Help for depost back and plus 3X penalty.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Help for depost back and plus 3X penalty.

    I need go to small claim court for my deposit back and plus 3X penalty.
    Anyone know i just need 1 claim form for my deposit and plus 3X penalty or i need separate it to 2 clam form?
    The course fees is automatic claim back if i win the case or i need to fill in the claim form before or after the case?
    Can i use online claim service for cliam deposit back and plus 3X penalty,because
    i know the exact sum of money.
    Which form i need to fill for my claims?

    Sorry this is my first time in my life go to small claim court.


    You can not get the 3x penalty in the small claims court - which, unfortunately, means that if you lose, you may be liable for your landlords legal fees etc, which could run into many hundreds of pounds. Speak to a solicitor before you consider such a risk to assess your chances of victory - to be honest, you are likely to need to appoint the solicitor as it is much more complex than 'small claims'.

    By way of background, it has recently been decided in the high court that protecting a deposit late does not attract the 3x penalty - just not protecting it at all. This means that providing the landlord protects it or returns it before your court date, he will not be ordered to pay 3x.

    HOWEVER... Claiming the deposit alone is simple in the small claims, although you would be advised to use their online service ( because it is cheaper.

    Have you written to the landlord to request that the deposit is returned/protected? You need to do that before starting a claim. This letter may be useful - but please read my note which go with it.

    If you do go to court, there are a number of books on Amazon about the Small Claims process, get one of those and you will understand the process more and appear much more professional in front of the judge.


      Originally posted by cholam View Post
      Can i use online claim service for cliam deposit back and plus 3X penalty
      No, you cannot use Money Claim Online. Deposit non-compliance claims must be issued on Form N208 and, as Snorkerz says, it won't be allocated to the small claims track, so it's highly inadvisable to issue such a claim without legal advice. You risk losing a lot of money on court fees (the hearing would cost £1,000) as well as potentially having to pay your landlord's legal costs if you lost.

      If you just want your deposit back, then you can use the online method, and it will be allocated to the small claims track, which has much lower court fees, and there is almost no risk of being liable for costs.


      Latest Activity


      • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
        by Perce

        Yes you can start your application now. The sooner the better, I think, as it takes time. My solicitors applied in the middle of Jan but I have not heard anything yet neither from the County Court nor The High Court (I applied to both).

        As far as I know the tenants...
        24-01-2021, 19:06 PM
      • MCOL & PCOL
        by OS7
        Hello Everyone,

        Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
        04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
      • Reply to Tenant county court claim
        by alice123
        I would get the advice of a good solicitor , he will charge but he will be able to help
        I personally think you did all you could to prevent this and the fact that you have -

        'we offered a professional mould clean, a dehumidifier and a to visit the flat to inspect the mould ourselves....
        24-01-2021, 18:51 PM
      • Tenant county court claim
        by Jennyturn

        I would really appreciate some advice before I contact a solicitor.

        In October my tenant reported that their was water coming in through a extractor fan via our agent. Who sent a contractor who recommended a damp report.

        I agree to this and it stated damp...
        24-01-2021, 13:14 PM
      • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
        by OS7
        Thanks Perce.
        I hope to speak to council tomorrow to let them know my intentions to evict.
        I also wanted to ask about your HCEO proceedings. Have you heard anyyhing back.
        Could I also ask as I am going via county court enforcement, could I start the application now for county court...
        24-01-2021, 18:02 PM
      • Reply to What happens when furlough ends?
        by Neelix
        a bit like lots of UK benefits...
        24-01-2021, 17:39 PM
      • What happens when furlough ends?
        by JK0
        A worrying thought has occurred to me tonight. If furlough ends on 30th April, as I believe it's meant to, are we going to find loads more tenants unable to pay their rent?

        I know one of mine is a taxi driver, and I'm amazed he's managed to come up with the rent so far.

        23-01-2021, 19:40 PM
      • Reply to Renting to a housing professional
        by Hudson01
        Covid or not, no one will walk over any of my rental thresholds without me first meeting them, never have and never will, I put this alone down to why after many years in the BTL arena i have had zero arrears and zero notable issues.

        Its sounds odd behavior, that alone would be a no.
        24-01-2021, 17:24 PM
      • Renting to a housing professional
        by Celibin
        I have advertised a good size flat in a small town via an established Letting agent. A chap who lives some 60 miles away and will be working from home has got a colleague locally to visit the place and an offer has been made on it. (e will not be seeing the flat himself (as far as I am aware) and prefers...
        22-01-2021, 15:49 PM
      • Reply to What happens when furlough ends?
        by Hudson01
        I can see that point of view, my concern is the length of it and how people can easily become comfortable in getting paid very well for doing nothing at all, then getting back to work. My job has meant i have worked throughout the pandemic and in fact have been even more busy than normal, i have talked...
        24-01-2021, 17:09 PM