM my home? Is the landlord obliged to do something about this problem which is a problem for everyone in the building? I don't know how much purchasing my own mail box would cost.

On the subject of my landlord, he is pretty useless. He'll show up on whatever date without notice to collect the rent. And get moody if we don't have it on the day he shows up (I don't want large sums of cash in my flat sitting there for when he decides to show).

We ahve damp problems that he refuses to acknowledge... leaks... and I'm sure the kitchen is a health and safety disaster (it's tiny - a cupboard sits right above the hob. The fridge is smack bang next to the cooker, thus defrosting anything in the tiny freezer compartment).

There is a Sky satellite dish that despite our engineer setting up our connection, we just couldnt get signal from. Landlord assures us that it's working and the rest of the building use it - just found out last week, they don't. Only one flat could use it and now it's broken for them, too. The landlord refuses to check his wiring or get that or the tv aerial sorted. We've been watching catch up tv for 2 years.

Anyway, for now this is about the mail. But I'm prepared to pull out the big guns and these other complaints if neccessary. I just hate living here. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds to place a deposit anywhere else at the moment, otherwise I'd leave in a heartbeat.

Originally posted by emi View Post
    Do I have a right to receive mail at my home address that is addressed to me without fear of somebody pinching it FROM my home? Is the landlord obliged to do something about this problem which is a problem for everyone in the building? I don't know how much purchasing my own mail box would cost.
    Theft of mail is a criminal offence, so report your suspicions to the police. I don't think the landlord has any liability.

We ahve damp problems that he refuses to acknowledge... leaks... and I'm sure the kitchen is a health and safety disaster (it's tiny - a cupboard sits right above the hob. The fridge is smack bang next to the cooker, thus defrosting anything in the tiny freezer compartment).
    You can report your concerns to the environmental health officer at the local council, and ask them to inspect. They can force the landlord to comply with health and safety requirements.

There is a Sky satellite dish that despite our engineer setting up our connection, we just couldnt get signal from. Landlord assures us that it's working and the rest of the building use it - just found out last week, they don't. Only one flat could use it and now it's broken for them, too. The landlord refuses to check his wiring or get that or the tv aerial sorted. We've been watching catch up tv for 2 years.
    Landlord has no statutory obligation to provide a TV connection.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
      Landlord has no statutory obligation to provide a TV connection.
      But may have a contractual one, depending upon what was agreed between landlord and tenant. The important questions are probably does the tenancy agreement say something on the issue? What was said to you at the time you viewed the flat and made your decision to proceed with the letting?

Comment

You should be able to change the lock on the communal entrance door, if you suspect somone has a key they are not entitled to have.
        Provided to get 2 sets of keys for each tenant ( 28 keys ) and give same keys to Landlord, then that should be acceptable.

You need to write a letter to other tenants, similar to yours here, explaining that mail is going missing, and the lock Must be changed, and do it yourself for £ 5 yale type barrel, and up to £ 24 for 32 keys ( 16 flats ) and ask for £ 2 per flat to cover costs.

If the Landlord objects, tell him it was a serious security problem, and your credit cards are going missing, and as he refuses to to do anything, you have HAD to change the lock.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Part furnished
          by Chester Perry
          Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
          18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
        • Reply to Guarantor agreements
          by AndrewDod
          I suppose the real questions is not "what tricks do I need to try to get around these potential massive risks"
          but rather
          a) "how much extra premium should I charge on rents to offset these massive risks" - 10%, 50% ?
          and
          b) What criteria does a potential...
          18-09-2020, 13:33 PM
        • Guarantor agreements
          by CHARLIEMAN
          Hi all,

I am asking a prospective tenant to provide a guarantor and was wondering how the deed should be dated with regards to the term of the tenancy. The tenancy will be a 6 month assured shorthold agreement but I would want the guarantor to continue to act for the duration of the periodic...
          16-09-2020, 14:22 PM
        • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
          by flyingfreehold
          they tend to favour the tenant
          18-09-2020, 13:26 PM
        • Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
          by Maymiss
          I am moving out of my rented home shortly, i have caused some damage which I notified the landlord of when it happened and they have recently visited to discuss the cost of repairs, which we have agreed. The landlord is now asking that I pay this money to them directly. It is not possible for the work...
          03-08-2020, 11:47 AM
        • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
          by Maymiss
          I am sad to say that after paying a lump sum to my landlord, they are now claiming the full amount of my deposit also. My deposit is held with DPS and I understand they are generally fair in their dealings, but after reading reviews online it appears they do not always review disputes thoroughly and...
          18-09-2020, 13:21 PM
        • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
          by ChrisDennison
          Of course not because a s21 notice is a private notice so nobody will know how many are issued in the country each day, and this would only change if all s21 notices would need to be centrally lodged (I can’t see that happen and can’t see a good reason for it either).

18-09-2020, 13:07 PM
        • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
          by fmST1
          When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
          I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
          11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
        • Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
          by jpkeates
          The characteristics of the people you wish to home would be obvious red flags to most PRS landlords.
          I don't think you would be able to persuade me to risk the value of my property when the option to remove a problem tenant is, essentially, unavailable.

I have only thought about this...
          18-09-2020, 13:02 PM
        • Housing First - what are your thoughts?
          by LandlordLiaisonOfficer
          Hello,

I work for a homeless charity and I am hoping you don't mind me bending your ear and gaining some landlord insight on a model we are imminently implementing for some of our service users.

Traditional housing models within the homeless sector require the service user...
          18-09-2020, 12:32 PM
        Working...
        X