Can L demand £100 cleaning fee as per clause in AST?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprisingly, that thought has crossed my mind. I was thinking of dropping something down the inch gap between the kitchen work surface and the wall (who allows that to happen when having a kitchen installed?).

But yes, it has been a lesson learnt. I won't sign another contract before taking it home and diligently reading through it.

Is there anything that can be done about a rogue landlord? Short of naming and shaming (which people have already done) and informing as many authorities as I can (the borough I live in seems to have useless provisions, there doesn't seem to be anything that can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
      I cannot help feeling that a provision that a tenant must pay for cleaning and also carry out the cleaning must be unfair. If the payment were to be made if the tenant does not clean it would be different.
      I agree, but presumably this would have to be challenged in court?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by roryl View Post
        It seems to be a nice way for a LL to line their pockets without any effort; get the tenant to do the cleaning and demand a £100 'cleaning fee' that won't actually be used for cleaning.
        Not sure I agree with this one. You cannot be certain it will simply line the LL pockets as profit. My last experience made me realise that "clean" is an incredibly subjective word. And that "leave as you find it" is a phrase open to broad interpretation also, though it should not be!
        A previous tenant left and did spend a time cleaning on Friday before leaving. BUT it was nowhere near as it should be (or as we wanted it to be) and my wife and I spent Saturday (10am to 4pm) and Sunday (11am to 3pm) cleaning thoroughly to pristine levels. No money was deducted from their deposit either. We took it simply as a cost of business and it did enable us to 'get to know' the property again!
        Chas

Comment

Sorry, I didn't intend to generalise. I meant it in relation to my Landlord specifically, I understand most landlords are reputable.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Part furnished
            by theartfullodger
            Trust you've reported the thefts to police
            18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
          • Part furnished
            by Chester Perry
            Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
            18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
          • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
            by Bumblebee3000
            This is very helpful, MdeB, thank you. I will try to relax about the inventory now. In regards to the mould - the landlord has a letter from the curtain cleaning company stating that the mould has been "killed" during the cleaning. I actually spoke with the curtain cleaner when he was here...
            18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
          • Landlord refuses to sign inventory
            by Bumblebee3000
            We've recently rented a house that from the very start seemed badly taken care of - there were various problems like a mouldy washing machine/curtains, broken curtain rails, etc. When we arrived to meet the inventory clerk, we signed a 2-page document of handwritten inventory notes (we broadly agreed...
            17-09-2020, 20:13 PM
          • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
            by jpkeates
            The process seems to have changed recently.
            The landlord claims from the deposit and that claim should have a summary of what they are claiming and why.
            You dispute that and then you both have one chance to explain your side of the story.
            But you do that with only access to what the...
            18-09-2020, 13:57 PM
          • Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
            by Maymiss
            I am moving out of my rented home shortly, i have caused some damage which I notified the landlord of when it happened and they have recently visited to discuss the cost of repairs, which we have agreed. The landlord is now asking that I pay this money to them directly. It is not possible for the work...
            03-08-2020, 11:47 AM
          • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
            by jpkeates
            Every notice escalated to court is recorded and the figures published quarterly, so breaking out the s21 notices from the s8 shouldn't be complicated.

Two of the links are to House of Commons research papers, to be fair!...
            18-09-2020, 13:51 PM
          • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
            by fmST1
            When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
            I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
            11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
          • Reply to Part furnished
            by jpkeates
            It depends on your local market.
            Mine seems expect a fridge freezer and washing machine as an "unfurnished" property.

Blinds not curtains and it varies - usually whats been left behind (have had to add some blind safety hook things in the past).

Check ads for...
            18-09-2020, 13:48 PM
          • Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
            by boletus
            What are your arrears, ASB, and eviction rates as a % of all tenancies?
            18-09-2020, 13:41 PM
          Working...
          X