Electoral Role

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Electoral Role

    I have a lodger who is paying me £350 a month and I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could help me with.

    1. Do I have to notify anyone that I have a lodger?
    2. He wants to be added to the electoral role so not to damage his credit rating and also so he can vote. Are there any implications to this if I go ahead and add?

    Thanks for any help you can give.

    You should declare it to the local authority as it possible affects the rates you pay - if you were the sole occupant you will have enjoyed a 25% discount that you will now lose.

    Your lodger's request is not unreasonable.

    You might also have to declare any profit you make to HMRC unless the amounts are within the rent-a-room relief when you don't have to declare it (which I think it might be). Your local council should have details or you could put it into your search engine and find out further details easily.
    The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


    Latest Activity