X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• property mongrel
    replied
    Originally posted by fletchj View Post
    A further thought - This suggests (and note I said suggests and equally does not suggest and not proves) that he might be being less than honest with the tax authorities as using cash does not leave the paper trail that cheques or standing orders do.

Whilst I am not suggesting any form of blackmail you may wish to say something along the lines of "it is in everyones interest to keep calm and reach an amicable solution because its in nobodies interest to go to court and make everything a matter of public record where anyone including HMRC can see" what is that if not blackmail?Overall as you have receipts - don't ask him or his lawyers what you owe work it out yourself and tell them what the answer is. If you want to avoid further arguments including a photocopy of the receipts would make it pretty difficult to argue against.
    i would not use that wording or anything remotely like it. if you have any thought that LL may be missing out on his tax obligations then tell the HMRC, don't threaten to "unless LL plays your game. if you involve HMRC they may also be able to tell you for any court appearance how much you owe LL. you may find out you apparently owe months and months and months!

now that would throw cat among pigeons (to borrow cat from another thread).

pm

Leave a comment:

• fletchj
    replied
    Originally posted by Free Lady View Post
    Just an update.

The problem also is that LL never accepted anything other than cash. He wouldn't even allow me to set up standing order Whenever I offered to pay by cheque he wanted to charge me £10. Anyway I have the receipt.
    A further thought - This suggests (and note I said suggests and not proves) that he might be being less than honest with the tax authorities as using cash does not leave the paper trail that cheques or standing orders do.

Whilst I am not suggesting any form of blackmail you may wish to say something along the lines of "it is in everyones interest to keep calm and reach an amicable solution because its in nobodies interest to go to court and make everything a matter of public record where anyone including HMRC can see"

Overall as you have receipts - don't ask him or his lawyers what you owe work it out yourself and tell them what the answer is. If you want to avoid further arguments including a photocopy of the receipts would make it pretty difficult to argue against.

Leave a comment:

• property mongrel
    replied
    on the face of what is presented you have had a terrible time and i hope this improves.

regarding the insistence from the LL for cash every month and the suggestion from him that there would be a surcharge of £10 for a cheque, i can not see how this is legal unless specifically written into the letting agreement? you have stated that his paperwork is disorganised as shown by his inability to claim the correct amount owing, if he kept accurate records he would be able to prove what he is owed. i wonder if he keeps any records of your rental account? have you got receipts for all your rental payments? have you considered writing to the Inland Revenue about LL and his cash income?

whatever he tries to do to you and whatever you might like to do to him, they are far more efficient at it, and they enjoy it.

atb

pm

Leave a comment:

• Free Lady
    replied
    OK thanks for that. I will pay him rent and as much off the arrears as I can. I can make an extra £200 this month off the arrears.

If I have those time scales in the next few months, it gives me enough time to arrange an alternative place to live.

The house is not a good place to stay anyway for my child. It is damp in many areas. It is not good on her health.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    The rent arrears are less than two months. I have been paying him rent in the meantime.

So I assume that what you say is that a S8 will not accelorate my departure providing I keep paying him.

Please note that my AST has expired. He wanted me to sign another but thanks to his wife being now stubborn saying I owe another months rent, I doulbt that will happen.
    If they really want you out they will serve section 21 (no fault) notice requiring possession; the notice will give you two months minimum to vacate; if you do not do so, it will take about six weeks after the notice expires to obtain a court order.

Leave a comment:

• Free Lady
    replied
    The rent arrears are less than two months. I have been paying him rent in the meantime.

So I assume that what you say is that a S8 will not accelorate my departure providing I keep paying him.

Please note that my AST has expired. He wanted me to sign another but thanks to his wife being now stubborn saying I owe another months rent, I doulbt that will happen.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied

How soon can they get me out on a S8 for the cats.

Any advice will be appreciated.

They are highly unlikely to be able get you out on a section 8 simply because of the cats. A mandatory order for possession under a section 8 notice would only be made for unpaid rent amounting to two months' worth.

Leave a comment:

• Free Lady
    replied
    Just an update.

I have again fallen out with LL wife over dispute regarding the amount of arrears. Also the fact that the LL agreed to reduce the amount owing because of the trouble he caused as a result of lying to the police and causing such distress. He will negotiate but his wife is not listening to reason.

She said she will go with S8 which I had been previously told had been squashed out of a gesture of goodwill.

LL came by the house last week. He brought along his wife (who he never has previously brought along) She was quite rude and dismissive. Checked around the house, which is well kept.

LL wanted to discuss the payment of the arrears. I said to him that his solicitors have given me three different figures from £600 to £1500. Three different figures in total. LL said that it was £1500.

He went away and came back today now he says it is £1178. I did my sums and at this point it is £778 in arrears. His wife said that I did not pay for January. I have the receipt to prove that I did pay that month. His accounts are not accurate. He is very disorganised.

The problem also is that LL never accepted anything other than cash. He wouldn't even allow me to set up standing order Whenever I offered to pay by cheque he wanted to charge me £10. Anyway I have the receipt.

