Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenants deposit

Hi all.
    Just a quick piece of advice if possible.
    My tenant is leaving a flaytI rent out. He originally left a £400 deposit which is protected but his brother wants to move in. They have both said to leave the original deposit where it is. Should I draw it out and then re-pay it in or put a 'nil' deposit on the new AST. I understand that the deposit would stay in original tenants name.

But whose name would the deposit be protected in? If you sign a new lease with the new person and you hold any kind of deposit it needs to be protected. And if you need to make use of the deposit when the second tenant finally goes it needs to be clear that the money you hold if for that purpose, otherwise you could be in all sorts of legal hot water. So yes - certainly refer on the lease to the amount held. With mydeposits.co.uk I know you can name any 'interested parties' in addition to the tenant, so that might be an option.

But to be honest, for the sake of clarity, assuming you're planning to return the whole deposit to the current brother I would ask for a letter from him stating that he wants you to transfer the amount to the incoming brother, just to cover yourself. Let them sort it out amongst themselves privately.

If you are making deductions however, I would make a clean paper trail and return the balance to brother 1 and then receive a new £400 from brother 2.

Grrr
    IANAL (I am not a lawyer). Anything I say here is just an opinion, so should not be relied upon! Always check your facts with a professional who really knows their onions.

Comment

Originally posted by Grrr View Post
      If you are making deductions however, I would make a clean paper trail and return the balance to brother 1 and then receive a new £400 from brother 2.
      I would definitely do that anyway, for the sake of the paper trail.

If you end up needing to make deductions from the deposit when the new tenant eventually quits, the very last thing you want is any form of water-muddying caused by the wrong name being associated with the tenant. It's difficult enough these days for the LL to get money back from a deposit without any added complications. It's really a trivial matter for you to refund and repay in the deposit; it might cause complications for your tenant as he'll presumably need to provide a second £400 before the first £400 is refunded, but that's his problem not yours!

Comment

Originally posted by shirleyb View Post
        Hi all.
        Just a quick piece of advice if possible.
        My tenant is leaving a flat I rent out. He originally left a £400 deposit which is protected but his brother wants to move in. They have both said to leave the original deposit where it is. Should I draw it out and then re-pay it in or put a 'nil' deposit on the new AST. I understand that the deposit would stay in original tenants name.
        Ignore what the tenant and his brother say they want. A deposit protected against the original tenancy, in the original tenant's name, is worthless if you need to claim deductions for damage or arrears relating to the new tenancy with the brother. All manner of complications (none to your advantage) could arise if you do as they suggest.

Their relationship to each other makes no difference in the eyes of the law. They are separate individuals. So, treat them as though they were unrelated; carry out the check-out inventory as usual at the end of T1's tenancy, and return the deposit to T1 (less any valid deductions). Then check-in and take and protect a deposit from T2 against T2's new tenancy.

Comment

I agree totally with Westminster.

However, you need to be aware that tenants are likely to give you grief because if the move-out day is (say) 25th, the deposit will not be returned to the 1st tenant until a good few days later even if there are no deductions.

You would be advised to ensure that the 2nd tenant gives you a full deposit on the move-in day - ie, the next day - before the original deposit is returned and well before DPS's cheque has cleared in 1st tenants account.

Agreeing to a deposit being paid once the first one is back and cleared would be suicidal - minimal chance of getting it and very little you can do in practical terms to put things right.

Comment

This is where I feel that Insurance based Tenancy Deposit schemes (TDS) are better than custodial schemes. (ie the landlord holds the money and pays to insure it rather than it being held by a third party who can take their time in refunding)

If you have a good relationship with a tenant and you trust them, you can return a deposit promptly (or maybe even in some cases, early). This can help them out no end if they need the cash for their next place.

Grrr
            IANAL (I am not a lawyer). Anything I say here is just an opinion, so should not be relied upon! Always check your facts with a professional who really knows their onions.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
              Berlingogirl
              This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
              27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
            • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
              Berlingogirl
              I'm trying to , jta, but I think he knows I know....
              27-07-2017, 20:16 PM
            • Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
              BouwensPB
              I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
              26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
            • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
              Wright76
              You are also aware you are now liable to pay her a penalty of up three times the deposit value?.

My experience of a drug addict is that they will leave with a financial offering.

Strike a deal taking into account your likely penalty and eviction costs and offer her an amount...
              27-07-2017, 19:10 PM
            • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
              theartfullodger
              Check insurance for what you must do knowing what you do....
              27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
            • Tips for making a good impression when meeting a landlord
              purpleangel
              Our potential new landlady has 'approved us in principle' but wants to meet us at the house as the final part in the referencing process. Beside the obvious such as look smart, tidy and professional and warn the kids to behave, any particular tips for making sure this last hurdle goes smoothly?
              26-07-2017, 10:11 AM
            • Reply to Tips for making a good impression when meeting a landlord
              Wright76
              Some of the above comments are crazy!. If they have aleady done their referencing and credit checks then they likely just want to meet you.

As someone said above, they are trusting you with their very valuable asset.

As a landlord I couldn't care less what clothes someone...
              27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
            • Landlord Address
              bsward
              Hello,

Tenancy finished a couple of months ago. The landlord withheld part of the deposit for a variety of reasons. As the tenant, I disputed those deductions as incorrect - they contradict the Checkout Report which was completed by an agent of the Landlord but that's besides the point....
              27-07-2017, 09:58 AM
            • Reply to Landlord Address
              theartfullodger
              As the tenancy has finished you have no right to his address from agent.

Have you spent £3 with land registry to get deeds of property & see who is listed as owner & what address?? (Landlord may not be owner... legal, no very uncommon...)
              https://www.gov.uk/search-propert...
              27-07-2017, 18:59 PM
            • Tenant's energy debt.
              Gordonmrln
              I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
              20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
            Working...
            X