notice period & rent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    notice period & rent

    My tenant has given me 1 months notice of the end of the tenancy. In the email they specified that the move out date would be the 19th April. Now they are moving out on the 15th and will hand back the keys and check out on this date.

    Do I have the right to charge them to the 19th or should the rent be only up to the 15th when they check out?

    Many thanks in anticipation.

    Scribbler

    #2
    Rent is payable up to and including the date of expiry of the notice. Leaving early is the tenant's choice.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by scribbler View Post
      My tenant has given me 1 months notice of the end of the tenancy. In the email they specified that the move out date would be the 19th April. Now they are moving out on the 15th and will hand back the keys and check out on this date.

      Do I have the right to charge them to the 19th or should the rent be only up to the 15th when they check out?

      Many thanks in anticipation.

      Scribbler
      Just to quickly question.... On what day of the month did the original tenancy start? did the tenant give their notice prior to that date? The application of a months notice is that you will leave a month after the start of the next rent period not a month from date of notice.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by matthew_henson View Post
        Just to quickly question.... On what day of the month did the original tenancy start? did the tenant give their notice prior to that date? The application of a months notice is that you will leave a month after the start of the next rent period not a month from date of notice.
        Interesting but if the tenancy ends on 15th would this be overided anyway by new agreement/notice to quit on 19th - so rent is owed until 19th?
        Or would the tenancy end date take precedence over 19th regardless?

        Chas

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Charles19 View Post
          Interesting but if the tenancy ends on 15th would this be overided anyway by new agreement/notice to quit on 19th - so rent is owed until 19th?
          Or would the tenancy end date take precedence over 19th regardless?

          Chas
          No. If the tenancy period ends on the 15th and T wants to move out on the 19th, then y either have to come to an agreement with the LL to this effect or accept they will be liable for a further month's rent. Tenancy periods (if rent payable monthly) are whole months.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
            No. If the tenancy period ends on the 15th and T wants to move out on the 19th, then y either have to come to an agreement with the LL to this effect or accept they will be liable for a further month's rent. Tenancy periods (if rent payable monthly) are whole months.
            Makes sense to me but what you are saying is, there would need to have been a specific agreement for just a 4 day extension (to normal month tenancy) if it suited both parties fo rit to be valid? Would a simple letter of agreement mutually signed suffice for this?

            Of course this may not be relevent to this question...

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Charles19 View Post
              Interesting but if the tenancy ends on 15th would this be overided anyway by new agreement/notice to quit on 19th - so rent is owed until 19th?
              Or would the tenancy end date take precedence over 19th regardless?

              Chas
              That is quite different. Unless the agreement provides that the tenancy continues as periodic, no notice to quit can be served during the fixed term tenancy. The notice served by the tenant is therefore of no effect and rent is only payable up to the 15th if the tenant leaves on that day.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                That is quite different. Unless the agreement provides that the tenancy continues as periodic, no notice to quit can be served during the fixed term tenancy. The notice served by the tenant is therefore of no effect and rent is only payable up to the 15th if the tenant leaves on that day.
                Ah ha. Thanks. My AST has a periodic tenancy continuation clause so in my case the agreement would move to 19th on periodic - in this type of example. C

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Charles19 View Post
                  Ah ha. Thanks. My AST has a periodic tenancy continuation clause so in my case the agreement would move to 19th on periodic - in this type of example. C
                  What does you clause say?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                    What does you clause say?
                    2. The Term is to include any extension or continuation of the fixed term or a Statutory or Contractual Periodic Tenancy

                    Chas

                    Comment


                      #11
                      But that clause does not itself continue anything, contractually.
                      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                        That is quite different. Unless the agreement provides that the tenancy continues as periodic, no notice to quit can be served during the fixed term tenancy.
                        Does this not happen automatically from an AST - straight into a periodic -unless something else is agreed?
                        Or do you need to accept a rental payment for it to become 'live' periodic?
                        C

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                          But that clause does not itself continue anything, contractually.
                          No I realise it. Should I have a specific term included for this then or not worry?
                          C

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Charles19 View Post
                            Does this not happen automatically from an AST - straight into a periodic -unless something else is agreed?
                            Or do you need to accept a rental payment for it to become 'live' periodic?
                            No, it's automatic. See post #2 on http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...214#post205214
                            If L does not want an SPT to arise, he must serve s.8 or s.21 Notice sufficiently early in the fixed term.
                            If T does not want an SPT to arise, he must leave on fixed-term expiry.
                            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

                            Comment


                              #15
                              [QUOTE=jeffrey;205218]No, it's automatic. See post #2 on http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...214#post205214
                              If L does not want an SPT to arise, he must serve s.8 or s,21 Notice sufficiently early in the fixed term.
                              QUOTE]

                              Ah, so if I served a S21 with two months notice, then it would not run on into Periodic? What is it called then?

                              And only if and when I accept a rental payment does it becomes periodic - is that correct?
                              C

                              Comment

                              Latest Activity

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X