Tenant's friend moving in

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tenant's friend moving in

    As a complete novice landlord I wondered if anyone with more experience of letting could point me in the right direction with regard to the issue of a tenant's boyfriend/girlfriend moving in?

    I am happy with the tenant who pays on time and is in month 4 of a 6 month AST. She is in a profession, houseproud, and is looking after the property. So I am lucky!

    She has asked if the boyfriend who has on occasion stayed in the property can move in with her. I have no objection but am wondering about the best way to deal with the issue.

    He has no job in the area yet, and I am not sure I would want to add him to the tenancy, in case they split up, she moves on but he doesnt want to.

    Can I simply give her permission as the tenant to allow him to reside at the property as a guest whilst she remains a tenant? Are there any adverse implications of such an approach? I wouldnt want him to acquire any rights. Is it best to put such permission in writing, and is there an accepted form of wording?

    Thanks in anticipation of any help


    There's already plenty on this subject posted so use the search facility.

    Briefly you can allow the boyfriend to occupy (a permitted occupier - put it in writing) until the end of the current fixed term and then draw up a new AST when it expires. You should fully reference him beforehand too (like now!) and if he doesn't have a job then get a guarantor. Do not take any rent off him, only from his girlfriend whilst he is a permitted occupier.
    The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


      Thanks Paul_f.

      I have tried to search the site to no avail. I have tried "friend" but perhaps need to be more imaginative.

      Is there a potential problem with the boyfriend being a permitted occupier beyond the end of the current 6mth AST?

      The way I see it is that she is a good payer, and he is a risk. So why do I want to add him as a tenant?

      When she eventually gives notice, will his permission to occupy not simply expire at the end of her tenancy? So why do I want to add him to the tenancy if he has no rights anyway when she goes?

      I guess I must be missing something here. Will try and search under "partner" to see if I can find the answer, but if anyone reads this and can help, I would much appreciate it.


        There is no problem allowing him to occupy indefinitely during your tenant's occupation without his being included in any tenancy agreement. He will effectively be your tenant's lodger and he will have no rights. You could write, "I am happy for ... to stay with you as your guest until further notice. He will not be included in any tenancy agreement and your own responsibilities under the existing tenancy agreement will remain unchanged".
        Disclaimer: What I say is either right or wrong. It may be advisable to check what I say with a solicitor. If he says I am right then I am right, unless he is wrong in which case I am wrong; but if he says I am wrong then I am wrong, unless he is wrong in which case I am right


          Thanks lawstudent.
          That is really what I wanted to hear.

          I couldnt see any point in referencing him when he is coming over here to look for a job and would need a guarantor if he was to be a co-tenant anyway. As she is a professional, likes the property, wants to stay longer, and is taking care to play things by the book I am not worried about adding him to the tenancy. I would rather not give him any rights at all.

          If he is incapacitated and claiming any benefit, and she charges him rent as a lodger, even though no permission for this has been given under the tenancy, does this alter things in any way? I dont think this is happening by the way, I am just trying to cover all bases. I believe he is looking for work, so any benefit would be short-lived until he finds such.



            Cant see how she could sub-let to him, but if he is chucking her a few quid towards the rent, thats between them. The only problem here is if you try and get rent insurance, if her income isnt deemed to cover the rental amount. Seeing as she is in anyway, dont really matter.


              Thanks dazalock,

              I didnt actually bother with rent insurance for her in view of my judgement call on her career and manner etc. I doubt he would get it on any new agreement due to him not working, so I cant see the point in trying to straightjacket him into a new joint tenancy when the current one expires.

              So on balance, I think I am going to do a letter along the lines of lawstudent's suggested wording, allowing him to stay on an informal basis as her guest until further notice, which I think at best will give him legally a license to reside there. Unless anyone out there thinks this is folly!

              I have just noticed that the AST agreement does not allow her to assign, or sub-let, part with possession, or let any other person live at the property, so I am no longer concerned about any informal arrangements they make of which I am unaware.

              Thanks to all the contributors to this thread, I have appreciated the support. This is a top site which I would recommend to anyone.


              Latest Activity


              • Letting Agent - Finders fee - New Tenants
                by BeccyP
                New here so please forgive if I'm doing something wrong..

                We employed a Letting Agent to find us new tenants for a one off 'Finders Fee'...We shall then manage property ourselves.
                Letting Agent has found us new tenants - I'm due to meet and greet next week and hand over...
                09-08-2020, 00:33 AM
              • Reply to Does employment tribunal case affect credit/reference check
                by ash72
                It will not affect your credit file, but will affect your reference checks when your employer is asked to confirm your employment details, and salary this will then affect you, even if your employer does not provide the correct information your wage slip would either confirm or support your income.
                08-08-2020, 19:17 PM
              • Does employment tribunal case affect credit/reference check
                by Self sufficient
                Hi folks

                Perhaps nobody has ever asked that question because majority here perceptibly seems investors/businessmen. The question is that if someone who is relying currently to live in private rented properties whilst having a plan to buy his own home in future but currently fighting in...
                08-08-2020, 15:14 PM
              • Reply to Ccj
                by ChrisDennison
                Funny enough only the defendant receives a copy of the default judgment, the claimant normally doesn't. You can request it from the court though, if it's a claim issued via the CCBC or CCMCC just call them and they will email it to you. If it's a local county court hearing centre call them too and they'll...
                08-08-2020, 18:28 PM
              • Ccj
                by Perce

                Does anybody know how long it takes to get judgement once you submit a request for judgement ?
                23-07-2020, 21:01 PM
              • Reply to Who Gives a Fig About The Council
                by ChrisDennison
                Maybe therein lies the problem, because different races certainly don't necessarily mean different people....
                08-08-2020, 18:22 PM
              • Who Gives a Fig About The Council
                by landlord-man
                Something which keeps cropping up which I don't for the life of me understand.

                Put into words by this recent quote on the Forum

                It grieves me to hear again and again and again where tenants with huge arrears are evicted solely with s21, local council not informed of arrears...
                05-08-2020, 14:55 PM
              • Reply to First time landlord making mistakes
                by ChrisDennison
                Well, central heating systems (district or local) don't normally mean tenants have no control over their heating. They will normally still have TRVs on their radiators and a heat meter which tracks usage....
                08-08-2020, 18:18 PM
              • First time landlord making mistakes
                by Bhups

                I'm a first time landlord who has make a few BIG mistakes and would like advise on what I can do to help me out.

                I've got a double story extension on the side of the property where the garage would normally be (semi-detached home).
                I've converted the side with...
                07-08-2020, 11:06 AM
              • Reply to Ccj
                by Perce
                The eviction company sent me just the Notice of Judgement Entered but should not they also send me the Judgement for Claimant and Defendant stating how much the tenant owes me ? I understand HCEO will need this piece of paper....
                08-08-2020, 18:15 PM