Using PCOL- s.8 of 1988 Act- success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

* BUMP *

I've just used pcol and everything seemed fine but right at the end it wouldn't process payment because it said my card number was invalid. I double checked my number and ensured it was correct but no joy.

My card is visa debit. The options in the list were either visa or visa/delta and trying either of these gave the same message. I don't think it can possibly be an issue with my bank because the message came back virtually instantly - it couldn't have gone away and checked anything.

Anyone else had similar problems? What's my next step now?

Also, when I do get this sorted, how quickly will the date come through from the courts? Presumably this will be sent through to the tenants as well?

Thanks,
    Kev

Comment

Therin you have it: you used a debit card! I have had this problem in the past: the instructions to the web designer were to set up the site to accept credit cards for payment, so this is precicely what it does! The minion who set up the specification for the web designer probably wanted to accept debit cards as well, but there is a difference and as he did not specify that debit cards as well as credit cards should be accepted, debit cards aren't!
      But then, what do you expect a civil servant, with his first class honours degree in both ancient latin and greek to know about credit/debit cards except that you can use them to pay for things!
      So, use a genuine credit card and your troubles may be over. (Note I did say "may"!)

P.P.
      Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

I have used my First Direct and LTSB DEBIT CARDS successfully quite a number of times - always goes through without any hitch.

Comment

Do I have any other alternative? I literally don't own a credit card.

Comment

Money Claim Online Help: 0845 601 5935
            Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Thanks - I found this number and called them but didn't get any joy. They said the system is being upgraded and to try debit card again next week.

I tried a family member's credit card (which they said is fine) but got exactly the same error.

Looks like it's knackered at the moment and there aren't any alternatives. Very frustrating.

I'll try and call them again later but I doubt I'll get anywhere. Will post again if I discover anything useful.

Comment

I finally got to the bottom of this without the helpline as they were very busy yesterday and the call queues were too long.

Using Mastercard, I managed to pay the £100 fee but I had to enter the valid from month/year - even though they're not marked as mandatory fields.

This may be the same for debit card but I didn't get a chance to try as it accepted the Mastercard.

I'm still not too familiar with these forums etc. so I don't know if there are stickies etc. but I'm pretty sure this information would be useful to others so please feel free to link to this thread or move it elsewhere.

Thanks again to everyone that's tried to help with this and other threads I've posted lately - this site is a goldmine of info.

Kev

Comment

Court date - what next?

Having successfully registered a possession claim through Pcol (and received a date upon payment) I just wondered what happens next. Specifically, do the courts write to my tenants? I was going to inform them anyway in the hope of springing them into action.

I'll be preparing all of the relevant paperwork shortly ahead of the court date (4 weeks-ish). Anything else I need to know or be thinking about?

Thanks all.

Comment

Do a search on my user name davidjohnbutton - I give plenty of guidance and tips.

No harm in writing to your tenants giving them a preview of the summons printed off from the PCOL site - it might just galvanise them into action.

One further little tip - although a S8 possesion does not require the deposit to be protected before issuing the S8 notice (like a S21 does), nevertheless if you have not protected it when you shold have then it is possible the tenant (usually under advice from a housing aid officer) might counterclaim for 3x penalty plus the deposit in order to reduce the arrears, potentially to a level below which the judge has to order mandatory possession.

A HARP officer tried this on me when I assisted a landlord at York Court recently when we had been generous enough to state an intention to ask for a 42 day possession order since the female had a 5 week old baby. I quoted the Draycott v. Hannings case to counter that and said we would insist on an immediate or 14 day PO if the HARP officer used that defence (even with the counterclaim it would not have brought the arrears down to below 2 months, so we would still have got the PO).

The HARP officer then dropped it after a further consultation with the tenants literally at the judges door and we got the 42 day order and uncontested judgment for the rent unpaid.

Comment

A HARP officer? Who's died and gone to Heaven?
                      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by davidjohnbutton View Post
                        Do a search on my user name davidjohnbutton - I give plenty of guidance and tips.
                        Is that you in a green shirt on a boat - with glasses and bushy moustache?
                        ;o)
                        Chas

Comment

It sure is - though that was taken in 1999 in
                          Tenerife when I was 45

HARP Jeffrey is Homeless Action Resource Project who appear in some county courts to give advice to the "about to be repossessed".

Comment

Originally posted by davidjohnbutton View Post

No harm in writing to your tenants giving them a preview of the summons printed off from the PCOL site - it might just galvanise them into action.

One further little tip - although a S8 possesion does not require the deposit to be protected before issuing the S8 notice (like a S21 does), nevertheless if you have not protected it when you shold have then it is possible the tenant (usually under advice from a housing aid officer) might counterclaim for 3x penalty plus the deposit in order to reduce the arrears, potentially to a level below which the judge has to order mandatory possession.

