Dampness and Carpet Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dampness and Carpet Issues

    Hi, I have a problem with my flat im letting out. Firstly, the tenent reported dampness on the ceiling on the kitchen about 4 months ago and the agents informed us, we asked the agent to arrange a date for us to fix it and after a month got back to us and said that "it seems to be fine now", two months later they inspected the propoerty and said it was fine, damp patch only needed lick of paint. two weeks ago tenent complained that nothing had been done and it was worse, four days later we inspected ourself and ceiling had terrible mould issues. I have cleaned the ceiling with mould remover and painted with mould/water proof paint. Problem lies with the old hot water tank located in the kitchen near the ceiling, the tenent has the hot water tank on 24-7 and as it is old, condensation is gathering and spreading, we have asked if she only has it on when needed and not 24-7, but tenent wont. Is there anything we can do to inforce this until we can get a new hot water tank installed or can tenent do what tenent likes? there is nothing in the lease about it?

    Secondly, tenent asked about getting new carpets, carpets are only 2.5 yr old and were in perfect condition when tenent moved in. however they are now in a terrible state and would prob need replaced, who is liable for this? Is it myself or tenent or percentage for me and percentage for tenent?

  • #2
    See:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Concise-Ox...item2c535c3659
    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
    W.Churchill

    Comment


    • #3
      Er...may one ask why you have posted a link to the Concise Oxford English Dictionary, Rodent?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

      Comment


      • #4
        Condensation is a tenant issue - suggest she reads this
        http://www.aber.ac.uk/residential/en...sation-eng.pdf

        Any damage caused by tenant neglect is their problem and if not repaired by the time they leave would normally be a deposit issue.

        Carpet: 2½ years seems rather quick for a carpet to wear out. I would expect even cheapo 'rental' carpet to do 4-5 years.
        Personally, I would decline to replace the carpet. If they are in a less-good-state than they should be (ie throw out-able) when she leaves, then again it is a deposit issue. General rule of thumb:

        (Expected Lifespan - Age at leaving) X (Original Cost / Exp Lifespan)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          Er...may one ask why you have posted a link to the Concise Oxford English Dictionary, Rodent?
          Yes of course you can, but the tenent wont inforce it though.
          A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
          W.Churchill

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
            Yes of course you can, but the tenent wont inforce it though.
            In that case, we must take it as a sign that you are keen to learn to spell the rudiments of standard English spelling at last!

            Let us help:

            tenant
            won't
            enforce

            Just yell!
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
              In that case, we must take it as a sign that you are keen to learn to spell the rudiments of standard English spelling at last!

              Let us help:

              tenant
              won't
              enforce
              Oops. I think you need to re-read the post upon which the honourable Rodent was commenting...


              (I would have just written "Whoosh!" like I did last time I saw a reply like this but the significance of my remark was lost - another whoosh... )

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                Oops. I think you need to re-read the post upon which the honourable Rodent was commenting...


                (I would have just written "Whoosh!" like I did last time I saw a reply like this but the significance of my remark was lost - another whoosh... )
                Well, on closer examination I note that 'tenent' and' won't' are spelled non-standardly in OP's post, although there are plenty of people who commit worse crimes of orthography than that on this site... it's a bit rich of 'the honourable Rodent' (?!) to start pointing these things out, since he can't spell to save his grungy little whiskers!

                ...inforce, Rodent?
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post

                  (I would have just written "Whoosh!" like I did last time I saw a reply like this but the significance of my remark was lost - another whoosh... )
                  If you mean this :

                  http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ghlight=whoosh

                  ...then I just thought you were casting spells. That's why I added 'Expelliamus!', for good measure.

                  You are obviously too subtle for us thickos, Eric.
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                    If you mean this :

                    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ghlight=whoosh

                    ...then I just thought you were casting spells. That's why I added 'Expelliamus!', for good measure.
                    Oh yes - I did wonder what that was all about!

                    (FYI: whoosh! - common usage on other fora I frequent but apparently not here!)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                      Oh yes - I did wonder what that was all about!

                      (FYI: whoosh! - common usage on other fora I frequent but apparently not here!)
                      Well, now we know what you're on about, feel free to 'whoosh' at us as much as you like!
                      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by muirty View Post
                        Hi, I have a problem with my flat im letting out. Firstly, the tenent reported dampness on the ceiling on the kitchen about 4 months ago and the agents informed us, we asked the agent to arrange a date for us to fix it and after a month got back to us and said that "it seems to be fine now", two months later they inspected the propoerty and said it was fine, damp patch only needed lick of paint. two weeks ago tenent complained that nothing had been done and it was worse, four days later we inspected ourself and ceiling had terrible mould issues. I have cleaned the ceiling with mould remover and painted with mould/water proof paint. Problem lies with the old hot water tank located in the kitchen near the ceiling, the tenent has the hot water tank on 24-7 and as it is old, condensation is gathering and spreading, we have asked if she only has it on when needed and not 24-7, but tenent wont. Is there anything we can do to inforce this until we can get a new hot water tank installed or can tenent do what tenent likes? there is nothing in the lease about it?

