Billed for Kitchen Lino

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billed for Kitchen Lino

I have recently moved out of my rented flat, my washing machine would not fit under the kitchen work surface so i had to place it as close to it as i could due to the plumbing but when the washer was on spin cycle it had lots of room to move. The foot on the washer made a small tear in the Lino flooring and when the washer moved the lino ripped, about a 2 inch tear.

The lino was 1 year old when i moved into the flat and i lived their for 3 years. I agreed that the Lino needed replacing and my LL said they would supply a quote, after a week they were going to charge me £374 for the new lino, i said i wasnt happy at that price and asked where my 3 qutes were, i was told it was not the companies policy to supply 3 quotes but to get someone they always use to do the lino.

I informed them that i have sought advice and i am able to get the lino done myself. i got a quote and had the new Lino fitted some £100 cheaper for the same quality lino as wss fitted.

I have been told i am entitled to of only pay a percentage for the Lino as it was used is this true and as i have paid already from my own pocket can i take my LL to a small claims court to get a percentage back.

Also am i right in thinking i have to of had 3 quotes for the Lino in the first place.

I have also been informed that a Lino should be secured to the floor by means of glue, this was told to me by the Lino fitter who said a change in the law made it a must for all Lino to be glued, if this is true when did this take effecct and where will i find any legislation to aid me in court.

Thank you in advance Parky632

Simple answers...

Depending on the quality of the lino, I personally would have expected you to pay either the repair costs or 40% of the replacement cost if it was good quality if it was not repairable. Cheap stuff (shorter lifespan) maybe 20%.

Because you replaced it yourself, you have no claim against the landlord - indeed, if he can prove the new lino is of a poorer quality than the stuff you replaced, he may still have a claim against you.

No obligation to get 3 quotes.

Only certain types of vinyl have to be bonded - see the manufacturers website for details. Not doing so would not be 'illegal' although it might invalidate the manufacturers guarantee.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, the Lino was of the same if not better quality. Is it written down anywhere that i should only pay a percentage, i have been informed by my new LL that it is but i cant find it anywhere and my new LL is out of the UK at present.

Comment

Originally posted by parky632 View Post
        Thanks for the reply, the Lino was of the same if not better quality. Is it written down anywhere that i should only pay a percentage, i have been informed by my new LL that it is but i cant find it anywhere and my new LL is out of the UK at present.
        It's not written down anywhere (AFAIK) but the lino if 4 years old, you are not obliged to pay for a 'new' product, just the value of what has been damaged. So, if the expected life of the lino was 5 years, and you have damaged it after 4, the landlord has lost one years worth. That one years worth is a fifth of its life, therefore he has lost a fifth of the cost.

Raise a dispute with the deposit company, they will decide what is fair.

Comment

Snorkerz, I suspect OP may have just missed out on deposit protection (pre April 07).
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X