No heating for 3 months now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No heating for 3 months now!

Hi i was wondering if anyone can help me? I moved into a propety in December 09, it is in the country to help get my children away from the roads noise etc. For this we pay over £1100 a month rent. When we moved in the heating was tempremental, But it stopped working three months ago completely! We have carried on paying our rent as we live relatively close to our landlord and also love where we live so did not want to cause upset! We had to find portable heaters ourselves and every month when we pay rent we write a letter with a list as long as your arm with things that have gone wrong such as the plug sockets blowing when you switch something off, the spot lights falling out of the ceiling, Banisters falling off the wall etc the list goes on. The thing is we don't no whether to stop paying rent at the moment or just live with it as the summer is coming? and should we be intitled to some kind of compensation? I think we have been fair and although the landlord says oh yes i forgot i have been so busy should we have to pay? Any help would be much appreciated.

Get quotes to get the work done, and send them to the landlord stating that you will wait a month and then go ahead and get the work done, and deduct it from the rent.

This will hopefully spur him into action.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
      Get quotes to get the work done, and send them to the landlord stating that you will wait a month and then go ahead and get the work done, and deduct it from the rent.

This will hopefully spur him into action.
      Would also remind him of his legal obligation under section 11 of the 1985 LTA, he is breaking the law

Comment

Originally posted by houseworries View Post
        Hi i was wondering if anyone can help me? I moved into a propety in December 09, it is in the country to help get my children away from the roads noise etc. For this we pay over £1100 a month rent. When we moved in the heating was tempremental, But it stopped working three months ago completely! We have carried on paying our rent as we live relatively close to our landlord and also love where we live so did not want to cause upset! We had to find portable heaters ourselves and every month when we pay rent we write a letter with a list as long as your arm with things that have gone wrong such as the plug sockets blowing when you switch something off, the spot lights falling out of the ceiling, Banisters falling off the wall etc the list goes on. The thing is we don't no whether to stop paying rent at the moment or just live with it as the summer is coming? and should we be intitled to some kind of compensation? I think we have been fair and although the landlord says oh yes i forgot i have been so busy should we have to pay? Any help would be much appreciated.
        You have several courses of action open to you....

1) Call the local council and ask for the Environmental Health Officer to visit. I am sure that some of the items you list are a breach of the landlords repairing obligations under section 11 of the 1985 Landlord & Tenant Act - the EHO has powers to force the landlord to perform certain repairs.

2) View this page about repairs in private housing, basically you can do some repairs yourself and keep the cost from the rent: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad..._to_do_repairs

3) I would certainly think you had a claim for some reduction/refund of rent paid. I would suggest you talk to a solicitor about that because proving/justifying what is a valid amount might be difficult. Personally, as the last 3 months have been very cold, and the LL has done nothing to help ease the situation, I would be looking for at least a third of the rent back - and as a landlord, I'm probably biased in his favour!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X