• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts



    Not a question, but:

    I renently had a property where the tenant was complaining of the cold, so I was obliged to replace the windows and look at other insulation. The windows cost me what I would expect, however, I got a survey done and had the cavities filled and about 12cm of loft insulation put in. Sweating at the potential bill, I was only too please to find it would only cost me ..... wait for it ..... £200! There is a government grant you can use, so if you have a similar problem, or even if your house needs cavity filling, goto



    Thanks Darren - it so happens that I have within the last half hour needed this information.

    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.


      There is no obligation to replace windows that are sound, or to instal cavity insulation. If the property is cold then I'm afraid the tenant must turn up the heating or put on another jumper.
      The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


        Really! I thought it was the LL responsibility to ensure that the property was safe, cold leads to damp and damp leads to being ill. Largely accademic here because its in my interests to ensure the Property is nice to live in. it would be interesting to ascertain the lawfull position though.


        Latest Activity


        • Accelerated possession possible with section 8?
          by hazedunks
          Hey guys just wanted to check if there are no rent arrears and i simply want to recover the property back is it possible to use an accelerated possession order or does it have to be a standard possession with particular of claims form? Thanks.
          21-11-2019, 00:06 AM
        • Reply to Unilateral Break Clause
          by leaseholder64
          If this is verbatim, it is atrociously drafted. You don't, for example, receive a break clause. I'm still trying to work out how to interpret the smoking clause. I think this would have to go to court before one could say for certain what it means.
          20-11-2019, 23:40 PM
        • Unilateral Break Clause
          by PadHicks
          Hiya, I'm not good at this kind of thing.

          I moved​ ​​into a flat in London two weeks ago with a verbal agreement that the other T would not be smoking indoors, at the viewing. This is a joint contract.

          The contract says: "Smoking inside the property is not permitted...
          20-11-2019, 23:27 PM
        • Reply to Online Letting Agents
          by royw
          I've used openrent too and been happy with the service though it's been a couple of years since I needed a new tenant.
          20-11-2019, 22:28 PM
        • Online Letting Agents
          by kathekas
          Based on recommendations on this site we used uPad and we had what we thought was excellent service - sadly they have closed.

          What are the members current recommendations for online letting agents?

          Many thanks
          20-11-2019, 08:26 AM
        • Reply to Advise when buying a property
          by jpkeates
          Don't commit to anything until you have a proper evaluation of "leakages".
          You can negotiate at any point up to exchange of contracts - after that is possible but can be costly.

          As for fraud, yes, don't use email to do anything involving money.
          Ideally your solicitor...
          20-11-2019, 17:56 PM
        • Advise when buying a property
          by alejandrog89

          We have made an offer to a property in London and we are waiting for the mortgage to come through. However, offer has been accepted and process started. We heard the flat has some leakages so we are asking access to view the property with a plumber so he can tell the work that is needed....
          20-11-2019, 17:26 PM
        • Reply to Possession of Property advice
          by DPT57
          Have they said anything about why they're not paying the rent?...
          20-11-2019, 17:55 PM
        • Possession of Property advice
          by mirfie
          Hi, I am currently going through the process of evicting my tenants in a property via for not paying the rent. I'm in the early stages, and will in due course be serving a s.8 notice, but have a question. The rent is paid by the one of the tenants grandparents monthly and from what I understand, the...
          20-11-2019, 11:50 AM
        • Reply to Advise when buying a property
          by Flashback1966
          Is the leak from the flat above? In which case, that would be access to someone else's property. You don't have a right of entry. Or is it a leak from the roof, in which case, it is a shared building costs (so all the neighbours needs to pay for repairs).

          If it is a water pipe leak, it...
          20-11-2019, 17:54 PM