T dies; effect of death on Letting Agreement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, no-one is compelled to reply; and even the PRs cannot lawfully reply unless:
    a. they are named as Executors (in T's Will); or
    b. they have obtained a Grant of Letters of Administration.

But, once the Notice period has elapsed, you can apply to Court for possession.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Several largely similar questions on separate threads have been merged into this thread.

Comment

And my previous posts on this merged thread apply equally to post #86.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

AST Due end within one week and tenant has died

Hoping someone can help, have read through many of the other topics in relation to death of a tenant but none of them cover when to lease is due to expire which is in less that a weeks time.

My question is what happens, the tenant resided in the premises on his own however over the last few months he has given many friends and family a set of keys, I lease the whole of the premises and sublet the flat to him 5 years ago, i do not make any money on the premises as it was done purely to maintain the noise levels from the flat , he paid two weeks deposit and whilst i am sympathetic of what the family is going through as we had it earlier this year we also cannot afford not to have the property let. What happens next week when the lease has expired do we change the locks and who is responsible if friends who he gave the keys to take things from the premises. If the lease is expired would that mean if anyone decided to move in who has keys whilst no agreement is in place they would have squatters rights

Obviously we want this to be amicable with the family as the tenant himself was a lovely person, however i want to give them time to deal with it but also need to know what rights we have.

Claire

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
            by Lawcruncher
            In a case where the deposit protection rules do not apply how a deposit is dealt with depends on the terms on which it is held. What does the tenancy agreement or other relevant document say?
            19-05-2022, 09:14 AM
          • Is my estate agent misleading me?
            by abimsalabim
            I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
            18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
          • Reply to Single parent renting
            by Another Fine Mess
            I will never again rent to a family as my property is unsuitable.
            My first two tenants did not have any issue with damp.
            Then I rented it to a family where at the start of the tenancy the lady had a baby.
            Then a about 2 months later they started complaining to the Letting Agent about...
            19-05-2022, 09:14 AM
          • Single parent renting
            by Dct
            A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
            18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
          • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
            by jpkeates
            You might find a sympathetic judge.

But you have to consider what you're trying to argue.
            If you'd been in a car crash and were in hospital and unable to work, that wouldn't be a defence to not paying rent owed.
            You're trying to argue that it was the landlord driving the car...
            19-05-2022, 09:01 AM
          • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
            by Forgetmeknot
            I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
            so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
            18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
          • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
            by Forgetmeknot
            Thankyou for your replies.

Taking on board your comments but interested in how you think it is two separate things….?
            One action was the direct cause of another land if I’m in court disputing amount of money owed isn’t that the time to be arguing my case? Not to be receiving...
            19-05-2022, 08:32 AM
            by doobrey
            Certainly.

In my view, both sides must be free to choose. If you take away the right of businesses (which LLs are, whether they consider themselves to be or not) to assess risk and respond accordingly they will not be in business for very long. And if the LLs disappear then...
            19-05-2022, 08:18 AM
            by Dct
            The UC is too help pay for childcare, so she can work ( and does work full time), therefore pay rent/bills etc etc. It just feels like some landlords make sweeping judgements as soon as they hear single parent in receipt of UC
            19-05-2022, 08:16 AM
          • Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
            by DoricPixie
            You don't need to get the details from the Land Registry. The tenant can request, in writing, the letting agency to supply the landlord's contact details citing the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. I'm not sure how wise that would be if it could potentially hack off the landlord although I do wonder...
            19-05-2022, 08:09 AM
          Working...
          X