Just Before I Sign The Tennancy Agreement...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gabby71 View Post
    try to get my £200 back and hope for the best!
    No need to hope. Either you signed something to the effect that if you pulled out you forfeit the £200 or you didn't. Pretty straightforward.

Comment

What a shame!

I've been in a similar situation and I've turned down rubbish accommodation even though desperate to get out of a horrendously noisy flat. My way of thinking was that I did not want to move into another disastrous tenancy and be tied down for a minimum of six months. It's taken months of searching, but I'm finally moving out of this flat next week. Hurrah!

Some of us have higher expectations than others!

If the place you're looking at is not going to be cleaned to your standards and the LL is not willing to repaint (as someone else will take it in that condition), then would you be happy living with it? I think it's safe to assume that you would have to live with the rubbish windows as they are.

As the property is not as described on cleanliness/furnishing status, you should be able to argue your point if you want to withdraw. I also wouldn't let them come up with the argument that they've held the property for you for x amount of time and therefore you should be charged re-letting fees as they've changed the conditions as they go along.

I hope you haven't signed a tenancy agreement as yet.

PS. I'm talking from a T point of view. Don't have a clue as to legal issues. I know nuffink!

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
        No need to hope. Either you signed something to the effect that if you pulled out you forfeit the £200 or you didn't. Pretty straightforward.
        I agree, but surely if the property was advertised as unfurnished but turns out to be furnished and LL refuses to remove the furniture, what right of redress does T have?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Served S21 (Going to hearing) alongside a CCJ for 3 months arrears
          by MW1985
          Judges do review cases before the hearing. I have personal experience of one case where a letter came from the Judge's desk asking for a copy of a piece of evidence. Only a partial snippet was submitted in a bundle and the Judge's clerk wrote back saying the Judge requested the full document....
          01-10-2020, 13:11 PM
        • Served S21 (Going to hearing) alongside a CCJ for 3 months arrears
          by EeZee
          S21 overview
          Submitted a S21 to the courts in August, to hear that the defendant posted a defence 7th September and not within the 14 day deadline provided. Despite this, I was shocked to see that the defence still stands and that the judge has called us into a hearing.

Reading online...
          29-09-2020, 14:30 PM
        • Reply to Ex-Landlord won’t budge on deposit deductions
          by jpkeates
          I think I agree with you.
          It depends where the property is, though, because decorating costs vary around the country....
          01-10-2020, 12:59 PM
        • Ex-Landlord won’t budge on deposit deductions
          by Bellaby
          Hi me and my friend where co-tenants in a 2 bed flat for the past 15 months. The flat was fine and the landlord was ok, a little rude once to my friend who is Polish and it took him 3 months to complete a simple toilet repair but other than that he was fine.
          On checking out we hired a professional...
          01-10-2020, 10:45 AM
        • Reply to Tenant in Prison
          by hybrice
          I think you're referring to Section 8 Ground 14, which is discretionary and not where I'd hang my argument. Better to go in on arrears as it's a mandatory ground, obviously also cite ground 14 into the mix to make it more convincing, assuming you have proof that is the case - if you don't, it would...
          01-10-2020, 12:49 PM
        • Tenant in Prison
          by Smileypjd
          Hello
          Could I ask people their opinion on a predicament we find ourselves in.

Background.
          I started taking care of a small portfolio of lettings on behalf of my father. They are all within a courtyard setting on his farm.
          Arranging tenants and collecting rent is taken...
          30-09-2020, 09:09 AM
          by Bellaby
          I mean I offered to pay him £100 for the wall and £60 for the other bits. Also my contract hadn’t actually finished when I went to do the last few bits it finished the day after, we just moved out early to allow time for everything. I think £160 for a toilet seat 3 bulbs and 2 small walls to paint...
          01-10-2020, 12:29 PM
          by jpkeates
          I agree with this, although the landlord is also being a bit unreasonable.

The walls could be contentious.
          On the one (tenant favouring) extreme, the landlord was obviously going to paint the whole place anyway, so there was no loss linked to the damage done by the tenant. So there...
          01-10-2020, 11:44 AM
        • Reply to Tenant moves his girlfriend in
          by jpkeates
          I meant that the landlord couldn't charge the tenant for the specific things I was suggesting - I wasn't suggesting novating the agreement - novating a single person tenancy into a joint tenancy agreement is likely to be difficult.

However, I was also wrong - the landlord can charge the...
          01-10-2020, 11:39 AM
        • Tenant moves his girlfriend in
          by Hollywood
          Hi all, I've searched for similar thread but didn't succeed.
          My Tenant of 14 months, now on a SPT, has moved his girlfriend in. I'm ok with arrangement, it was mentioned by him when he first moved in but they split and nothing happened until now. He has been a good tenant so far & kindly...
          30-09-2020, 14:12 PM
        Working...
        X