Deposit not protected advice needed

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Deposit not protected advice needed

    Hello, I am posting today in the hope that someone can give me some advice regarding the situation my daughter finds herself in with her land lady.

    1)My daughter and her husband signed a new tenancy agreement in 2008, they had already been living at the same property, and had paid a deposit of £525, prior to the DPS coming into force.

    2)They Recently gave notice to quit and the land lady acknowledged this and their tenancy came to an end on April 2nd .

    3)The land lady on looking over the property was happy with the condition of the inside, but is trying to hold back £125 for damage to the garden fence. The fence was damaged in the wind recently and on inspection, one post is rotted off at ground level. The land lady is claiming that if my daughter had maintained the fence then the damage would not have been caused.

    4)I asked my daughter to ask the land lady about details of which Deposit protection scheme their deposit was in. The land lady just said that it wasn't in a scheme, because it didn't have to be, This I know is not correct.

    5)I have tried speaking to the land lady who refuses to deal with me, and she has told me to take her to court.

    I am wondering what is the best way to go about things from here.

    Thanks in advance


  • #2
    You are correct that the landlady should have protected the deposit. However, it is not unreasonable for her to refuse to deal with you, since you are not a party to the contract - has your daughter or her husband tried to negotiate?

    Failing negotiation or compromise, your daughter and her husband have two options; send a letter before action, then
    1. issue county court claim via form N1 or Money Claim Online for £125.
    2. issue county court claim via form N208 for non-compliance under s.214 of Housing Act 2004

    Option 1. will proceed via the small claims track, where costs are restricted and it is easy to pursue as a litigant-in-person. It's not entirely clear whether your daughter would be liable for the fence repair or not - she had an obligation to behave in a 'tenant-like' manner and this includes minor maintenance, as well as reporting disrepair before it worsens.

    Option 2. may proceed via the mutli-track, where both parties are exposed to the other party's legal costs, and the claim may well be defeated by the defendant either protecting the deposit late (see second link below), or returning it (your daughter may get the £125 back but end up liable for court fees and the landlady's solicitor's fees).



    • #3
      Thank you for the quick reply westminster. The land lady has offered to give my daughter £400 back as of today, if she accepts this, do you think it would be possible to serve her with an NI and pursue the £125 Through the small claims route. I was thinking that if she accepts the £400 that would be an end to the matter.

      Thanks again.


      • #4
        Originally posted by K_evin View Post
        The land lady has offered to give my daughter £400 back as of today, if she accepts this, do you think it would be possible to serve her with an NI and pursue the £125 Through the small claims route. I was thinking that if she accepts the £400 that would be an end to the matter.
        Only if your daughter agrees to the deduction of £125; so she should make it clear that she disputes it. This should be reiterated in the letter before action (keep a copy of the letter and post first class with a free certificate of posting, to be included as evidence in the claim).

        Remember that the deposit is your daughter's money, and it is for the landlady to prove to the court that she is entitled to keep any of it, i.e. that she has suffered a loss as a result of a breach of the tenancy agreement.

        I recommend buying a book on small claims procedure (look on Amazon), as it can be a little mystifying the first time.


        • #5
          Are we sure that this is an AST? Deposit protection applies only if it is.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).


          Latest Activity


          • Help re flatsharing legal position!
            Hello, I moved into a friend's flat when she moved out of London last year. It was agreed that I would pay market rate, would not need to pay a deposit, be able to bring various items into the flat, work from home, have a certain amount of storage etc.etc. I was also to share with my friend's then...
            24-07-2017, 13:18 PM
          • Reply to Help re flatsharing legal position!
            I'd find somewhere else and move out.
            Let your friend deal with the problem.

            If your flatmate threatens you or to destroy your goods, report them to the police (call into the station and put it on record - you might get lucky).
            If they actually do any damage, call the police...
            24-07-2017, 14:42 PM
          • Non- protected deposit, and disputes
            Q1 – Where is the rented property located? England

            Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this? Multiple tenants (a couple) - one tenancy agreement

            Q3 – What date did current TA start 01/11/2016

            Q4 – How long was initial fixed term 6 months
            24-07-2017, 12:25 PM
          • Reply to Non- protected deposit, and disputes
            If you served a s21 notice, it isn't valid because the deposit wasn't protected.
            You need to "return" the deposit in full to the tenant (or agree to use it in lieu of rent, or agree the damage) before you can serve notice under s21.

            Your tentants can sue you for a penalty...
            24-07-2017, 14:37 PM
          • Reply to Help re flatsharing legal position!
            Many thanks. It is only a verbal agreement (like so many flatsharing agreements are) with two months notice either way and that I would be given certain storage (some of which the Hungarian has nabbed), that I would be able to work from home, get a cleaner and bring items into the flat ie television...
            24-07-2017, 13:56 PM
          • Reply to Help re flatsharing legal position!
            The only thing that matters is your contract. What contract do YOU have (not what Emma has signed with someone else)?
            24-07-2017, 13:43 PM
          • Reply to Non- protected deposit, and disputes
            Unfortunately (I know its not going to be what you want to hear), I suggest you will have to chalk this one up to experience. Without an inventory you are up the proverbial without a paddle I'm afraid. In the grand scheme of things the damage you have described is very slight (bar perhaps the carpet)...
            24-07-2017, 13:04 PM
          • Landlord: When will I get a bailiff date?
            I'm so sorry if this has been asked before, but for some reason I am unable to search the forum as it's not bringing up any results.

            I know the eviction date will vary depending how busy the local courts are. My local court has indicated 6-8 weeks.

            My solicitor submitted a...
            24-07-2017, 12:04 PM
          • Tenant's energy debt.
            I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
            20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
          • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
            The deemed contract is with the owner or occupier and commences when gas is supplied.

            There's no obvious hierarchy of owner/occupier and, while there are references elsewhere to the owner being liable for things when the property is unoccupied, that isn't reflected in the deemed contract...
            24-07-2017, 11:47 AM