Who pays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who pays?

The title is misleading but im a bit miffed as to what to do here.
    We have a tenant on benefits who called in regarding a broken Sani-Flo toilet. We had a contractor go out on our request and found the fault to be an entire packet of wipes lodged in the grinder. The Landlord is rightfully refusing to pay and the tenant has no means to do so. Meanwhile the contractor wants his money. We are holding a council bond and can only use this at the end of the agreement. What can I do? The contractor is also rightly saying we instructed him.
    Do we pay ourselves and recoup from the deposit eventually, get the landlord to pay and again recoup for them from the deposit or tell the contractor to chase the tenant.
    From my point of view I think we should pay and wait to take from the deposit but the bill is nearly £200.00.
    Just a few opinions would be helpful.
    Thanks.

Are you the landlord or tenant? You refer to both as third parties so I'm not sure.

The landlord is responsible for the repair - so he must pay the plumber. The AST probably gives the landlord the right to charge the tenant for damages caused by the tenant. He must do that, if T doesn't pay then T will be in debt to the landlord. Landlord could try for eviction via ground 8 (section 12) or section 21 (if applicable). Once tenant leaves it would be chargeable to the bond, depending on the bond terms. Landlord would need proof that the damage was caused by the tenant in order to make a valid claim against the bond.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey0767 View Post
      The title is misleading but im a bit miffed as to what to do here.
      We have a tenant on benefits who called in regarding a broken Sani-Flo toilet. We had a contractor go out on our request and found the fault to be an entire packet of wipes lodged in the grinder. The Landlord is rightfully refusing to pay and the tenant has no means to do so. Meanwhile the contractor wants his money. We are holding a council bond and can only use this at the end of the agreement. What can I do? The contractor is also rightly saying we instructed him.
      Do we pay ourselves and recoup from the deposit eventually, get the landlord to pay and again recoup for them from the deposit or tell the contractor to chase the tenant.
      From my point of view I think we should pay and wait to take from the deposit but the bill is nearly £200.00.
      Just a few opinions would be helpful.
      Thanks.
      Are you the agent?

Did you provide T with specific instructions about the Sani Flow device? They are notoriously susceptible to blockage, also I bet it was a child that did the damage.

I would disagree with the previous post, it is normal for tenant to be responsible for unblocking drains (behaving in a tenant like manner... Lord Denning in the 50's) but as you said you instructed the contractor.

I would argue T needs to pay but whether that have the capacity is your call. If they generally behave I would advise L to pay and wait until they leave and take it from the deposit or perhaps take the cost in installments. Alternately L could claim from insurance

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
        The landlord is responsible for the repair - so he must pay the plumber.
        Originally posted by matthew_henson View Post
        I would disagree with the previous post, it is normal for tenant to be responsible for unblocking drains (behaving in a tenant like manner... Lord Denning in the 50's) but as you said you instructed the contractor.
        I can see where you are coming from, but if landlord (or his agent) called the plumber then the contract is between landlord and plumber - hence landlords responsibility.

The AST probably gives the landlord the right to charge the tenant for damages caused by the tenant. He must do that, if T doesn't pay then T will be in debt to the landlord.

Comment

I can see where you are coming from, but if landlord (or his agent) called the plumber then the contract is between landlord and plumber - hence landlords responsibility.
          You can see waht has happened though, toddler throws bag of baby wipe down loo and flushes it.

Sani Flow makes a fuss and dies, parent T goes to loo, flushes it and... nothing, concludes it is broken and call LA who obviously under their management contract asks a few questions and concludes the Sani Flow is dead. LA sends plumber who after a rather horrible dismantling job discovers the damn toddler is the culprit.

T by fact that they own the child is responsible but LA has instructed plumber which under the LA/L contract, L must pay for.

L needs to get money back from T but T has no money. Do you terminate/upset the tenancy over the issue, take a tenner a week for 6 months or just wait and keep taking the rent and regret the day you ever considered yourself daft enough to put a Sani Flow in a rental property

Comment

I think all of the above are relevant..and the tenant has confirmed/blamed the failure on the toddler!!
            I think, as she has been a good tenant, that we will pay and claim at the end...aren't we nice!!
            Thanks All.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
              by Renterthedragon
              I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
              18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
            • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
              by ash72
              I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
              18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
            • notifying utility companies of tenant change
              by flyingfreehold
              Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
              18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
            • Reply to Single parent renting
              by Hooper
              I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
              18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
            • Single parent renting
              by Dct
              A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
              18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
            • Reply to Single parent renting
              by Hudson01
              This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
              18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
            • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
              by Hudson01
              As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
              18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
            • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
              by Forgetmeknot
              I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
              so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
              18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
            • Reply to Let a house to local council
              by ram
              If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec,
              18-05-2022, 18:54 PM
            • Let a house to local council
              by r3drum
              Guys

Have a property which is currently marketed for rent ( 2 bedroom - fully renovated ). Been about 3 weeks and not had much interest shown.

Anyone got information or first hand knowledge around renting the property to the local councils or any other authorities which guarantee...
              20-11-2019, 11:58 AM
            Working...
            X