Advice on potential tenants...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lombrozo View Post
    (we magnolia'd the place already, so go figure...)
    Next time you decorate, I recommend Dulux Chalky Downs as a good off-white, and much less dispiriting than Magnolia. Dulux Almond White also good.

Comment

Ok, here's what we've decided. We're going to add some clauses to the contract: a) the fance should be completed within 6 months, b) at the end of the tenancy it will need to be of a good standard and sturdy etc or they will have to pay to make it so, and c) that any interior decorations and changes to the garden will need to be restored to their original state at the end of the tenancy.

We're getting a month and a half deposit upfront in the DPS, but I'm not sure, if they DON'T adhere to the aforementioned clauses, whether we'll be able to use this to rectify their changes?

Any other advice? I'm going to take lots of photos and have a professional inventory taken and check-in/out... I'm pretty nervous about it all though...

Comment

The amount of tenants I have spoke to who are decorators is amazing.
        Have a look at their current house for a reference of their work.

Generally any agreements made by tenants disappear as soon as they have the keys to the property.
        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

a) If they didn't, eviction would be your only recourse - but is hassle, expense and (if the fixed term is longer than 6 months) unlikely to be effective until the end of the fixed term.

b) is subjective
          How about you get a quote for a fence of the type you want and either:
          Pay tradesman £X to build it or
          Pay tenant £X to build it - once it is built to your satisfaction
          Then tenant pays full rent (but in reality would subsidise it themselves from the fence payment)

c) may be unenforceable because the tenant can not be expected to 'improve' the property. If the tenant leaves in 12 months time, then they are responsible for returning the decor to the condition it would be in with 12 months fair wear and tear. If it went to a deposit claim, then purple walls after 12 months would probably cost the tenant around 80% of redecoration costs (total ball-park figure).

Comment

Originally posted by lombrozo View Post
            I spoke to the agent about this but he said they wouldn't budge, though we are trying £775.
            Just tell the Agent "No thanks" and that you wont budge either from a minimum £800 "for these particular tenants". If it fails, leave it a week and see if they do move upwards. You can always concede later on if you are that keen on them.
            I would also indicate to the agent that you are looking to move your business to another agent as they have had it long enoiugh without finding a suitable tenant. Put a fire under them.

Personally I would also ask that they agree NOT to re-decorate inside! The other stuff can be done under your guidance as and when such as garden.

Chas

Comment

do not let them decorate.

iT wilLL Be a RightT Mess and they will nOT restore it to how you had it. you will regret it.
              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Best advice remains as in my post #5.
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                  Best advice remains as in my post #5.
                  So just ignore everything else anyone has suggested, lombrozo
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                    So just ignore everything else anyone has suggested, lombrozo.
                    Thanks! It's good that we occasionally agree on something.
                    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Just wanted to say that there are some tennants who are good at re-decorating, and do what they said they were going to do!!!

Last year with our LL permission we re-decorated our bungalow, and did a better job than the professonals who painted it after it had been built. We have also replaced a broken fence post, built a concrete base, added a shed, and put down decking, all of which we will leave behind when we eventually move.

I would suggest that if any LL is thinking about giving permission to re-decorate you should'nt do so unless you can see examples of the work that the tennants have done before.

In fact I think that all LLs should visit their tennant's current home as part of the decision to let to them, if the tennants are looking after the property they are currently in then they should look after your property too.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X