Credit File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit File

I know this is not strictly a rental question, but didn't really know where else to ask.

I have recently evicted 3 tenants from one of my properties.

I now wish to move into this property myself. I know that the gas, electric and water bills have not been paid.

My question is this :- will the bad credit rating that the tenant who's bills the name were in affect my credit rating?

I think that the credit checking companies (equifax and experian) used to flag up any bad debts on the address itself and not just the person.

I seem to remember hearing that this no longer applies.

Can anyone clarify the situation?

Regards

Tass

Wickerman is absolutely correct - it will not affect your credit rating. Your credit rating follows you around from property to property as will your former tenants rating.

Originally posted by Wickerman
    No, your credit rating is about you, not the property. Give experian a call - their helpdesk is really useful.
    Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

Thanks guys. Put my mind at rest.

Comment

However, if your property is in an area that has been "red ringed" by certain companies, you might still find difficulty. Red ringing is not officially supposed to happen - but realistically, it does!

Comment

Err...
          Explain please...

Comment

"Red ringing" or "red lining" is where a company literally draw a circle round an area and say that they are not giving anyone within the ringed area any credit.

Before Credit agencies like Experian and Equifax set themselves up, this was common and a means of disallowing credit to those areas where experience had taught the company that there were people in that area who were unlikely or didn't pay their bills. So whole swathes of an area became credit blighted.

A few companies still do this, though they are unlikely to admit it nowadays as it is discrimination.

Comment

Thank you DJB !! I was told by Direct Line exactly that but no one would believe it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X