Cutting off a bad tenant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting off a bad tenant.

If you have a bad tenant that is not paying the rent etc... whilst waiting for court, would I still be expected to pay the water/gas, electricity etc?

Bearing in mind they are a tenant in a house share - but they are the only ones left. Could this in heory happen?

Whom do the statutory undertakers regard as their customer on bills- you or T?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

By the 'statutory undertakers' you mean like british gas etc? its me, i'm the name on the bills.

Comment

Originally posted by Ollie View Post
        By the 'statutory undertakers' you mean like british gas etc? its me, i'm the name on the bills.
        Yes. You are billed, so whether there are tenants or not makes no difference- you must pay.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Oh yes i know that part, I pay by key however so if I stop paying - no one can use the service - it just cuts off.

Comment

I think you have a duty under the law to ensure that gas, electricity and water are all supplied - unless the property has no gas, in which case 'gas' can be omitted from the list.

Sadly, that obligation subsists even if the tenant does not pay.

You could be sued by the tenant under several pieces of legislation if you did not fulfil that obligation, and at least in theory you could even arrested.

Furthermore, if you allow the services to be disconnected, you will probably have to pay reconnection charges and face delays.

Not to mention the fact that that would adversely affect YOUR credit record.

Comment

Who recalls this very point in the leading legal case of 'Pacific Heights'? Although not under the jurisdiction of E&W, the law therein is the same.
              See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Heights_(film)

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                Who recalls this very point in the leading legal case of 'Pacific Heights'? Although not under the jurisdiction of E&W, the law therein is the same.
                See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Heights_(film)
                Oh no, I wouldn't watch a movie like that.

I get enough of that aggro in real life!

Comment

Jesus, well this situation isn't quite as bad as that film!

However, the water and the Gas are on a credit term (I won't turn them off), however the electricity is on a key metre (pay as you go), meaning if i don't pay, there isn't any electricity. Surly I could just not pay once the house is empty? (I plan to put the house on the market in June).

So it wouldn't afect my credit rating as its not on credit! It will just leave them in the dark

Comment

So it wouldn't afect my credit rating as its not on credit! It will just leave them in the dark
                    Are you for real?

Comment

Yes, surly its not agaisn't the law? All the contract states is about their room. I could proberly lock the door to the kitchen too! It sounds OTT but if they are costing me 1000's of pounds in rent etc then I want to make it the worse place to live (if its legal).

Another idea was to press a huge speaker to their room locked up in another room, playing somthing really annoying on repeat ...

Comment

Yes, surly its not agaisn't the law? All the contract states is about their room. I could proberly lock the door to the kitchen too! It sounds OTT but if they are costing me 1000's of pounds in rent etc then I want to make it the worse place to live (if its legal).

Another idea was to press a huge speaker to their room locked up in another room, playing somthing really annoying on repeat ...
                        That will put you straight behind bars.

Comment

Why? Whats illegal about it? Its my house, they are simply renting a room!

Comment

Why? Whats illegal about it?
                            Just about everything.

I suggest you read the following:

Protection from Harassment Act 1997
                            Protection from Eviction Act 1977
                            Housing Act 2004

It seems you also need to learn what 'credit rating' means.

Comment

credit rating is a score based on past credit history. nothing to do with pay as you go items... if you don't pay - you don't go. lol

And yes thats alot to read! If i was pushed I would do it however. The law can only go so far!, theres no such thing as a free pie!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X