Late rent - again! No contact from tenants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Late rent - again! No contact from tenants

    I have text and rung tenants who have failed to pay this months rent. They have not replied or contacted us. I cannot arrange a time to visit if I cannot contact them. Can I let myself in? Where do I go from here?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Frustration View Post
    I Can I let myself in?
    What for? What do you intend to do?

    How late is the payment?
    I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Frustration View Post
      Can I let myself in?
      Illegal I am afraid, you can indeed be a trespasser in your own property and it is considered as harrasment which if taken far enough and causes T enough distress to leave will no doubt land you with a hefty fine for unlawful eviction.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by matthew_henson View Post
        Illegal I am afraid, you can indeed be a trespasser in your own property and it is considered as harrasment which if taken far enough and causes T enough distress to leave will no doubt land you with a hefty fine for unlawful eviction.
        Is this true if the L has indeed contacted (or tried to as best efforts) and allowed enough time as per AST (normally 24 hrs) after notification before going in?

        I would only consider this action if I had sent postal letter announcing my intention (if unable to contact via mobile or landline). Phones can be out of service/battery etc and should not be relied upon IMV.

        Is this still illegal? If so what to do...as asked?
        Chas

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Charles19 View Post
          Is this true if the L has indeed contacted (or tried to as best efforts) and allowed enough time as per AST (normally 24 hrs) after notification before going in?

          I would only consider this action if I had sent postal letter announcing my intention (if unable to contact via mobile or landline). Phones can be out of service/battery etc and should not be relied upon IMV.

          Is this still illegal? If so what to do...as asked?
          Chas
          I was making the assumption of the OP letting themself in without giving notice, however there is nothing to stop them showing up at the door to speak to T but any action which could be regarded as harrasement is unwise.

          I personally would write (and get proof of posting rather than send registered) stateing that unless they pay in the next 7 days you will issue a section 8 eviction notice on ground 10 & 11. It is a bit of a weak threat in reality as it may not result in a mandatory eviction but it means you are serious.

          As soon as T is two months in arrears issues a section 8 on ground 8,10 & 11

          Is the tenancy an AST or has it gone periodic?

          Comment


          • #6
            It is an AST. They are always 2 or 3 weeks late and as I have a mortgage on the place a kind of need the money to cover that (do Landlord's have no rights to have the money on time as per stated in the contract?). This months is 3 weeks late. I have not heard from them - we have sent letter urging payment, I have also text and rung. My family who live nearby said the curtains are permanently drawn and so I am worried about the rent and now the house itself.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Frustration View Post
              It is an AST. They are always 2 or 3 weeks late and as I have a mortgage on the place a kind of need the money to cover that (do Landlord's have no rights to have the money on time as per stated in the contract?). This months is 3 weeks late. I have not heard from them - we have sent letter urging payment, I have also text and rung. My family who live nearby said the curtains are permanently drawn and so I am worried about the rent and now the house itself.
              I understand your frustration but there is always a possibility that tenants may pay late and so you really need to have several months worth of mortgage payments put by to meet your mortgage obligations in case your tenants don't pay in time or indeed at all. You cannot let yourself in without their permission unless there is some emergency that needs attending to. Late payment of rent is not such an emergency.

              Comment

              Latest Activity

              Collapse

              • if we haven't signed the renewal are we still liable?
                Lexy333
                Our 6 month short term assured tenancy agreement ended on the 2nd August. We are with a reputable agency. We were invited to renew for a further 6 months back in July and were asked to email our confirmation that we wish to renew in writing. This I did. We were sent the renewal tenancy to sign. We have...
                22-08-2017, 14:00 PM
              • Reply to if we haven't signed the renewal are we still liable?
                mariner
                I would say your original AST continues as SPT.
                If now a new verbal AST, you may have a new fixed term and you cannot serve NTQ during fixed term (6 months?).
                Talk to LL directly, rather than LA.
                Why did you agree to a new AST, rather than request rolling over to SPT....
                23-08-2017, 00:30 AM
              • 6 year deposit claim
                MaliaZ
                Hi guys, I know that a tenant can claim a penalty on an unprotected deposit but I just wondered when the 6 year clock starts ticking.
                22-08-2017, 16:43 PM
              • Reply to 6 year deposit claim
                mariner
                As memory fades over time, can someone provide a 'sticky' for dates when key elements of LL&T Legislation changed? I believe Apr 2012 predates later deposit timescales.
                23-08-2017, 00:08 AM
              • NTQ during fixed term?
                vpltd
                Hi,
                Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
                (A residential let in England.)
                VPL.
                11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
              • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
                Wright76
                It's worth noting that guidance is under part 4 where tenant obviously is given notice to end of a period and therefore apportionment would not be applicable.

                The reference to the notice to quit ending the tenancy on the notice date does not change the fact that it obviously does however,...
                22-08-2017, 23:24 PM
              • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
                Wright76
                I think thats exactly what the section I have just quoted confirms.

                And thereafter, if you choose not to accept they are leaving as a result of the section 21 you must insist on a notice to quit or await a court ordering possession (where you will be ordered to apportion anyway)
                ...
                22-08-2017, 23:13 PM
              • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
                mariner
                A lot of energy has been expended in this debate. It has been suggested a LL has no need to take Court action if T apparently vacates after receiving a s21 but with no Notice. LL cannot safely assume has vacated without Court confirmation, to avoid a T allegation of 'illegal eviction'. Equally I would...
                22-08-2017, 23:00 PM
              • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
                Wright76
                If someone could copy and paste section 21 (4) a and b (I'm really not technical!), the law seems to recognise that a tenancy CAN end as a result of a section 21 and before a possession hearing.

                21(4)b........the tenancy could be brought to an end by notice to quit given by the landlord...
                22-08-2017, 22:38 PM
              • Reply to 6 year deposit claim
                KTC
                Assuming that the money originally paid had been used as a deposit for the single tenant tenancy, then 6 years and 30 days from when the 2012 tenancy started. And... if that was a fixed term tenancy, then 6 years and 30 days for any subseqent renwal and likewise from when it went periodic.
                22-08-2017, 22:22 PM
              Working...
              X