X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusing Break Clause - help required

Hi,

I'm really glad I found this forum!

I moved into a property last year and was told that I was signing a 12 month contract with a 6 month break clause and the agent informed me that I could either leave at 6 months or at 12 months. I asked if this meant the contract would be rolling until 12 months and was told no.

I am just looking again at my contact as I will not be ready to leave after 6 months but do not want to stay in the property for the full 12 months.

There are 2 parts to the document The first says AST agreement 'Agreement Particulars' it states:

Point 5 titled 'Term of Tenancy'
    Twelve months from 13/11/2009 to 12/11/2010

Point 6 titled 'Break Clause'

The tenant shall be entitled to terminate this tenancy by giving notice to the landlord as follows:
    2.1 The period of notice to be a minimum of one calender month
    2.2 The notice can be served at any time during the tenancy term but will not take effect until after the first six months of the term
    2.3 The notice period will expire on the last day of a period of the tenancy and must be served in writing
    2.4 Notice must be served in accordance with the attached Tenancy Terms and conditions.

This document has been signed by both parties.

On reading this it seems to me that notice can be served any time after 6 months and that I do not have to stay for the full 12 month term - therefore if I handed in my notice in period 7 I could leave in period 8?

however, the second part of the document is called Tenancy terms and conditions - common law tenancy - it seems pretty standard and is 6 pages of small print - this has not been signed however each page has been initalled in the corner (although they don't look like mine!!!)

Here it states:

3.1.2 The notice period must be for a minimum of 2 calander months to end no earlier than the last day of the term of the tenancy as shown in the attached particulars.

This seems to contradict the first document - would they be able to hold me to the full 12 months as a result of this?

Any advice would be appreciated - please let me know if you need any further information

Thanks

Amber

Originally posted by ambergrace View Post
    Hi,

I'm really glad I found this forum!

I moved into a property last year and was told that I was signing a 12 month contract with a 6 month break clause and the agent informed me that I could either leave at 6 months or at 12 months. I asked if this meant the contract would be rolling until 12 months and was told no.

I am just looking again at my contact as I will not be ready to leave after 6 months but do not want to stay in the property for the full 12 months.

There are 2 parts to the document The first says AST agreement 'Agreement Particulars' it states:

Point 5 titled 'Term of Tenancy'
    Twelve months from 13/11/2009 to 12/11/2010

Point 6 titled 'Break Clause'

The tenant shall be entitled to terminate this tenancy by giving notice to the landlord as follows:
    2.1 The period of notice to be a minimum of one calender month
    2.2 The notice can be served at any time during the tenancy term but will not take effect until after the first six months of the term
    2.3 The notice period will expire on the last day of a period of the tenancy and must be served in writing
    2.4 Notice must be served in accordance with the attached Tenancy Terms and conditions.

This document has been signed by both parties.

On reading this it seems to me that notice can be served any time after 6 months and that I do not have to stay for the full 12 month term - therefore if I handed in my notice in period 7 I could leave in period 8?

however, the second part of the document is called Tenancy terms and conditions - common law tenancy - it seems pretty standard and is 6 pages of small print - this has not been signed however each page has been initalled in the corner (although they don't look like mine!!!)

Here it states:

3.1.2 The notice period must be for a minimum of 2 calander months to end no earlier than the last day of the term of the tenancy as shown in the attached particulars.

This seems to contradict the first document - would they be able to hold me to the full 12 months as a result of this?

Any advice would be appreciated - please let me know if you need any further information

Thanks

Amber
    Is the second half referred to anywhere in the first?

When you signed, was the second half there?

Comment

Hi Dominic,

Thanks for the reply,

The second half is referenced under the break clause section:

2.4 Notice must be served in accordance with the attached tenancy terms and conditions

Yes I did see it but I don't remember initialling it

Amber

Comment

The phrase 'common law tenancy' worries me - are you in England/Wales?

Comment

Hi, yes in England

Comment

Clause 3.2 flatly contradicts clause 2. I think it just has to be completely ignored as the document will be construed against the landlord. Apart from anything else, clause 3.2 is a nonsense and is no break clause at all since it only allows the term to be ended on its last day.

Comment

Hi Lawcrucher thanks for the reply - do you think I should contact the agency to discuss the matter now or just hand in my notice when ready as it states i am able to in the AST agreement particulars?

Comment

Originally posted by ambergrace View Post
                Hi Lawcrucher thanks for the reply - do you think I should contact the agency to discuss the matter now or just hand in my notice when ready as it states i am able to in the AST agreement particulars?
                Just give notice when you are ready.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                  Berlingogirl
                  This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
                  27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
                • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                  Berlingogirl
                  I'm trying to , jta, but I think he knows I know....
                  27-07-2017, 20:16 PM
                • Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                  BouwensPB
                  I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
                  26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
                • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                  Wright76
                  You are also aware you are now liable to pay her a penalty of up three times the deposit value?.

My experience of a drug addict is that they will leave with a financial offering.

Strike a deal taking into account your likely penalty and eviction costs and offer her an amount...
                  27-07-2017, 19:10 PM
                • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                  theartfullodger
                  Check insurance for what you must do knowing what you do....
                  27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
                • Tips for making a good impression when meeting a landlord
                  purpleangel
                  Our potential new landlady has 'approved us in principle' but wants to meet us at the house as the final part in the referencing process. Beside the obvious such as look smart, tidy and professional and warn the kids to behave, any particular tips for making sure this last hurdle goes smoothly?
                  26-07-2017, 10:11 AM
                • Reply to Tips for making a good impression when meeting a landlord
                  Wright76
                  Some of the above comments are crazy!. If they have aleady done their referencing and credit checks then they likely just want to meet you.

As someone said above, they are trusting you with their very valuable asset.

As a landlord I couldn't care less what clothes someone...
                  27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
                • Landlord Address
                  bsward
                  Hello,

Tenancy finished a couple of months ago. The landlord withheld part of the deposit for a variety of reasons. As the tenant, I disputed those deductions as incorrect - they contradict the Checkout Report which was completed by an agent of the Landlord but that's besides the point....
                  27-07-2017, 09:58 AM
                • Reply to Landlord Address
                  theartfullodger
                  As the tenancy has finished you have no right to his address from agent.

Have you spent £3 with land registry to get deeds of property & see who is listed as owner & what address?? (Landlord may not be owner... legal, no very uncommon...)
                  https://www.gov.uk/search-propert...
                  27-07-2017, 18:59 PM
                • Tenant's energy debt.
                  Gordonmrln
                  I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
                  20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
                Working...
                X