A HARP officer tried this on me when I assisted a landlord at York Court recently when we had been generous enough to state an intention to ask for a 42 day possession order since the female had a 5 week old baby. I quoted the Draycott v. Hannings case to counter that and said we would insist on an immediate or 14 day PO if the HARP officer used that defence (even with the counterclaim it would not have brought the arrears down to below 2 months, so we would still have got the PO).

The HARP officer then dropped it after a further consultation with the tenants literally at the judges door and we got the 42 day order and uncontested judgment for the rent unpaid.
                            Thanks muchly. As it stands no deposit is protected because I never received a deposit. I received £650 when it should have been £1500 (deposit plus first month), followed by £300 when it should have been £750, followed by £350 when it should have been £750. Nothing since then but a bunch of excuses.

Comment

Preparing for court

I have a court date on the 14th June to try and reclaim posession of my house. Here's what I'm going to be preparing.....
                              • A copy of the AST agreement
                              • A copy of the signed inventory
                              • A copy of the rent schedule and what has/hasn't been paid
                              • A copy of the section 8 I sent the tenants
                              • Proof of posting receipts for the section 8
                              • A copy of bank statements highlighting payments to date
                              • A copy of any written correspondence with tenants

I have communicated with my tenants via SMS on several occassions. I wonder if it is also worth trying to get printed copies of this?

Is there anything else that might be useful that I haven't included?

Thanks.

Comment

Which grounds are you using: 8 and 10 and 11 (or just one or two of them)?
                                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Sleeping joint landlord?
                                  by casual_reader
                                  Thanks, Mrs Mug, I did think as much but was just thrown by responses to another thread. Yes, it's just Person A's name on the contract. And it's obviously a matter for the relationship between the two owners that one has delegated anything relating to this property to the other....
                                  17-05-2022, 08:11 AM
                                • Sleeping joint landlord?
                                  by casual_reader
                                  Person A and Person B, two siblings, are unmortgaged owners of a freehold property as tenants-in-common.

Person A has permission from Person B to let the property. The tenants sign an agreement with Person A, to whom they pay rent. Person A also addresses all maintenance issues. The contract...
                                  16-05-2022, 06:34 AM
                                • evicting a DSS lodger, do I need a court order to do so?
                                  by Amazin
                                  she's been living with me for the past 2 years (we share the living space etc) but she keeps bring strangers back and stay here overnight on a regular basis. Having her living here is like having a couple. Before she moved in, she signed agreement that she need to ask my permission for having guests...
                                  17-05-2022, 08:08 AM
                                • Reply to Statutory declaration DPS
                                  by jpkeates
                                  The form needs to be signed by a solicitor (or notary) who’s checked your identity. But that’s it, from memory.
                                  17-05-2022, 07:27 AM
                                • Statutory declaration DPS
                                  by Lash
                                  Does anyone have experience with DPS stat declaration? When returning the statutory declaration from to DPS is it just literally the form I am returning? Or, do I also send additional information at that time too? Many thanks...
                                  17-05-2022, 07:17 AM
                                • Reply to S21 Abolition Query
                                  by Sol_1969
                                  Many thanks for taking the time to respond. I will follow your advice, let the tenancy become periodic and then serve a S13 notice with the rental increase. I will - out of politeness - give them notice beforehand so that the S13 does not come as a surprise.
                                  17-05-2022, 07:21 AM
                                • S21 Abolition Query
                                  by Sol_1969
                                  Hi,

Now that it looks like that S21 will be abolished, can anyone hazard a guess what will happen to S21 notices that were issued before the abolition but have not yet been completed?

I have tenants who are 12 months through a 24-month contract. I would like to serve a S21...
                                  16-05-2022, 10:32 AM
                                  by DoricPixie
                                  How will the tenants fight tooth and nail against a rent increase? Either the tenancy agreement says how and when the rent can be increased in the tenancy agreement or once the tenancy becomes periodic you can use a Section 13 notice. The former the tenants have already agreed to so there's nothing...
                                  17-05-2022, 06:07 AM
                                  by Sol_1969
                                  Thank you for your responses, a bit of explanation. I bought the house with the tenants in situ and it was part of the agreement on purchase that they get a 24-month contract. They are paying well below the market rate for the area. I want to put the rent up at the end of the 24-month period. But this...
                                  17-05-2022, 05:45 AM
                                • Reply to Sleeping joint landlord?
                                  by Mrs Mug
                                  Who's name is on your tenancy agreement? That is your landlord....
                                  17-05-2022, 05:42 AM
                                Working...
                                X