                        Secondly, tenent asked about getting new carpets, carpets are only 2.5 yr old and were in perfect condition when tenent moved in. however they are now in a terrible state and would prob need replaced, who is liable for this? Is it myself or tenent or percentage for me and percentage for tenent?
                        A hot water tank will only produce condensation when is cold, moist air condenses on cold things, if she is keeping it hot it is almost certainly a leak and 100% your responsibility.

                        Are the carpets damaged or dirty? are they laid on underlay? without underlay they will wear through on only high points and get damaged. Again if that is the case it is not the tenants fault.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by muirty View Post
                          we have asked if she only has it on when needed and not 24-7, but tenent wont. Is there anything we can do to inforce this until we can get a new hot water tank installed or can tenent do what tenent likes? there is nothing in the lease about it?
                          I agree with matthew_henson; how can condensation be forming on the surface of a hot object? I think you need to carry out a proper inspection, not just make a guess from looking at the ceiling.

                          And no, you cannot really force the tenant to do anything, especially to comply with a provision which doesn't even exist - in the event of a breach you can either take legal action to evict and/or to recover the losses arising from a breach.

                          Secondly, tenent asked about getting new carpets, carpets are only 2.5 yr old and were in perfect condition when tenent moved in. however they are now in a terrible state and would prob need replaced, who is liable for this? Is it myself or tenent or percentage for me and percentage for tenent?
                          You have no statutory obligation to replace the carpets mid-tenancy (or pay any percentage).

                          T is liable for any damage to the carpets over and above fair wear and tear - carpets to do not last forever. If T causes actual damage such as burns or permanent stains, then T is only liable for a portion of the cost of replacement, depending on age/quality of carpet. For example, if it was a cheap carpet expected to last 5 years, new at start of tenancy, and T leaves after 2.5 years, then T is only liable for half the cost of replacement (of similar quality carpet), because you will have lost 2.5 years' worth of use (out of 5 yrs) of the carpet.

                          However, if the T disputes the damage, then in order to claim anything for damage, you'll need to prove the original good condition of the carpet at the start of the tenancy, and damaged condition at the end of the tenancy, i.e. proof that the T is responsible for the damage.

                          Did you have an inventory check-in carried out? If not, you may find it difficult to prove T's liability.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mind the gap View Post

                            Well, on closer examination I note that 'tenent' and' won't' are spelled non-standardly in OP's post, although there are plenty of people who commit worse crimes of orthography than that on this site... it's a bit rich of 'the honourable Rodent' (?!) to start pointing these things out, since he can't spell to save his grungy little whiskers!
                            I can spell just fine ...but the same can't be said for my dyslectic keyboard though !

                            Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                            ...inforce, Rodent?

                            ...and Whoosh again ! (see#1)
                            A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                            W.Churchill

                            Comment

                            Latest Activity

                            Collapse

                            • Tenant's energy debt.
                              Gordonmrln
                              I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
                              20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
                            • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                              leaseholder64
                              I wasn't aware that the identity of council tax payers was a public record. You might be able to get a statement that it wasn't you. without breaching the Data Protection Act.
                              23-07-2017, 23:27 PM
                            • Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                              JP23
                              Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

                              Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

                              Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
                              23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
                            • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                              jjlandlord
                              I'd hope so! They run a business after all....
                              23-07-2017, 22:32 PM
                            • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                              KTC
                              The main problem I have for the charge being passed on is that often times (esp. through agents) the charge is actually considerably more than the protection fee they pay the schemes. It's been used as another way for agents (or landlords) to make money.
                              23-07-2017, 22:29 PM
                            • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                              Wright76
                              Your still confusing your own council tax liability at your current address with that of the rental property.

                              If no-one was registered as living there then you would have been billed as landlord. The fact that you haven't been indicates that they are aware of who was tenant. ASK THEM FOR...
                              23-07-2017, 22:18 PM
                            • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                              Wright76
                              To be fair lvkn yes the rent covers everything you state, but the 48 pound charge Is your choice and is avoidable.

                              You choose to use an insurance based scheme and hold the tenants money collecting interest. How is it fair to force that charge on your tenant each time?

                              With...
                              23-07-2017, 22:06 PM
                            • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                              Lvkn
                              Hello
                              i am a landlord and have insurance based deposit protection (I hold the deposit in segregated client account and register it with My Deposits) every time a new contract is drawn up we have to pay £48. If a tenancy is renewed, we pay £48. If someone moves out of one of our multiple tenant...
                              23-07-2017, 20:27 PM
                            • Excessive estate agent fees
                              Cml241
                              I have a property which I started renting out via an agency. When the contract started, they found new tenants, did the relevant checks etc and charged an upfront fee which equates to approx one month's rent. As one year has almost passed, the agent has approached me asking if I want them to 'renegotiate'...
                              21-07-2017, 16:26 PM
                            • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
                              Wright76
                              If you have no ongoing contract with the agent and it was "find" only, they have no right to force you into a new AST.

                              Depending on the terms of your contract there's nothing to prevent you, if your feeling confident, in renewing the contract yourself and taking over.
                              ...
                              23-07-2017, 19:11 PM
                            Working...
                            X