How soon can they get me out on a S8 for the cats.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    Originally posted by emi View Post
    I've since also bought a little caged pet (a hedgehog).

Seeing as my understanding was that little pets inside things (cages/tanks) were ok, and was told specifically no cats or dogs, I'm not breaching anything am I?
    Depending on how you're looking after these 'little caged pets', possibly the Animal Welfare Act 2006.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2006...0060045_en.pdf

Leave a comment:

• matthew_henson
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    'Apparently'? Too vague; please expand!
    Sadly I can't, just a fish wives tale based on rumour and conjecture, it is however part of the OFT's musings on tenancy agreements and the UTCCR act. but then you knew that!

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by matthew_henson View Post
    Apparently this issue went to the European Court who ruled in your favour
    'Apparently'? Too vague; please expand!

Leave a comment:

• emi
    replied
    Originally posted by matthew_henson View Post
    Oh, nice! That helps me with moving out then

Leave a comment:

• matthew_henson
    replied
    Originally posted by emi View Post
    Sorry to jump in on someone else's question/issue...

My agreement said no pets, but the agency that I got my place through said that meant things like cats and dogs, so the lizard I had at the time (and still have) would be fine. I've since also bought a little caged pet (a hedgehog).

Seeing as my understanding was that little pets inside things (cages/tanks) were ok, and was told specifically no cats or dogs, I'm not breaching anything am I?

Leave a comment:

• emi
    replied
    Sorry to jump in on someone else's question/issue...

My agreement said no pets, but the agency that I got my place through said that meant things like cats and dogs, so the lizard I had at the time (and still have) would be fine. I've since also bought a little caged pet (a hedgehog).

Leave a comment:

• Free Lady
    replied
    I don't want to argue either. I have had enough to deal with.

Regarding trust.....It is a two way street.

He really messed me about, I didn't deserve that. Making an accusation to the police that was not true was really below the belt.

At least we can come to an understanding.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Flat rental bathroom query
    by Landyman
    Are you saying that the toilet and basin are out in the open, adjacent to the kitchen? Or are they in a separate room?

Does the room have a window? Or a fan ventilator?

It's had to visualise exactly what you mean. Could you sketch a simple floorplan and upload that here p...
    16-01-2022, 23:47 PM
  • Flat rental bathroom query
    by NewGuyOne
    Hello,

A rented flat with a toilet (of course) and basin next to the kitchen, and a bedroom with a quite small en suite - shower/basin/rail for towel ... Is this acceptable in a flat - with no additional separate bathroom?

Flat consists of 1 bedroom en suite, hallway, lounge,...
    16-01-2022, 20:13 PM
  • Reply to Problems with tenant getting work done and not paying me rent
    by axil23
    Thank you Lawcruncher.

Just so I am not reading the lease wrong. Executed as a deed means that it has to say that and be witnessed by a 3rd party right?...
    16-01-2022, 23:23 PM
  • Problems with tenant getting work done and not paying me rent
    by axil23
    I have rented my house to a {name removed} who use it to house Asylum seekers from a govt contract. In June the flat roof developed a leak and they asked me to fix it which I did the next day. 6 months later I get a bill for £1900 for scaffolding, asbestos survey, party wall agreement & for some...
    13-01-2022, 12:05 PM
  • surrender of lease charges
    by jshire
    Hi,
    I'm trying to assist a family member who is in the process of surrendering a lease on a shared flat (all tenants moving out). The landlord agreed as the reasons were reasonable. He's sent an email stating that there will be costs that the tenants have to meet, charged by the letting agent...
    16-01-2022, 20:49 PM
  • Reply to Gas certificate fail
    by MdeB
    But if you had a valid certificate when the tenancy started but failed to give it to the tenant, then I believe that providing them with a current certificate before serving S21 will be OK....
    16-01-2022, 20:30 PM
  • Gas certificate fail
    by ReginaPhalangi
    We've been renting out our property since 2017 and now have given notice to our tenants to leave. However we have just realised that we have failed to get a gas certificate during their tenancy. Is it possible to get the gas certificate now? Would we need to give notice again after we issue the gas...
    15-01-2022, 20:05 PM
  • Reply to No Tenancy agreement
    by MdeB
    There are a number (of the order of 20) of grounds under which possession can be sought. See the Housing Act 1988.

The claim is for the period for which they were paying rent whilst there was no required licence in place, up to a maximum of 12 months. Getting a licence ends...
    16-01-2022, 19:32 PM
  • Reply to No Tenancy agreement
    by MdeB
    That depends on when the tenancy started.

Or, possibly, the one in place when it is given to the tenant. The regulations are ambiguous...
    16-01-2022, 19:18 PM
  • Reply to Wales: New Legislation – your roles and responsibilities
    by steaming
    4. Antisocial behaviour…..a fair and consistent approach to everyone. No. 4 is then not mentioned in the extended information (click link). Surely this needs explaining in detail or, maybe, they haven’t actually thought further that the nine words used. No surprise.
    16-01-2022, 19:17 PM
Working...
X