Late rent - again! No contact from tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late rent - again! No contact from tenants

I have text and rung tenants who have failed to pay this months rent. They have not replied or contacted us. I cannot arrange a time to visit if I cannot contact them. Can I let myself in? Where do I go from here?

Originally posted by Frustration View Post
    I Can I let myself in?
    What for? What do you intend to do?

How late is the payment?
    I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Can I let myself in?
      Illegal I am afraid, you can indeed be a trespasser in your own property and it is considered as harrasment which if taken far enough and causes T enough distress to leave will no doubt land you with a hefty fine for unlawful eviction.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew_henson View Post
        Illegal I am afraid, you can indeed be a trespasser in your own property and it is considered as harrasment which if taken far enough and causes T enough distress to leave will no doubt land you with a hefty fine for unlawful eviction.
        Is this true if the L has indeed contacted (or tried to as best efforts) and allowed enough time as per AST (normally 24 hrs) after notification before going in?

I would only consider this action if I had sent postal letter announcing my intention (if unable to contact via mobile or landline). Phones can be out of service/battery etc and should not be relied upon IMV.

Is this still illegal? If so what to do...as asked?
        Chas

Comment

Originally posted by Charles19 View Post
          Is this true if the L has indeed contacted (or tried to as best efforts) and allowed enough time as per AST (normally 24 hrs) after notification before going in?

I would only consider this action if I had sent postal letter announcing my intention (if unable to contact via mobile or landline). Phones can be out of service/battery etc and should not be relied upon IMV.

Is this still illegal? If so what to do...as asked?
          Chas
          I was making the assumption of the OP letting themself in without giving notice, however there is nothing to stop them showing up at the door to speak to T but any action which could be regarded as harrasement is unwise.

I personally would write (and get proof of posting rather than send registered) stateing that unless they pay in the next 7 days you will issue a section 8 eviction notice on ground 10 & 11. It is a bit of a weak threat in reality as it may not result in a mandatory eviction but it means you are serious.

As soon as T is two months in arrears issues a section 8 on ground 8,10 & 11

Is the tenancy an AST or has it gone periodic?

Comment

It is an AST. They are always 2 or 3 weeks late and as I have a mortgage on the place a kind of need the money to cover that (do Landlord's have no rights to have the money on time as per stated in the contract?). This months is 3 weeks late. I have not heard from them - we have sent letter urging payment, I have also text and rung. My family who live nearby said the curtains are permanently drawn and so I am worried about the rent and now the house itself.

Comment

It is an AST. They are always 2 or 3 weeks late and as I have a mortgage on the place a kind of need the money to cover that (do Landlord's have no rights to have the money on time as per stated in the contract?). This months is 3 weeks late. I have not heard from them - we have sent letter urging payment, I have also text and rung. My family who live nearby said the curtains are permanently drawn and so I am worried about the rent and now the house itself.
              I understand your frustration but there is always a possibility that tenants may pay late and so you really need to have several months worth of mortgage payments put by to meet your mortgage obligations in case your tenants don't pay in time or indeed at all. You cannot let yourself in without their permission unless there is some emergency that needs attending to. Late payment of rent is not such an emergency.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                by Renterthedragon
                I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
                18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
              • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
                by ash72
                I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
                18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
              • notifying utility companies of tenant change
                by flyingfreehold
                Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
                18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
              • Reply to Single parent renting
                by Hooper
                I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
                18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
              • Single parent renting
                by Dct
                A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
              • Reply to Single parent renting
                by Hudson01
                This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
                18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
              • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                by Hudson01
                As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
                18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
              • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                by Forgetmeknot
                I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
                so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
                18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
              • Reply to Let a house to local council
                by ram
                If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec,
                18-05-2022, 18:54 PM
              • Let a house to local council
                by r3drum
                Guys

Have a property which is currently marketed for rent ( 2 bedroom - fully renovated ). Been about 3 weeks and not had much interest shown.

Anyone got information or first hand knowledge around renting the property to the local councils or any other authorities which guarantee...
                20-11-2019, 11:58 AM
              Working...
              X