Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit protection problem

Hi,

Sorry I'm sure that this has been complained of a hundred times already on here.

I am on an assured shorthold tenancy which started in 2009 and ends in 2010.The landlord has never given me any idea of whether or where the £900 deposit is being held. I have phoned the providers/put my details in their websites and as far as possible I can't see that it is actually protected.

I havn't said anything to the landlord about it as yet, as I am not sure of what the legal situation would be? Should I?

Is there any chance of my getting some sort of compensation? From what I have read its a bit of a no-goer??

He is now starting to be difficult as the tenancy is in its last few months and I am a bit concerned about what is going to happen with the deposit.

Any advice gratefully received,

Plymouth

Give this a go:
    letter before action

Dear Mr XXXXXXXX

RE: 123 High Street, Anytown, AT1 2AA

On the XXX of XXX 20XX I/We paid you a tenancy deposit of £XXX in respect of the above property.

The Housing Act 2004 introduced the concept of "Tenancy Deposit Protection" and obliges private landlords to protect/register all tenancy deposits with one of 3 approved schemes.

I/We have verified with all three schemes that the deposit you hold was NOT protected by any scheme. This is unlawful.

You must refund the outstanding balance of my/our deposit IN FULL within 14 days. If you fail to do so, I/we shall sue you for the balance due PLUS the statutory penalty for non-protection of deposits, which is three times the value of the deposit.

Yours sincerely
    You are correct thet sueing for the deposit PLUS the 3x penalty is full of hazards, but claiming for the deposit alone is relatively straightforward via www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. Although the letter threatens the 3x penalty, no one can make you claim it!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
      Sonofahod
      Hi There,

I am planning to move out of a shared rental property in March. Foxtons, the agency managing the property want to charge me a £300 "Change of Occupancy" administration fee as we have not reached the full term of the tenancy. I realise that the fee covers both me leaving...
      23-01-2018, 13:16 PM
    • Reply to Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
      mariner
      Your information is severely deficient,
      Of course a move out inspection can be chargedeven with no move in report.
      You accepted LA fees by proceeding with Application.
      Deposit ADR cannot be used to contest Agency fees.
      24-01-2018, 02:53 AM
    • Attending Court - Advice Please
      Muzza
      Hi there

I posted recently about our tenant leaving and giving her ex the keys to our house, we have a court date of 4th January for which Im flying back to the UK to attend (no contact or rent received from the persons she has left in there still). I feel hes staying in there as long...
      12-12-2017, 18:03 PM
    • Reply to Attending Court - Advice Please
      Muzza
      Thank you, Ill take a look!
      24-01-2018, 02:31 AM
    • Broken Boiler
      andy967
      HI - our boiler broke yesterday - our landlord is currently waiting for a quote for a new boiler - however one of the problems we have is that she lives abroad. It consequently means she's able to speak to people in the uk about any sort of business matter for 3 hours in the afternoon. I'm wondering...
      23-01-2018, 13:55 PM
    • Reply to Broken Boiler
      Muzza
      I live in the US at the moment, 7 hours behind the UK, yes its difficult BUT when my boiler broke I had someone out within 2 days, one thing she should have in place is a boiler cover or she should have tradesmen lined up who she trusts so if something goes wrong she can get in touch with them immediately,...
      24-01-2018, 02:29 AM
    • Section 8 notice served, what next
      lakemk
      Hi section 8 notice was served for rent arrears last wk, it doesn’t look like the tenant is going to pay , my question is what should I do next to prepare me for the court as I never been.

I ve seen the post before abt the tenant may defend for disrepair, the house in fairly good condition...
      22-01-2018, 21:46 PM
    • Reply to Section 8 notice served, what next
      Muzza
      Hi - I attended court a few weeks ago, we used several grounds in the section 8, the mandatory one being the rent arrears, they didnt put a defence in, show up or pay so the judge just asked for proof I had served the section 8 (proof of postage receipts from the PO) and an up to date rent statement...
      24-01-2018, 02:24 AM
    • Leak into downstairs flat - advice
      Dberry
      Hi,

I'm new the forum and the UK and wonder if you can advise…
      I’ve recently moved to the UK from Canada and so I’m not sure of rights and liabilities... I moved into my flat a few months ago and caused a leak into the apartment below me by leaving the tap running in the bathroom...
      23-01-2018, 08:50 AM
    • Reply to Leak into downstairs flat - advice
      mariner
      T responsibility.
      24-01-2018, 02:13 AM
    Working...
    X