letting agent issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

letting agent issue

Hi I used a letting agent for let only. Afterwards he said he could get me some quotes for a painter as I needed a mouldy bathroom and bedroom decorating before the tenant moved in. He got a quote and I went with his quote. It was agreed verbally that decorator must use a sealant base coat because of the mould as it would come back through emulsion. Was agreed decorator would supply materials.

Once the work was done, I got an invoice from the agent not the decorator. LA called and said the invoice was from his company as the decorator wanted paying cash (I assumed he had therefore already paid the decorator which all sounded a bit strange).

I went to check the work and there is a big black stain on the ceiling from the mould. Decorator went round again and repainted it but when I later checked you couldn't even tell he had been, it's exactly the same. Anyway it transpires he just used emulsion, even I know that is not going to be sufficient and I'm no decorator.

I have said I'll pay decorator but I'm knocking £100 off as I'll either have to get another contractor to finish it or I'll have to buy materials and do the work myself. Letting agent has now sent text threatening me with small claims court.

I will not pay in full because he has done a shocking job and a decorator should have the knowledge that you can't just paint over mould. I also don't owe the letting agent anything, I didn't employ HIM to do the work. He is not taking my calls to discuss it I think he wants me to write and make some acknowledgement that I owe him money so he can sue me.

It has made the situation difficult for me and the decorator as now I will not pay the decorator anything without an invoice and receipt but there is clearly a reason why they tried to put it through the letting agents company. Maybe the decorator is dodging tax or on benefits. I am not going to be vindictive if that is the case, but I am definitely not paying anything without covering my back.

Any opinions on how I should handle this? So far haven't written or contacted either of them.
    I'm trying to raise awareness of Myotonic Dystrophy, Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) and In vitro fertilisation (IVF). Follow my PGD blog and please pass it on to any one you know who has an interest in PGD or IVF.

Letting agent problem

I would personally be looking at a different letting agent if he has that little interest.

They take fees to manage this kind of thing for you, surely?

IE

Comment

I used him for a let only service. I was intending to use him again but I certainly won't now.
      I'm trying to raise awareness of Myotonic Dystrophy, Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) and In vitro fertilisation (IVF). Follow my PGD blog and please pass it on to any one you know who has an interest in PGD or IVF.

Comment

You have no contract with the agent. Write to him and say that you do not owe him any money regarding decorating. Short & Sweet.

Pay the decorator directly an agreed amount. If this ends up in court, your receipt for that and the agents lack of contract should see you right.

Comment

Snorkerz,

What you advised is exactly what I had in mind. The letting agent is saying he has an email instructing work to start. He is making this up. I have been through my sent items and have no idea what email he is referring to and I distinctly remember the phone conversation where I said I would accept the quote he had got for me. It wasn't the letting agent giving me a quote it was a quote he had found for me.

Either he is saying he has an email to spook me and get me to just pay it. Or he is planning on doing something fraudulent. Do emails count in cour? they are easy to edit and fake. I am sure I could do it.

I am not going to let him bully me though. No one in the right mind would pay a decorator in full for the state he left it in. I do appreciate he has done a lot of work though and any costs I will bear to bring it to standard won't amount to the full bill. That is why I am only knocking £100 off. I think I'm being completley reasonable.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X