Please help? Unlucky!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just an update.

I have again fallen out with LL wife over dispute regarding the amount of arrears. Also the fact that the LL agreed to reduce the amount owing because of the trouble he caused as a result of lying to the police and causing such distress. He will negotiate but his wife is not listening to reason.

She said she will go with S8 which I had been previously told had been squashed out of a gesture of goodwill.

LL came by the house last week. He brought along his wife (who he never has previously brought along) She was quite rude and dismissive. Checked around the house, which is well kept.

LL wanted to discuss the payment of the arrears. I said to him that his solicitors have given me three different figures from £600 to £1500. Three different figures in total. LL said that it was £1500.

He went away and came back today now he says it is £1178. I did my sums and at this point it is £778 in arrears. His wife said that I did not pay for January. I have the receipt to prove that I did pay that month. His accounts are not accurate. He is very disorganised.

The problem also is that LL never accepted anything other than cash. He wouldn't even allow me to set up standing order Whenever I offered to pay by cheque he wanted to charge me £10. Anyway I have the receipt.

How soon can they get me out on a S8 for the cats.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Free Lady View Post

How soon can they get me out on a S8 for the cats.

Any advice will be appreciated.

They are highly unlikely to be able get you out on a section 8 simply because of the cats. A mandatory order for possession under a section 8 notice would only be made for unpaid rent amounting to two months' worth.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

The rent arrears are less than two months. I have been paying him rent in the meantime.

So I assume that what you say is that a S8 will not accelorate my departure providing I keep paying him.

Please note that my AST has expired. He wanted me to sign another but thanks to his wife being now stubborn saying I owe another months rent, I doulbt that will happen.

Comment

The rent arrears are less than two months. I have been paying him rent in the meantime.

So I assume that what you say is that a S8 will not accelorate my departure providing I keep paying him.

Please note that my AST has expired. He wanted me to sign another but thanks to his wife being now stubborn saying I owe another months rent, I doulbt that will happen.
          If they really want you out they will serve section 21 (no fault) notice requiring possession; the notice will give you two months minimum to vacate; if you do not do so, it will take about six weeks after the notice expires to obtain a court order.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

OK thanks for that. I will pay him rent and as much off the arrears as I can. I can make an extra £200 this month off the arrears.

If I have those time scales in the next few months, it gives me enough time to arrange an alternative place to live.

The house is not a good place to stay anyway for my child. It is damp in many areas. It is not good on her health.

Comment

on the face of what is presented you have had a terrible time and i hope this improves.

regarding the insistence from the LL for cash every month and the suggestion from him that there would be a surcharge of £10 for a cheque, i can not see how this is legal unless specifically written into the letting agreement? you have stated that his paperwork is disorganised as shown by his inability to claim the correct amount owing, if he kept accurate records he would be able to prove what he is owed. i wonder if he keeps any records of your rental account? have you got receipts for all your rental payments? have you considered writing to the Inland Revenue about LL and his cash income?

whatever he tries to do to you and whatever you might like to do to him, they are far more efficient at it, and they enjoy it.

atb

pm
              Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

Comment

Just an update.

The problem also is that LL never accepted anything other than cash. He wouldn't even allow me to set up standing order Whenever I offered to pay by cheque he wanted to charge me £10. Anyway I have the receipt.
                A further thought - This suggests (and note I said suggests and not proves) that he might be being less than honest with the tax authorities as using cash does not leave the paper trail that cheques or standing orders do.

Whilst I am not suggesting any form of blackmail you may wish to say something along the lines of "it is in everyones interest to keep calm and reach an amicable solution because its in nobodies interest to go to court and make everything a matter of public record where anyone including HMRC can see"

Overall as you have receipts - don't ask him or his lawyers what you owe work it out yourself and tell them what the answer is. If you want to avoid further arguments including a photocopy of the receipts would make it pretty difficult to argue against.

Comment

Originally posted by fletchj View Post
                  A further thought - This suggests (and note I said suggests and equally does not suggest and not proves) that he might be being less than honest with the tax authorities as using cash does not leave the paper trail that cheques or standing orders do.

Whilst I am not suggesting any form of blackmail you may wish to say something along the lines of "it is in everyones interest to keep calm and reach an amicable solution because its in nobodies interest to go to court and make everything a matter of public record where anyone including HMRC can see" what is that if not blackmail?Overall as you have receipts - don't ask him or his lawyers what you owe work it out yourself and tell them what the answer is. If you want to avoid further arguments including a photocopy of the receipts would make it pretty difficult to argue against.
                  i would not use that wording or anything remotely like it. if you have any thought that LL may be missing out on his tax obligations then tell the HMRC, don't threaten to "unless LL plays your game. if you involve HMRC they may also be able to tell you for any court appearance how much you owe LL. you may find out you apparently owe months and months and months!

now that would throw cat among pigeons (to borrow cat from another thread).

pm
                  Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X