Who is responsible for the drains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is responsible for the drains

Hi i was wondering who is responsible for the drains, I am leasing a shop with tenented flats above and the drains in the toilets are backing up for everyone, the landlord suggested that I am responsible for getting the blockage cleared up I was just wondering if this is truly right? Hope someone can advise about this.

Originally posted by simplybedrooms View Post
    Hi i was wondering who is responsible for the drains, I am leasing a shop with tenented flats above and the drains in the toilets are backing up for everyone, the landlord suggested that I am responsible for getting the blockage cleared up I was just wondering if this is truly right? Hope someone can advise about this.
    What does it say in your lease or tenancy agreement about the maintenance of the drains?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I had this one recently and we had to share the costs (though I claimed on my buildings insurance and only paid the excess of £50.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

As a general rule, blockages are the tenants responsibility (because they are caused by the tenant) and physical breakages to the pipework is the landlords responsibility UNLESS caused by the tenant (digging up garden or whatever). For residential (maybe commercial) properties built before the mid 1930s then the drains are the responsibility of the Water Board.

Comment

Residential: see s.11 of LTA 1985. Drains are unambiguously L's responsibility.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
            Even if the T blocked the drains by putting unsuitable items down them, for instance?

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
              As a general rule, blockages are the tenants responsibility (because they are caused by the tenant) and physical breakages to the pipework is the landlords responsibility UNLESS caused by the tenant (digging up garden or whatever)..
              Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
              Originally posted by p_cas View Post
              Even if the T blocked the drains by putting unsuitable items down them, for instance?
              I think the final responsibility lies with the LL, but most ASTs would give the LL the right for redress from the tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                I think the final responsibility lies with the LL, but most ASTs would give the LL the right for redress from the tenant.
                I agree; however, in cases of shared usage of drains (such as OP describes) it can be impossible to demonstrate, even on the the balance of probability, that Tenant X or Tenant Y caused the blockage. It is the nature of the 'stuff' which causes blockages in drains that, short of DNA tests, there isn't a foolproof way to determine where/whom it came from!

Easier with a joint tenancy and no other households sharing the drain.
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by p_cas View Post
                  I think the position is that the landlord is responsible, but can claim the cost from the tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                    I think the position is that the landlord is responsible, but can claim the cost from the tenant.
                    That might be difficult if the cost is shared, for example where the blockage is in a shared section of drain in a row of houses.
                    I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• if we haven't signed the renewal are we still liable?
                      Lexy333
                      Our 6 month short term assured tenancy agreement ended on the 2nd August. We are with a reputable agency. We were invited to renew for a further 6 months back in July and were asked to email our confirmation that we wish to renew in writing. This I did. We were sent the renewal tenancy to sign. We have...
                      22-08-2017, 14:00 PM
                    • Reply to if we haven't signed the renewal are we still liable?
                      mariner
                      I would say your original AST continues as SPT.
                      If now a new verbal AST, you may have a new fixed term and you cannot serve NTQ during fixed term (6 months?).
                      Talk to LL directly, rather than LA.
                      Why did you agree to a new AST, rather than request rolling over to SPT....
                      23-08-2017, 00:30 AM
                    • 6 year deposit claim
                      MaliaZ
                      Hi guys, I know that a tenant can claim a penalty on an unprotected deposit but I just wondered when the 6 year clock starts ticking.
                      22-08-2017, 16:43 PM
                    • Reply to 6 year deposit claim
                      mariner
                      As memory fades over time, can someone provide a 'sticky' for dates when key elements of LL&T Legislation changed? I believe Apr 2012 predates later deposit timescales.
                      23-08-2017, 00:08 AM
                    • NTQ during fixed term?
                      vpltd
                      Hi,
                      Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
                      (A residential let in England.)
                      VPL.
                      11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
                    • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
                      Wright76
                      It's worth noting that guidance is under part 4 where tenant obviously is given notice to end of a period and therefore apportionment would not be applicable.

The reference to the notice to quit ending the tenancy on the notice date does not change the fact that it obviously does however,...
                      22-08-2017, 23:24 PM
                      Wright76
                      I think thats exactly what the section I have just quoted confirms.

And thereafter, if you choose not to accept they are leaving as a result of the section 21 you must insist on a notice to quit or await a court ordering possession (where you will be ordered to apportion anyway)
                      22-08-2017, 23:13 PM
                      mariner
                      A lot of energy has been expended in this debate. It has been suggested a LL has no need to take Court action if T apparently vacates after receiving a s21 but with no Notice. LL cannot safely assume has vacated without Court confirmation, to avoid a T allegation of 'illegal eviction'. Equally I would...
                      22-08-2017, 23:00 PM
                      Wright76
                      If someone could copy and paste section 21 (4) a and b (I'm really not technical!), the law seems to recognise that a tenancy CAN end as a result of a section 21 and before a possession hearing.

21(4)b........the tenancy could be brought to an end by notice to quit given by the landlord...
                      22-08-2017, 22:38 PM
                    • Reply to 6 year deposit claim
                      KTC
                      Assuming that the money originally paid had been used as a deposit for the single tenant tenancy, then 6 years and 30 days from when the 2012 tenancy started. And... if that was a fixed term tenancy, then 6 years and 30 days for any subseqent renwal and likewise from when it went periodic.
                      22-08-2017, 22:22 PM
                    Working...
                    X