L's title and address- what details required in Notices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L's title and address- what details required in Notices?

hi all

i have a few questions:

do i need to put the title on the name for the s21? ie. mr/ mrs/ miss, or isnt this necessary?

for s21 purposes, do i need to use the same address in all my correspondance? i sent rent arrears requests using 2 different addresses, my home address on one and office address on the other

would this be a problem when with section 8s? can the judge question these different addresses, stating that the tenant didnt know which address to pay the rent to?

the reason i am asking is that i got a call from the council - the tenant went to see them, he received a court letter today

she was asking me for our address, i told her to call back - if i give the other address that i used and not the one on the court possession forms, could this invalidate the s21? she was trying to catch me out and kept on mentioning i didnt provide him with the right address

thanks all

Personal titles ('Mr' etc.) are irrelevant. L's address is much more important; whichever one you use, be consistent.
    Also read-up on s.47/48 of LTA 1987 re what turns on L's address and for what purposes it's vital to be accurate.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by medlock
      hi all

i have a few questions:

do i need to put the title on the name for the s21? ie. mr/ mrs/ miss, or isnt this necessary?

for s21 purposes, do i need to use the same address in all my correspondance? i sent rent arrears requests using 2 different addresses, my home address on one and office address on the other

would this be a problem when with section 8s? can the judge question these different addresses, stating that the tenant didnt know which address to pay the rent to?

the reason i am asking is that i got a call from the council - the tenant went to see them, he received a court letter today

she was asking me for our address, i told her to call back - if i give the other address that i used and not the one on the court possession forms, could this invalidate the s21? she was trying to catch me out and kept on mentioning i didnt provide him with the right address

thanks all
      Mr/Mrs/Miss is not essential unless there are people with identical names with tenancies at the same address - unlikely, but possible in HMOs.

Tenant would not have a case of not knowing where to send rent providing you had a s48 notice (ie address to serve notices) on the tenancy agreement - I think this is a legal requirement.

Comment

thanks jeffrey

i'll use the same in future

is this important for section 21s also?

i take it the reason for having the correct address is mainly for the tenant to know where to pay the rent?

therefore, as an s21 isnt chasing any arrears, is the fact i've used inconsistent addresses that relevant?

on the court possession forms i used the same address as the contract address, my home address

rent collections are made at the office address

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X